Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

(Solved ) timeshift vs Clonezilla

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello ,I haven't used timeshift as yet but have used clonezilla for more than 7 years. It has never failed me. Can anybody compare the two?
Thanks for any response.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 20.3 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MintBean

Re: Timeshift vs Clonezilla

Post by MintBean »

Clonezilla:
-Creates complete disc image
-Allows you to restore entire OS, including personal files, to a previous state.
-Imaging and restore is pretty slow, backup images are pretty large.
-No incremental backups.

Timeshift:
-By default, backs up only system files
-Allows you to restore the OS if something breaks by rolling back system files. Does not roll back your user files.
-Imaging and restore pretty fast.
-Allows incremental backups - so after an initial backup creating images is even faster, and takes up less disc space per additional backup.

If you want to create complete system images of *everything* for deep storage or creating a second copy of a disc, use Clonezilla.
If you want something to create quick system backups to guard against potential breakage when running update manager, us Timeshift.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

I do weekly drive clones - then all bases are covered. My cloning device is a StarTech and has no connection to any computer. Cloning of a 120gb SSD takes about 12 minutes. I do dual boot and suggest a full clone before the Windows side get any updates. Windows can really mess up your day.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

MintBean wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Thank you for the fantastic comparison.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Linux-Bill wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:02 am
I do weekly drive clones - then all bases are covered. My cloning device is a StarTech and has no connection to any computer. Cloning of a 120gb SSD takes about 12 minutes. I do dual boot and suggest a full clone before the Windows side get any updates. Windows can really mess up your day.
I never use Windows for any work and don't let any updates to run. I read at many times that Windows updates may Bork the grub and Linux on a dual boot.
Regards,
Deepak

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:01 pm
Thank you for the fantastic comparison.
You're welcome. Rolling back using Timeshift has saved me a couple of times already.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: (Solved ) timeshift vs Clonezilla

Post by fabien85 »

blanco12 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:06 am
I’m interested in using timeshift, but if the system becomes unbootable, how do you recover?
"Snapshots can be restored either from the running system or from a live CD." source: http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
see https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/ and/or http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/time ... ool-review for more explanations

Return to “Installation & Boot”