Is Linux Mint ugly?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mika34

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by mika34 »

Hi,

Thanks for this topic. I use Linux Mint at my job, at home on computers that I want to keep them very stable. Linux Mint is one of my favorite distro, well crafted, with some good tools :
mintUpdate is nice, perfect to integrate PPAs ;
mintSoftware is a great tool too, the flatpak integration is awesome ;
with timeshift you have an easy to use-ready to go backup tool ;
I find Cinnamon is a great DE (though I rather use Xfce), add some applets and plugins to it is very intuitive thanks to spice.

BUT

I'm sorry to tell this, but I agree with those who find Mint ugly. Things tend to go better with mint-y which is OK, but Mint-x was an outdated theme, the icon theme was an ugly mash (see the firefox icon ugh), and from this point of view the release of mint-y themes is a good thing. It's nice that there are several icons color, but I'm sorry that mint-y theme and window decorator are not declined in various color (I don't like the mint green)

I think that the main problem with that green is that it tend to replace colors which should be (to my mind) more semantic at the usage. Let me explain : in most interface I see an association between colors and actions :
the green color is for something that is ok (or to click on yes) ;
the red color is for close button, emergency warnings etc...
the grey is used on some elements that are not clickable for example ;
blue is ordinary good for surround selection (as in most OS)

This is the usage that we can see in Windows, KDE, OSX, Twitter bootstap etc... From this point of view, I find that Arc theme fit better these ergonomic needs.

So I would be glad to use a linux mint with more, and better chosen colors.

One more thing : Ubuntu, elementary, Xubuntu, Manjaro Deepin, etc. have nice wallpapers, it would be nice if there was more nice default wallpapers on Mint. Maybe we could organize a wallpaper contest ? (as does xubuntu)

And one last thing : please change this website color, it makes my eyes bleeding ><
gm10

Post by gm10 »

mika34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm (I don't like the mint green)
Well, it's called Linux Mint, so sorry to tell you but you won't get around that green colour. :
Maybe you could fork a Linux Prune. :lol:
mika34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm And one last thing : please change this website color, it makes my eyes bleeding ><
You can do that yourself in your user control panel, there's a blueish theme available.
mika34

Post by mika34 »

mika34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm And one last thing : please change this website color, it makes my eyes bleeding ><
You can do that yourself in your user control panel, there's a blueish theme available.
[/quote]

Well, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip :)

However it's a pity that by default people have to read post on a website whose color is neither convenient for reading, nor aesthetic at all !
Change it for black, grey colors on white background ! Stay simple :p
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

And one last thing : please change this website color, it makes my eyes bleeding ><
If I remember correctly, they tried doing that not long ago and everyone through a fit :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

mika34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:20 pm Change it for black, grey colors on white background !
Definitely not, at least as the default. That is about the worst combination for me as regards eyestrain. I prefer dark themes myself; these could perhaps be implemented as choices in the Forum settings if enough people are likely to benefit from it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
mika34

Post by mika34 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 pm
mika34 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:20 pm Change it for black, grey colors on white background !
Definitely not, at least as the default. That is about the worst combination for me as regards eyestrain. I prefer dark themes myself; these could perhaps be implemented as choices in the Forum settings if enough people are likely to benefit from it.
Of course, theme should remain customizable for authenticated users ; but default theme could be more appealing, and fit widely with what average people could accept
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mika34 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am default theme could be more appealing, and fit widely with what average people could accept
I'm not sure whether I'm average, but I like this green theme just fine. It's calm.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Moem wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 am
mika34 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am default theme could be more appealing, and fit widely with what average people could accept
I'm not sure whether I'm average, but I like this green theme just fine. It's calm.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the default changed awhile back after some upgrade and people complained that it wasn't green anymore?

I hope the amount of time this thread has stayed active and all the various and differing opinions on what "looks good" helps everyone understand just how impossible it is to create a style that will make everyone happy :) It will never happen. The best you can do is try for the majority liking it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JosephM wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm I hope the amount of time this thread has stayed active and all the various and differing opinions on what "looks good" helps everyone understand just how impossible it is to create a style that will make everyone happy :) It will never happen. The best you can do is try for the majority liking it.
Thought that went without saying.

