A more appropriate Mint screen-shot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: A more appropriate Mint screen-shot

Post by catweazel »

Vilsen wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:40 am WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN ?
! ALWAYS !
NO
PRTSCR-key
BY ME
DECIDED
DECIDED
There really is no need to yell.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Vilsen.

I cannot make any decision what the default behaviour of mate-screenshot will be when someone presses <PrtScr>.
You want it to work silently just like genuine gnome-screenshot does.
I like that it asks me always before saving something to disk.
I gave my point of view in order to remind that whatever the default behaviour is, one group of users will like it that way, and another group will want the exact opposite default beaviour.

So what users consider the appropriate behaviour of mate-screenshot depends on their personal use of mate-screenshot. The developers will not be able to please everybody.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gm10

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 am So what users consider the appropriate behaviour of mate-screenshot depends on their personal use of mate-screenshot. The developers will not be able to please everybody.
Actually they could. Default behaviour should be as it currently is, but they could add an option to take them automatically instead. Since the option window can be brought up via the "Take screenshot" entry in the menu it could be toggled back when required.

Would be an easy change given the existing auto-save functionality in the original gnome-screenshot sources, but like you I'm happy with the default behaviour so don't ask me to do it. ;)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

phd21 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am Hi Vilsen,

There are other screenshot (printscreen) applications that anyone can install and use in any edition and version of Linux Mint like "Ksnip", "Shutter", "Flameshot", "Ksnapshot", etc... My favorite is "Ksnip" and can do what you want and much more.

Ksnip
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112&hilit=Ksnip

Hope this helps ...
To add to phd21's list of alternatives ... I like maim. It's nearly as simple as scrot but with the ability to capture the mouse pointer.

It's small and very customizable:
This takes a delayed screenshot --- useful for capturing drop-down menus, context menus, etc:
maim -d 10 ~/Pictures/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png && paplay /path/to/sound-file

This allows you to capture an area of interest:
maim -s ~/Pictures/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png && paplay /path/to/sound-file

This captures the active window:
maim -i $(xdotool getactivewindow) ~/Pictures/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png && paplay /path/to/sound-file
xdotool is required. xdotool is tiny and has other uses as well :)

This captures the full screen:
maim ~/Pictures/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png && paplay /path/to/sound-file

Notes:
you can save to anywhere else you choose instead of to ~/Pictures. Just change the command to taste.
the captured images are saved with a time-stamp for (my) convenience. You can use something else.
paplay on my system points to a small sound file with a sound like the old-fashioned camera shutter click: usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/camera-shutter.oga. If you don't want any sound, just omit && paplay ...

Obviously, I don't type the whole command each time. I've assigned keyboard shortcuts thusly:
Meta+Ctrl+D = delayed
Meta+Ctrl+A = active window
Meta+Ctrl+I = interactive (select the area you want)
Meta+Ctrl+W = whole screen capture.

The man page for maim describes other fancy things but I haven't the need for those.

Bottom line: you can make your own defaults!
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

karlchen wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 am Hi, Vilsen.

I cannot make any decision what the default behaviour of mate-screenshot will be when someone presses <PrtScr>.
You want it to work silently just like genuine gnome-screenshot does.
I like that it asks me always before saving something to disk.
I gave my point of view in order to remind that whatever the default behaviour is, one group of users will like it that way, and another group will want the exact opposite default beaviour.

So what users consider the appropriate behaviour of mate-screenshot depends on their personal use of mate-screenshot. The developers will not be able to please everybody.

Best regards,
Karl

With all respect for you and others who are knowledgeable in programming: How difficult can it be then to add the option for the user to SELECT if he wants a dialog box to be there or not? Still, it should be simple to use dconf editor or other means (text file ??) to tick or not tick a box where users can choose if I want or do not want a dialog box. Please - can you fix this ?? I'm also trying to use gnome screenshot instead of mint screenshot but then I got a "flash" instead - something I did not ask for. Unlike the flash I saw in KALI LINUX,which was a FLASH here was a tenth of a second, BLACK-screen . WHY? I know what I'm doing. I do not need confirmation that I pressed the PRTSCR key.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Vilsen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 am With all respect for you and others who are knowledgeable in programming: How difficult can it be then to add the option for the user to SELECT if he wants a dialog box to be there or not?
It would be straightforward but you're barking at the wrong people. Get in touch with the developers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Vilsen.

