<SOLVED> (sort of) Nvidia two monitor setup.

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laoe1

<SOLVED> (sort of) Nvidia two monitor setup.

Post by laoe1 »

Installed Nvidia drivers, seems to work ok.
Problem is that the "NVIDIA X Server Setting" sets my left monitor as "primary", but i need the right one.
Setting the right monitor as "primary" works ok, but after a reboot it's back to left.
The "Save to X Configuration File" does not work, and "sudo nvidia-xconfig" answers "command not found"
Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Nvidia two monitor setup

Post by trytip »

run sudo nvidia-settings put your primary and then Save to X Configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf i forget how LMDE handles xorg if it need to be saved somewhere else but it won't hurt anything if it doesn't work
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

There is a nvidia-xconfig package in the repositories which provides the nvidia-xconfig program.
I have this package installed on my PC (single screen setup) and it created a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and a driver upgrade and everything works fine.
The man page lists dozens of options.

However, the description says:-
This tool is deprecated. The NVIDIA drivers now automatically integrate with
the Xorg Xserver configuration. Creating an xorg.conf is no longer needed for
normal setups.

The nvidia-xconfig program helps with manipulation of X configuration
files, primarily for systems that use the non-free drivers provided by
NVIDIA. It automatically changes the configuration to use the NVIDIA
driver and can add additional options given on the command line.
laoe1

Post by laoe1 »

trytip wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 am run sudo nvidia-settings put your primary and then Save to X Configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
That's what I did. Sorry I was less than clear by stating that I also used sudo. My bad, thanks anyway.
axisofevil wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am There is a nvidia-xconfig package in the repositories which provides the nvidia-xconfig program.
Really thought I had it there, but no luck. Thanks the same.

Have (sort of) solved it.
When drivers will not cooperate, fix the hardware. Switched around the monitor cables. Now on the right screen is primary. Should have thought of that before!
But really the driver should have worked.....
jaszhix

Re: <SOLVED> (sort of) Nvidia two monitor setup.

Post by jaszhix »

This can happen any time csd-xrandr is running - it will reconfigure your monitors regardless if xorg.conf is configured. You can disable it in Startup Applications, assuming you're on Cinnamon. There's also an issue on Github: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/6515
laoe1

Re: <SOLVED> (sort of) Nvidia two monitor setup.

Post by laoe1 »

Thanks, interesting read. Yes. i'm on Cinnamon, and it works ok so far after I switched the cables. Tried to disable xrander in Startup Applications just to test but that freaked tings out a bit. One cursor on each screen, largest screen with half a desktop. Back to normal now.

Return to “Hardware Support”