Rhythmbox Radio Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Rhythmbox Radio Problem

Post by JoHubb »

I run Mate 18.3 kernel 4.15.0-33 in W64.

Some radio programmes - mostly US music or college channels - run normally.
Until about 3 weeks ago I could also get UK radio stations e.g. BBC. Now I cannot - I just get a message about missing plug-ins.

I'd be grateful for advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Rhythmbox Radio Problem

Post by JoHubb »

Nobody?
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

No one is that crazy to use Rhytmbox (no offense, mate :) ). I use Audacious - never had a single problem with a radio. ;)
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Sorry for being crazy, and me the only one :(

Will give Audashuss a try. :wink:
Ehlok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ehlok »

No, you're not the only one ;)

I use Rhythmbox to listen to radio stations and everything is working fine. Not sure why you're getting a message about missing plug-ins. Maybe those radio stations made some changes/updates in their servers?...

About BBC Radio 1, try adding the following link: http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbc ... adio1_mf_p.
MacBook5,1 (Late 2008/Aluminum); Linux Mint 20.3 "Una" MATE 64-Bit
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI JoHubb,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There is nothing wrong with using Rhythmbox, but there are many excellent music applications and streaming applications that can be used in Linux Mint.

Rhythmbox doesn't see minidlna? - Page 2 - Instructions for installing their PPA's with various plugins, etc...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=253253&hilit=rythmbox&start=20

For Linux Mint 19 the current version of Rhythmbox and its many plugins are probably in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", if not you can try installing the PPA's or going to the PPA websites to download the Linux deb files for Bionic, or Xenial, or even Trusty (in this order) to install them that way (save and double-click to install). Linux Mint 18.x and 17.x users can install the PPA's and use those.

These are the Rhythmbox related PPA's with Linux deb files - like with most PPA's, click "view package details" midway down on right, on next screen click the package for your version of Linux Mint or the closest one to it (LM19.x=Bionic, LM18.x=Xenial, LM17.x=Trusty), save the deb file(s) and double-click to install those.

Rhythmbox : fossfreedom (nothing for Linux Mint 19 based on Ubuntu 18.xx)
https://launchpad.net/~fossfreedom/+arc ... /rhythmbox

Rhythmbox third-party plugins : fossfreedom (there are Linux Mint 19 based on Ubuntu Bionic updates in this)
https://launchpad.net/~fossfreedom/+arc ... ox-plugins

+1 for using Audacious a lightweight and excellent music application that can play streaming radio as well. There is a PPA for this which is the only way to get their QT version. Audacious has 3 desktop styles to choose from "GTK" (nice regular), WinAmp (skinnable), and a QT version where all the windows are docked in one window instead of multiple floating windows.

Audacious 3.9 Released With Qt User Interface Enhancements, More [PPA] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2017/08/audaciou ... -user.html

And in some cases, some streaming radio and TV stations and websites cannot be accessed if you are not in that country without connecting to a VPN server in that country. This is called "geo-blocking" and can usually be circumvented by using a VPN connection in that country.

"StreamTuner2" is an excellent streaming application with thousands of stations that can be played through any music application you have installed.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

I've just noticed I didn't say thanks! Apologies.

Return to “Software & Applications”