Actually my main take from this thread is many users apparently choose their distribution based on the initial screenshot they see, or maybe the way the live USB looks. Maybe the ability to theme it should be stressed more. And improved upon - for example, Ubuntu MATE comes with the mate-tweak tool with a nifty dropdown to easily switch between a few pre-defined and very different panel layouts, Mint MATE has nothing like that. Deepin runs a guided welcome app on first run that includes choosing between a few basic layout choices. Those are all easy tricks to show the user the flexibility of the desktop.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Main thing: Linux system is here because all those people donations, Ignoring what people wish about Linux Mint is broking one most important RULE. "Customer is always right"!! It looks to me, Linux is adapting Windows attitude..."We know better". How many times I read about "side sliders" are thin, about less and less options to customize.......Many update later NOTHING CHANGE! That's tooooo bad!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Thought that went without saying.
You'd think so but from reading this thread I think maybe it did need to be said ;)
for example, Ubuntu MATE comes with the mate-tweak tool with a nifty dropdown to easily switch between a few pre-defined and very different panel layouts, Mint MATE has nothing like that. Deepin runs a guided welcome app on first run that includes choosing between a few basic layout choices.
This is a fair point expect for one glaring omission. The examples you pointed to are things that provide one single DE. Mint provides 3 options. That means either developing a separate tool for each or trying to write one that works with all three.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Rtep wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:22 pm Main thing: Linux system is here because all those people donations, Ignoring what people wish about Linux Mint is broking one most important RULE. "Customer is always right"!! It looks to me, Linux is adapting Windows attitude..."We know better". How many times I read about "side sliders" are thin, about less and less options to customize.......Many update later NOTHING CHANGE! That's tooooo bad!
I'm sorry but you're ignoring reality. You're ignoring the fact that those comments and posts come from people who don't like them. And I've read them over the years. They usually seem to come from the same handful of people. People who like them or are good with them don't say anything. And seeing a lot of feedback from Mint users all over the place would lead me to believe the majority don't have an issue or prefer them the way they are.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

I'm sorry but YOU'RE ignoring reality. Read all post anywhere after LM Tara 19 was released! That was tsunami of people supporting my findings!
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

Yes Linux mint is a tool but what is wrong in wanting it to have an attractive interface? One that is visibly nice to look at right out of the box. I want people to turn from Windows to linux and be convinced that it is not a second hand generic operating system. First impressions count, and I assume that many who consider switching to linux steer away from the less attractive Linux distro's even if they are stable and functional, in favor of those that are more attractive in appearance. With that said I do not think that linux Mint is ugly but I wouldn't call it attractive either. A change from the flat Icon look would be nice though. It still looks nice and even though I have only been a linux user for about two years now I have had very little problems with this OS. I have gotten more used to it now and have no desire to go back to windows. Thanks to all of you who have made this so great!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rc_racer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 am A change from the flat Icon look would be nice though.
So... back to the previous version?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

No, not to go to "previous version, just accept what people like to be changed. They are customers who donate money and they want to be heard!!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Rtep wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 am No, not to go to "previous version
But the previous version had non-flat icons as the default. I thought you wanted a change from flat icons.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

A Linux Mint user, even a donator is not a "customer"! They/we are not buying anything, except maybe the media from OSDisc or merchandise from the Mint store. We are members of the Linux community, free to not be tarred with that commercial term. :wink: :mrgreen:

Like a lot of people I'm not a particular fan of flat icons etc., but I'm sure different themes are available (haven't tried Mint 19 yet). Perhaps it may be a good idea to show some alternative themes below the images of the default ones, clearly identifying them as such & with a quick guide "How to customize the look and feel of your Desktop and applications" .. along those lines?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

Moem wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:16 am
rc_racer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 am A change from the flat Icon look would be nice though.
So... back to the previous version?
I'm in agreement with the statement no "just accept what people like to be changed" and perhaps the tsunami of people who don't say anything just might mean that it is 'not that they wouldn't like some changes," but like it well enough as it is, and accept the fact that it isn't likely that there will be any. For now I think I will stay with Linux Mint cinnamon (sarah) instead of upgrading to 19 .Also I Just want to mention the fact, and that I appreciate the fact, that at least I have that choice in Mint without feeling that I am being forced to comply with an upgrade (like in windows) -Not planing on leaving Linux anytime soon
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

BG405 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm A Linux Mint user, even a donator is not a "customer"! They/we are not buying anything, except maybe the media from OSDisc or merchandise from the Mint store. We are members of the Linux community, free to not be tarred with that commercial term. :wink: :mrgreen:

Like a lot of people I'm not a particular fan of flat icons etc., but I'm sure different themes are available (haven't tried Mint 19 yet).
Perhaps it may be a good idea to show some alternative themes below the images of the default ones, clearly identifying them as such & with a quick guide "How to customize the look and feel of your Desktop and applications" .. along those lines?
That sounds like a great idea to me

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”