One click or two?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: One click or two?

Post by JerryF »

BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:55 pm
It's become second nature to you and anyone else who uses / prefers it. However, I ask what would happen if you sit a complete novice in front of a computer & see how intuitive "double-click" is then (without explaining it first) .. or someone who started out with & normally uses touch interfaces rather than mouse + KB. Not sure

Also, several people have mentioned one click to highlight, second to open. My question is, once a Desktop icon is highlighted, where's the menu to perform an action? I get that in many of these cases the desired default action is not "Open .." but that only makes sense in a filemanager window where you have action buttons to click on. It still doesn't make sense, at least to me, on the plain Desktop.

At least we all have a choice! :D
One click is intuitive. Yes. But intuitive doesn't mean natural.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:55 pm ... My question is, once a Desktop icon is highlighted, where's the menu to perform an action? I get that in many of these cases the desired default action is not "Open .." but that only makes sense in a filemanager window where you have action buttons to click on. It still doesn't make sense, at least to me, on the plain Desktop.
Yup, maybe it is the different use of menus that creates the necessity for 2 clicks. If you select a file and then go to the window menu (copy/move/rename etc) you need 2 clicks, but if you just access the fast menu (right click) you need only 1 click.

I use mate (caja menu) and I realised what I did once I converted to one click is add scripts for move to and copy to which were more useful than the standard caja one (which has limited options). Not giving up my mate DE so those scripts are useful in '1 click environment'.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/copy-to ... caja/15156
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

kenetics wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:44 pm One click for me. My attention span isn't long enough for 2.
Same here. It prevents RSI problems too. The less I have to click the better...
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Didn't Microsoft patent double click some years back? I won't use doulbe click as I don't want to pay MS royalties :wink:

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

russellz wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am Didn't Microsoft patent double click some years back? I won't use doulbe click as I don't want to pay MS royalties :wink:
Now the heat is on. Russellz that is by far the best and funniest reason to never wanna double click that I have read so far. Hilarious.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:34 am
russellz wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am Didn't Microsoft patent double click some years back? I won't use doulbe click as I don't want to pay MS royalties :wink:
Now the heat is on. Russellz that is by far the best and funniest reason to never wanna double click that I have read so far. Hilarious.
Agreed! :D:D:D

IIRC Apple may have tried to Patent the WIMP despite the fact that it predates bits of fruit.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 pm IIRC Apple may have tried to Patent the WIMP despite the fact that it predates bits of fruit.
Not sure about that. Xerox first demonstrated the WIMP in the mid 1970s and I think there was some deal involving Apple stock allowing them access to the technology. Many Apple engineers were ex Xerox.

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You are correct, it was not a patent infringement but there was litigation
Apple v. Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard
Main article: Apple Computer, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation

In 1988, after the introduction of Microsoft's Windows 2.0, Apple filed a lawsuit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard alleging that Microsoft Windows and HP's NewWave violated Apple's copyrights in the Macintosh user interface. Cited, among other things, was the use of overlapping and resizable windows in Windows 2.0. The case was one of the "look and feel" copyright lawsuits of the 1980s. After several years in court, Apple's claims against Microsoft were dismissed, primarily due to a license John Sculley had negotiated with Bill Gates for Windows 1.0. The decision was upheld on appeal in 1994, but legal disputes on this topic were still ongoing until 1997, when the two companies came to a wide-ranging agreement that included Microsoft buying non-voting Apple stocks.[159][160]
Xerox v. Apple Computer

Xerox Corp. v. Apple Computer was a 1989 case where Xerox sued Apple over its graphical user interface (GUI) copyrights.[161] A federal district court dismissed Xerox's claims without addressing whether Apple's GUI infringed Xerox's.[162][163]
from here
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
dougy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dougy »

Single clicking on Windows. I spend all day at my computer doing Autocad so saving clicks helps. I've got a Logitech G602 with 20 programmable buttons with shortcuts for Autocad, DisplayFusion (window management) and mDesktop (multiple desktops). Yep, single clicking all the way.

How do you set it in Mint?
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

dougy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 pm How do you set it in Mint?
In Cinnamon, open Nemo then select Preferences from the menu, then under the Behavior tab, select the single-click option. If you're not using Cinnamon (or if the menu bar is hidden in Nemo, it might be by default) let us know. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
dougy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dougy »

BG405 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am
dougy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 pm How do you set it in Mint?
In Cinnamon, open Nemo then select Preferences from the menu, then under the Behavior tab, select the single-click option. If you're not using Cinnamon (or if the menu bar is hidden in Nemo, it might be by default) let us know. :)
Ah, much better!
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

dougy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:00 pm Ah, much better!
It is, isn't it. Been using it since it became available in Windows (98 I think, maybe 95 "C") & right from when I made the switch to Linux a little over 2½ years ago. In KDE, single-click has always been the default. For some reason the Neon team have decided to switch the default to double-click .. a retrograde and unnecessary move IMHO. Not that it affects me as I don't use it (Neon) at present, but I do question their decision.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”