(solved) doesn't shut down, hangs at "acpid exiting"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

(solved) doesn't shut down, hangs at "acpid exiting"

Post by rdh61 »

Hi,
I’m getting shut down hanging systematically after the green bar finishes. I get a black screen with the words: “acpid exiting”. It hangs there. I see some others have had this problem, and I’ve tried all the things I’ve seen suggested here so far, to no avail. I’m running this on an Acer Travelmate 4001LMi.

I am a newbie and a potential (though uncertain) linux convert, fed up with Microsoft’s market strategy of throwing out insufficiently tested products at exorbitant prices. While I am reasonably computer competent as a user, I am not a technofile or an aficionado. I definitely do NOT want to spend hours tinkering (there are better things to do). Just as I don't need to know the precise thermodynamics of my engine in order to drive my car from A to B, similarly I don't wish to immerse myself in technospeak and unlimited misery just to get my computer in sufficient working order to send an email or set up a spreadsheet without it crashing. I am just a normal, every day user who (perhaps mistakenly) assumes that a computer should make life easier, not more difficult. To me, a kernel is a nut. So my first question to myself was, should I even be thinking about linux?!

But I was attracted by Linux Mint’s stated mission to make it easy and provide everything working out of the box. Imagine my disappointment when on installing I found that Linux Mint does not, in fact, work out of the box. Lots of good things about it and for that, much credit; but if it can’t do something basic like shut down?

Can any kind soul help me out of this in layman’s language? Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: doesn't shut down, hangs at "acpid exiting"

Post by Husse »

Have you tried the suggestion to force a shut down of networking suggested here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p116284
I have searched extensively and only found variations of this
I have this problem and as yet I have not managed to solve it but my system is beginning to be a bit unstable* so the cause for me may be different
My time is limited so I can't hunt for a solution now but I'll add it to my list
*Played a bit too much :)
gnomeorkde

Post by gnomeorkde »

I had the "acpid exiting:" problem on my Acer Aspire laptop for Mint 6 main edition and couldn't solve it despite following advice in these forums and elsewhere. The problem has, however, vanished for Mint 7 RC1 so here's hoping it doesn't come back on Mint 8 or later....I've never had the problem on my Dell desktop.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rdh61 »

Husse:

Yes, I tried that but it didn't resolve the issue.

gnomeorkde:

I'll try Mint 7 RC1.

Thanks to both. I'll get back if I have any news.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rdh61 »

I can - gladly - confirm that Mint 7 RC1 has got over the problem for me.
Husse

Re: doesn't shut down, hangs at "acpid exiting" solved

Post by Husse »

I consider this solved then

Return to “Beginner Questions”