Why does MINT 19 run slow? No AMD drivers?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thename
Level 1
Level 1

Why does MINT 19 run slow? No AMD drivers?

Post by thename » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:35 am

Dreamfall chapters has low frame rates no matter the settings, and it ran fine under mint 18.

Does this have anything to do with there being no AMD drivers? I clicked on drivers in the welcome screen and none come up.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Why does MINT 19 run slow? No AMD drivers?

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 am

Hard to say exactly if you don't include any useful system info at all. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots please):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
However there are some generalizatons you can make with AMD on Linux. If it's a pre 6xxx series AMD card the open source driver (radeon) is all that's available in any Linux distro. If it's new enough you can use apdgpu or amdgpu-pro. Can't tell without knowing the card. I don't think either would show up in Driver Manager anyway ... that's only used for closed source drivers and I don't think AMD is doing that any more.

Just don't go to the AMD site and download the latest Linux driver. That may work in WIndows but in Linux I wouldn't count on it.

concrete
Level 1
Level 1

Post by concrete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am

On this, why is there no longer a download for the AMD cpu?

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:18 am

concrete wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am
On this, why is there no longer a download for the AMD cpu?
I assume you mean the AMD closed source binary video drivers drivers there. There haven't been any available in Mint since 17.3, or in any other Linux distro that's as recent. It's because AMD dropped support for those drivers and have been in the process of rewriting their whole Linux graphics stack. AMD Linux support hasn't been very good in the past, hopefully this is improving.

Return to “Software & Applications”