I have got the vague feeling we to manage to keep on misunderstanding each other. :(
Your question
Please - can you fix this ??
is asked in the wrong place and addressed to the wrong person.

Why to the wrong person: I am not a Mint developer. I am not a Mate developer. So little chance of me changing anything in mate-screenshot.
Why the wrong place: The Linux Mint forum is a user forum. Users help other users. This is not the best place to submit change requests.

The request to restore to mate-screenshot the genuine gnome-screenshot functionality of silently capturing the whole screen and saving it in $HOME/Pictures as a .png file, this request should be submitted to the Matedevelopers.
Their Github development page is here: MATE Desktop.

Only I do not see any hint how a person could submit a request there.
Maybe I am just blind, or they do not wish to be disturbed by user wishes.
(Perhaps someone can enlighten me/us how and where to submit change requests / feature requests affecting the Mate Desktop?! Those who know, please, speak up.)

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

karlchen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:36 am Those who know, please, speak up.)
Indeed. http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/
gm10

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:36 am The request to restore to mate-screenshot the genuine gnome-screenshot functionality of silently capturing the whole screen and saving it in $HOME/Pictures as a .png file, this request should be submitted to the Matedevelopers.
Their Github development page is here: MATE Desktop.

Only I do not see any hint how a person could submit a request there.
Maybe I am just blind, or they do not wish to be disturbed by user wishes.
(Perhaps someone can enlighten me/us how and where to submit change requests / feature requests affecting the Mate Desktop?! Please, speak up.)
Happy to shine a light into the darkness. The link you quite correctly provided is to the overall mate-desktop project. As you can see there are a number of repositories. Each of them usually represents a package on your system (it's no requirement but it's the logical way most projects set up their repositories). So let's see what mate screensaver belongs to:

Code: Select all

$ apt contains $(which mate-screenshot)
mate-utils: /usr/bin/mate-screenshot
There it is, it's in mate-utils:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-utils

Now if you want to submit a request or report a bug (the present issue is not a bug!), you click on Issues and then you check the list to see if it's already been requested and if it has, go add support to that request. Only if it hasn't go create your own. You'll find there are a few issues touching on parts of his request already.

Alternatively put your coding hat on, fork the repository, make the changes yourself and then create a pull request on the official repo to include your changes. That approach certainly has the best chance of success. ;)

Same principle if you ever want to suggest something to the Mint team on their github.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, gm10.

Oh I see.
I had got as far as mate-utils and found that mate-screenshot was a part of mate-utils.
Yet, then I had failed to notice that the [Issues] tab was the step to make in order to submit bug reports or feature requests. :oops:
I assume normal users will realize so immediately and intuitively. :wink:

Thanks.
Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 am
Vilsen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 am With all respect for you and others who are knowledgeable in programming: How difficult can it be then to add the option for the user to SELECT if he wants a dialog box to be there or not?
It would be straightforward but you're barking at the wrong people. Get in touch with the developers.
I apologise if I have offended you.
I am aware that you are not being paid. However, it is strange that
suddenly nothing is being done to help me. I have researched this
problem extensively for many years now but there appears to be
no obvious answer.
I apologise if I have offended you.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Vilsen wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:07 am I am aware that you are not being paid. However, it is strange that
suddenly nothing is being done to help me. I have researched this
problem extensively for many years now but there appears to be
no obvious answer.
What answer are you still looking for? I'm pretty sure we gave you all the answers you could possibly need in this thread so I find your reaction now bewildering to say the least.
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

If it were possible to do what has already been done over the years: improvements!

