Poll: are forums password requirements too complicated?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Are forums password requirements too complicated?

Not at all.
76%
Kinda.
10%
For sure!
14%

Total votes: 50

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Poll: are forums password requirements too complicated?

Post by jimallyn »

It has been suggested that the forums password requirements are too complicated:
Password must be between 10 characters and 32 characters long, must contain letters in mixed case, must contain numbers and must contain symbols.
What do you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Poll: are forums password requirements too complicated?

Post by smurphos »

That describes all my passwords, 186 of them at the last count. KeepassXC thank-you.... : :mrgreen:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The requirements are nothing extraordinary today. Plus, any browser is able to store the forum password. So you do not even have to type it everytime when you log in.
Consistently, my vote was for "Not at all."
So far so good.
What concerns me more is that you cannot manage security questions based on polls.
Even if a majority of voters should consider the forum password requirements too complicated, it would be a rather unwise idea to lower those requirements.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Is this thread serious or sarcastic?
If serious: good night... :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:49 pm Is this thread serious or sarcastic?
Yes. It definitely is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Couldn't find "turtles" option on the poll, voted "For sure!" instead for the lulz.

(you could make the password min len 200 characters and I still wouldn't care)
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm voted "For sure!" instead for the lulz.
That's funny? I think I'm missing the joke again...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm voted "For sure!" instead for the lulz.
That's funny? I think I'm missing the joke again...
I thought the entire thread is a joke. In what world would you weaken account security because of such a poll? I must be missing something, too.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think you need to change your vote, then.
gm10 wrote:
In what world would you weaken account security because of such a poll?
I don't think they are. It was motivated by this posting: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=276799
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:59 pm In what world would you weaken account security because of such a poll? I must be missing something, too.
You are missing the fact that no one said that the poll would have any consequences for forum password policy. As far as I know, it's just gathering opinions out of curiosity.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:04 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:59 pm In what world would you weaken account security because of such a poll? I must be missing something, too.
You are missing the fact that no one said that the poll would have any consequences for forum password policy. As far as I know, it's just gathering opinions out of curiosity.
Ok, if you want a serious take on it then, the issue cannot possibly be the password complexity as such, just some users may be troubled having to come up with one that meets the requirements. So if you were to add a little javascript behind a button to generate random passwords that meet the requirements, that would take care of that problem quite elegantly.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:11 pm
Ok, if you want a serious take on it then, the issue cannot possibly be the password complexity as such, just some users may be troubled having to come up with one that meets the requirements. So if you were to add a little javascript behind a button to generate random passwords that meet the requirements, that would take care of that problem quite elegantly.
But, but, but then I can't use the same password here that I use everywhere else!!!!11
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:11 pm
But, but, but then I can't use the same password here that I use everywhere else!!!!11
Get a better default password. I think this one passes all requirements and is really easy to remember:
8=======lD
(now I'll get banned, see you guys, was fun :lol: )
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

spaces count as both a charachter and a symbol.
Password could be something as simple as:
0ld Hickory
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

with the requirement, of 10 characters for the Minimum length,,
- that's longer than what us usually required & maybe a bit Too Long.
:)
but, not as bad as those Federal Government Requirements .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Some people sre just flat lazy.

L
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I have a default password for places where I don't care if it gets found or not. Password memory in FF makes other sites easy to log in. FWIW my BANK passwords are not stored ANYWHERE except in my brain. A long password is way more secure than a short one. A%^r3 is way less secure than IDon'tGiveAStuffWhatYourPasswordIs and I know what is easier to remember!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I do not have a problem or issue with the password requirement here. At the very most I only have to enter it three times - when I change it and enter the confirmation, and if I choose to enter it by hand the next time I log in. KeePassXC and my browser does the rest of the work for me.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:59 pmI thought the entire thread is a joke. In what world would you weaken account security because of such a poll? I must be missing something, too.
No, this thread is not in any way, shape, or form a joke. In another thread, a forums member was complaining that the password requirements were too complicated. When several people said that they didn't think it was too complicated, he said, "Do a survey : you will see 95 % of the forum complaining !" So, I started this poll. Darn, I should have got him to bet money on it!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ah, I see. Frankly I had no idea what the password requirements even were before this was brought up. When I need a new password, I just have my password manager generate one and then I forget about it. I see no need for simple passwords, ever.

Return to “Open Chat”