[Solved]Driver Manager and VirtualBox (Linux Mint 19 Mate guest)

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlexCa

[Solved]Driver Manager and VirtualBox (Linux Mint 19 Mate guest)

Post by AlexCa »

Hi,

I recently installed Linux Mint 19 MATE in VirtualBox. I already installed the guest additions.
Afterwards, i ran the driver manager and, given the options, selected to install "virtualbox-guest-x11"

Now, if I run the Driver Manager, I get this screen:

Is this ok or should i change something?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Driver Manager

Post by smurphos »

What version of Vbox are you using and what host OS are you running on?

You don't normally need to activate any of the versions of guest additions presented in Driver Manager if you've installed them already via the devices > insert guest additions CD image method in VBox.

The Driver Manager versions are from the Ubuntu repo and are matched to the vbox version available in the repo. They may not work well or at all if they don't match the Vbox version running on the host.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AlexCa

Post by AlexCa »

I'm running Version 5.2.18 of VirtualBox in Windows 10 host.

Thank you for the info!
So, if I understood correclty, since I'm running it in VirtualBox and already installed the guest additions, in this case there's no need to use Driver manager.

I've chosen "do not use the device", restarted and re-installed the guest additions, just to be sure.
Did not ran Driver Manager anymore. All seems to be working fine.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That's good

I was actually just testing what happens if I install them from Driver Manager on Vbox 5.2.18 on a Cinnamon 19 host with a Mate 19 guest with the guest additions already installed - the install hung - restarted driver manager and now I appear to have lost net access in the guest.. :roll: So yeah best to avoid the Driver Manager versions... :D
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AlexCa

Post by AlexCa »

I'm glad I've asked :) Thank you!

Return to “Virtual Machines”