An important and obvious improvement of an otherwise useful and appropriate program
as a GNOME/MINT-screenshot would be to call up a window in a setting mode,
where I can do
the choices I want as if I want the mouse pointer to be included if the image ,
saved as jpeg or png, if the entire screen or active windows,

if audio or other spectacles occur when pressing the PrtSr key

and:
Which key to use: PrtScr / ScrollLock / PauseBreak, 3 unused keys
that are just sitting there, doing nothing from once the PC keyboard was born 40-50 years ago.

So, briefly: Get rid of the dialogue-box or give me as a user at least my own CHOICE to decide if I want this or not.

Take a look at the attached picture: why do these 2 differ so much?

I will continue to shut up and let the wisdom win!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Vilsen wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 am So, briefly: Get rid of the dialogue-box or give me as a user at least my own CHOICE to decide if I want this or not.
Contact the developers. But you've already been told that.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Vilsen wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 am So, briefly: Get rid of the dialogue-box or give me as a user at least my own CHOICE to decide if I want this or not.
We've told you where to ask for changes. It isn't here.

Also frankly I'd advise you to snap out of your "petulant child" mode. Stop demanding things and also stop shouting at people (caps). You are using software that you didn't pay for, didn't contribute anything to, nor have any other right to. You don't get to demand anything. If you cannot make the change that you want yourself then all you can do is hope someone else will do it on their own time. Better ask nicely.

Unless you go and hire someone to write the code for you, then you get to make demands at them all you want. ;)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

As it may easily be missed in the middle of the thread, let me repeat here, where the place is where you can raise feature requests related to mate-desktop:
karlchen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 amI had got as far as mate-utils and found that mate-screenshot was a part of mate-utils.
Yet, then I had failed to notice that the [Issues] tab was the step to make in order to submit bug reports or feature requests. :oops:
Lifeline
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

gm10 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:52 am
We've told you where to ask for changes. It isn't here.

Also frankly I'd advise you to snap out of your "petulant child" mode. Stop demanding things and also stop shouting at people (caps). You are using software that you didn't pay for, didn't contribute anything to, nor have any other right to. You don't get to demand anything. If you cannot make the change that you want yourself then all you can do is hope someone else will do it on their own time. Better ask nicely.

Unless you go and hire someone to write the code for you, then you get to make demands at them all you want. ;)

My CONTRIBUTIONS are probably the most important of all: namely to list the SHORTCOMINGS that a software has.
Manufacturers, Designers, and PROGRAMMERS are so knowledgeable and busy with their speciality
that they rarely notice the important thing we as USERS discover.

You could thank us for contributing with important observations.

You can not demand that a person who is familiar with and capable of programming to see what others have for the needs and wishes. I have several knowledgeable programmers in the acquaintance circle (but they work in the windows environment and are stubborn and do not want to switch to linux) and they exhibit the same disease behavior. It is often that you have a narrowness and a difficulty to realize that the wishes of others are as important as the ones themselves are the right ones.

I think it's strange that people who know how to behave are so pissed out irritated when someone is looking for a solution to an important issue.

I apologize if google-translate does not perform its mission correctly as it is a free product.
Maybe my English is not as it should be.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Vilsen wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:34 am My CONTRIBUTIONS are probably the most important of all: namely to list the SHORTCOMINGS that a software has.
Manufacturers, Designers, and PROGRAMMERS are so knowledgeable and busy with their speciality
that they rarely notice the important thing we as USERS discover.
FEATURE REQUESTS GO ON THIS PAGE HERE: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-utils/issues
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vilsen »

I recently tried another distro of linux , I think it was Fedora or Debian or something and
I was surprised to discover that the PrtSr resulted in a screen-capture WITHOUT the dialoguebox

but with BOTH a sound AND a FLASH !

If it is possible to make it flash and with sound I am sure it is possible to make it WITHOUT !
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Vilsen wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 am If it is possible to make it flash and with sound I am sure it is possible to make it WITHOUT !
Yes, it is. You can take their tool and fork it and edit out those parts.

Try to understand that most people probably want some kind of confirmation that what they attempted to do actually happened.

Return to “Beginner Questions”