Xfce running slow

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Xfce running slow

Post by Moem »

monere wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:35 am I'd like to ask something if you know... right now my computer is partitioned like this: the first 3 partitions are NTFS (so they can run Windows), and the next 3-4 partitions are put under an EXTENDED partition that runs Linux. If I use Gparted to format the Windows partition - therefore turning that NTFS partition to a Ext4 one - does this mess the partitions of my hard disk up and renders my current Linux installation unusable??
Probably not.
monere wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:35 am In other words, I'm thinking of formatting the Windows partition from NTFS to Ext4, and then move this newly formatted partition to the end of the HOME partition of Linux, but I'm not sure if this is possible since the Windows partition is sda2 while the Linux partition is sda7. So, there's 4 other partitions between these 2 partitions that I wanna merge, and I'm not sure if this is possible without messing up my entire system and not be able to even log into Linux anymore after I do this. Can you please tell me if this is possible?
Probably. It's a bit of a risky operation for a newcomer, and I wouldn't bet the farm on it going right at this time; that said, this should in principle be possible.
I would
  • make very sure I have a backup of the entire home partition, since it would need to be moved
  • do the whole operation from a live medium, not the installed version of Mint. You can't make changes to a partition that's being used.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Moem wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 pm Probably. It's a bit of a risky operation for a newcomer, and I wouldn't bet the farm on it going right at this time; that said, this should in principle be possible.
I would
  • make very sure I have a backup of the entire home partition, since it would need to be moved
  • do the whole operation from a live medium, not the installed version of Mint. You can't make changes to a partition that's being used.
Yeah, I was intending to do it from a live medium. That's the least I could get right after so many Linux installations :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -r opera-stable
And to remove the apt sources file added by Opera:

sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
or possibly When you install via the downloaded .deb binaries/installer and not the opera repository for Opera, then it was installed with dpkg, and not apt-get.

Try using sudo dpkg --remove opera or sudo dpkg -r opera to remove it.

Or equally use: sudo dpkg -r opera
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:10 pm

sudo dpkg -r opera-stable
And to remove the apt sources file added by Opera:

sudo rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
or possibly When you install via the downloaded .deb binaries/installer and not the opera repository for Opera, then it was installed with dpkg, and not apt-get.

Try using sudo dpkg --remove opera or sudo dpkg -r opera to remove it.

Or equally use: sudo dpkg -r opera
He! This actually worked :) .... I only used the first 2 commands (the ones you enclosed in code) and I don't see opera in there anymore. Cool :D

Thanks dude! :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

you may need to wait for someone more knowledgeable then myself but to the best of my knowledge, i do not believe that windows ntfs is in any way compatable with ext4 (" I'm thinking of formatting the Windows partition from NTFS to Ext4")
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:25 pm you may need to wait for someone more knowledgeable then myself but to the best of my knowledge, i do not believe that windows ntfs is in any way compatable with ext4 (" I'm thinking of formatting the Windows partition from NTFS to Ext4")
You mean to tell me that I am stuck forever with 500 GB of my 1 TB HDD as NTFS partitions??? Nah, I refuse to believe that. If that is true, however.... crap! :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if your intention is to just re-aquire the ntfs and not retain anything in it pertaining to windows OS, your probably ok to format it for use with linux via ext4,...i may have misunderstood your intention with it.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:34 pm if your intention is to just re-aquire the ntfs and not retain anything in it pertaining to windows OS, your probably ok to format it for use with linux via ext4,...i may have misunderstood your intention with it.
Yep, that's what I was thinking about: to wipe out the entire partition so that I can put Linux on it. I think that's possible :)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

monere wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:34 pm if your intention is to just re-aquire the ntfs and not retain anything in it pertaining to windows OS, your probably ok to format it for use with linux via ext4,...i may have misunderstood your intention with it.
Yep, that's what I was thinking about: to wipe out the entire partition so that I can put Linux on it. I think that's possible :)
It's only when you move home you need to be careful.Are you planning to?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm
monere wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 pm
It's only when you move home you need to be careful.Are you planning to?
Yes. Right now, my partitions are...

- sda1: bootable (NTFS), mounted at Windows
- sda2: windows (NTFS), not mounted (at least that's what it says, but it's Windows on this partition, and this is the one I want to wipe out);
- sda3: 530 GB (NTFS), not mounted (this is my D:/ drive under WIndows and it's the only partition I need NOT touch, cause it contains all the stuff I need);
- sda4: EXTENDED partition (contains ALL Linux Mint 19 partitions);

Now, under this extended partition there are 4 other partitions, as follows...

- sda: unallocated space (1 MB)... I have no idea why this partition exists, nor how to get rid of that 1 MB cause Gparted wouldn't let me allocate it to any partition;
- sda5: swap partition (10 GB)
- sda6: root (52 GB)... ext4 partition
- sda7: home (272 GB)... ext4 partition

Now, I am not sure yet that I will re-install Linux, but if I do, I will DEFINITELY do a clean install (format the hell out of everything and then install by the manual, because I never deal with compromises and temporary solutions. For me, either everything works as intended or it doesn't work at all. Which means that, YES, I intend to mess with the HOME partition, as well)

I don't think it's dangerous though, because right now as I type this I am also copying all of the stuff I want to the 530 GB partition which - like I said - contains all of my critical stuff, so I never intend to touch that partition until I get the hold of an external HDD so I can transfer its contents there. But the thing that bothers me is that this critical partition is exactly in the freaking middle of the HDD, and it irks me LOL
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

For the love of all that's small and fuzzy, do make a backup of your critical stuff on an external medium of some kind! :!:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Moem wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:04 pm For the love of all that's small and fuzzy, do make a backup of your critical stuff on an external medium of some kind! :!:
I can't, cause I'm poor (I'm not joking). If I had money I would do it, but since I don't have it... gotta play with the fire :D
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Not even a tenner to buy a USB stick? Or a friend you can borrow one or the other from? That's rough. In that case I would leave well enough alone for now. But I'm afraid this advice will fall on dear ears... :roll:

monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Moem wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm Not even a tenner to buy a USB stick? Or a friend you can borrow one or the other from? That's rough. In that case I would leave well enough alone for now. But I'm afraid this advice will fall on dear ears... :roll:
Yeah, all of my friends have left the country many years ago, I'm the loser of the pack if you will: no friends, no money, no ANYTHING. At least I've got Linux to keep me occupied LOL

And yes, I'm not gonna listen to your advice in this case because... um.... because imperfection irks me, and I gotta solve this Linux problem somehow, especially since, like I've said, there's only Twilight Zone level stuff going on with my computer. The Opera issue has been solved thanks to that nice dude, but now my panel won't stay displayed, no matter which option I choose for it (never, intelligently, always). Funny stuff working on my computer, I'm telling you. If you're not keeping a good sense of humor you smash the screen to the first wall you see :D
Last edited by Moem on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Crude word removed. This is a family friendly forum.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

HA I have figured out why the panel kept disappearing... it's because of a setting called "Opacity > Leave" that I've set from 100 to 0 and it was making the panel transparent all the time, except for when I was hovering my mouse over it. Dang!

Return to “Software & Applications”