Nvidia video tearing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moosetek13

Re: Nvidia video tearing

Post by Moosetek13 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:24 am
Moosetek13 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:17 am I did that with the same results.
Did you check that nVidia Settings was installed? If so, is it operational? If it's not operational, did you reboot? If you didn't reboot, do so, check nVidia Settings again then post back.
The Nvidia icon is not in the system tray like it was before. Is there another place I can find it?
Or, is there a way I can install it separately?

Yes, I did reboot.
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

I installed the Nvidia Settings from Software Manager.
It does not start with bootup, and it has no option for switching between Intel and Nvidia like it did before.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moosetek13 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:38 am I installed the Nvidia Settings from Software Manager.
It does not start with bootup, and it has no option for switching between Intel and Nvidia like it did before.
With all due respect, I can't help you. You insist on doing things that I haven't asked for. I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to restart this a third time.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

You asked if I made sure the Nvidia Settings was installed, so I did that.
What do you want from me?

Sorry, but I'm trying.
I went through the terminal when Driver Manager didn't seem to be working. Then you said to purge and reinstall the drivers through the terminal, which I did.
The nVidia Settings did not come up, even after a reboot, so I installed it because you said to make sure they were installed. What was I supposed to do with those instructions?
???

I'm frustrated as well, and it's getting late. I'll come back tomorrow and see if you are willing to work with me a little more.
Perhaps I can follow your directions better with a fresh start.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moosetek13 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:50 am I'm frustrated as well, and it's getting late. I'll come back tomorrow and see if you are willing to work with me a little more.
Perhaps I can follow your directions better with a fresh start.
Ok. I asked you to check if it was there, not install if it wasn't there. Let's continue.

I've done some additional research and it appears that there are long-standing issues with your machine (GL753VE) and its support for nVidia. You're going to either have to get BumbleBee running or not use the nVidia GPU at all.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029169 ... 50#1042950
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... issues/904
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 0/#5203910

I was happy to continue assisting you but with your system being Optimus-based, it's way out of my pay grade. If nobody else can assist you, I recommend a trip to the nVidia forums here: https://forums.geforce.com/

I've done all I can, sorry. My BumbleBee/Optimus skills are zero.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't know what the issue is now, your dkms status says nvidia is installed, but that's not a switcher between intel/nvidia
so what's the current issue? nvidia-settings can be run in Terminal or search the MENU for nvidia
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

catweazel, I thank you for all the trouble you went through.

For now I have restored a previous snapshot of before I started trying to update the nVidia driver from 390.48, and everything is back to normal.
I have the nVidia Settings back to normal as well.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try this command in Terminal and test for screentear (the command is not permanent)

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

trytip wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 pm try this command in Terminal and test for screentear (the command is not permanent)

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t|tr '\n' ' '|sed -e 's/.*:: \(.*\)/\1\n/g' -e 's/}/, ForceCompositionPipeline = On}/g')" > /dev/null
That seems to have helped.
In Netflix, both with the video tearing and the choppy audio. Maybe they were related.

Is there a way to make it permanent?

Although when I click your link I can see the tear still. To a great degree.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i didn't think it would work in cinnamon for some reason i don't have any tearing with nvidia-340 in cinnamon19 except when playing some games that have too many strobing lights
yes you can add the script to the startup: i'm not in cinnamon now hope you know how to add it to starup?

create a blank text file in your HOME and name it notear.sh copy the command save. then rightclick on it, properties and make it executable. go to cinnamon settings startup and add the script

i'll post more detailed for cinnamon if you are not able to add
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

Actually, I spoke too soon. The tearing is still there. Sorry.

Maybe I should try to install the 340 drivers?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i couldn't tell you if your card can go with nvidia-340 i mean theoretically it can but you'll need to figure out how to manually install it since the driver manager will probably not offer you the nvidia-340 but i may be wrong. do you have that option?

i don't know why i have screentear. i never had it in any distro or desktop, only in cinnamon19 but even that only when i play games that have too many blinking lights and for some reason the command removes it.

i don't even use the command for notear. i'm sure there has to be a remedy but i don't have the hardware to test. i can suggest you install a mainline kernel, but you really need to have a Timeshift snapshot to go back to in case things go bad. i use the last kernel 4.17.17 from ukuu found out that kernel 4.18 destroys snapd, maybe they fixed it but haven't tried the latest.

maybe your driver update didn't work because you were using kernel 4.15.

on the other hand if you decide to install XFCE the tear should be gone in any driver and if not the command will surely remove it. it's what i use now. i installed XFCE on top of Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moosetek13 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm catweazel, I thank you for all the trouble you went through.

For now I have restored a previous snapshot of before I started trying to update the nVidia driver from 390.48, and everything is back to normal.
I have the nVidia Settings back to normal as well.
While I was still looking around I came across this: https://www.pcsuggest.com/nvidia-optimus-ubuntu/

I'm pleased you're back to normal at least. If you can confirm that the nVidia driver is loaded with inxi -G then I can help you with the tearing, provided that the nVidia Settings application is working.
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 591b
           Card-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48
And yes, the nVidia Settings is also back to normal.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

and dkms status ?
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

nvidia, 390.48, 4.15.0-20-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia, 390.48, 4.15.0-30-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia, 390.48, 4.15.0-32-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia, 390.48, 4.15.0-33-generic, x86_64: installed
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Would you post of the output of this command: dpkg -l |grep -i nvidia
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

ii  libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
ii  libnvidia-common-390                       390.48-0ubuntu3                     all          Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
ii  libnvidia-compute-390:amd64                390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-compute-390:i386                 390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-decode-390:amd64                 390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
ii  libnvidia-decode-390:i386                  390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
ii  libnvidia-encode-390:amd64                 390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
ii  libnvidia-encode-390:i386                  390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
ii  libnvidia-fbc1-390:amd64                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
ii  libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386                    390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
ii  libnvidia-gl-390:amd64                     390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
ii  libnvidia-gl-390:i386                      390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
ii  libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
ii  libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386                    390.48-0ubuntu3                     i386         NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
ii  nvidia-compute-utils-390                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
ii  nvidia-dkms-390                            390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
ii  nvidia-driver-390                          390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA driver metapackage
ii  nvidia-kernel-common-390                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
ii  nvidia-kernel-source-390                   390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA kernel source package
ii  nvidia-prime                               0.8.8                               all          Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-prime-applet                        1.0.7                               all          An applet for NVIDIA Prime
ii  nvidia-settings                            390.42-0ubuntu1                     amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-utils-390                           390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390              390.48-0ubuntu3                     amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
If I may ask...
What is all that telling you?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

For laptops with Nvidia’s Optimus technology, to prevent tearing on the laptop’s screen when the Nvidia GPU is enabled, the kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1 needs to be used. Use this command to open the grub file:
xed admin:///etc/default/grub

Change this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

To this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvidia-drm.modeset=1"

Then update grub and reboot: sudo update-grub; reboot

Running glxgears in the Terminal should show the framerate is the same as the monitor's refresh rate.
Moosetek13

Post by Moosetek13 »

Roblm...

And it was really that simple?
Thank you so much!

It may be too early to tell, but it seems that the video tearing is gone.

I'm not gaming, just watching videos. But in Netflix and VLC I don't notice it any more.
Netflix was worse, and my connection where I'm at is none too good so I don't have a good data rate. But I'll let you know in the days to come if it really has fixed the problem.

Thank you.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”