How to play .mkv file?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

How to play .mkv file?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
I have tried playing .mkv file with vlc media player but I am nt successful I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon edition. I want to play it preferably without converting to any other format.

The additional vlc packages I could install are

Code: Select all

vlc                        vlc-plugin-qt
vlc-bin                    vlc-plugin-samba
vlc-data                   vlc-plugin-skins2
vlc-l10n                   vlc-plugin-svg
vlc-nox                    vlc-plugin-video-output
vlc-plugin-access-extra    vlc-plugin-video-splitter
vlc-plugin-base            vlc-plugin-visualization
vlc-plugin-fluidsynth      vlc-plugin-vlsub
vlc-plugin-jack            vlc-plugin-zvbi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to play .mkv file?

Post by Schultz »

Does it play in Mint's "generic" video player?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Schultz wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 pm Does it play in Mint's "generic" video player?
No it doesn't.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MKV (Matroska) is just a container format and certainly supported ootb here on Mint 19 Cinnamon; the issue is likely that you have no support for the specific video and/or audio codec contained within. Did you install proprietary codecs when you installed Mint 19? If not, I believe you should have a menu entry somewhere to do so now, or be able to do so from "mintwelcome".

mkvinfo foo.mkv | grep "Codec ID"
will show you what codecs are in fact used.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Downloaded some mkv sample videos from here: https://www.sample-videos.com/

They all played fine in both Xplayer and VLC (v. 3.0.3).

I did not need the configurations mentioned in the following URL but there may be some value here: https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/ ... n-vlc.html
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Oh, wow. Kyphi edited his post above and there's now two notifications of his one post in my Notifications list. If that's standard I must have been annoying people with my habit of hitting "Submit" as soon as I'm done typing and then taking some twenty-odd edits on average to filter out all the typo's, grammo's and other nonsense I just typed. I thought those edits were "private" ...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

rene wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm Oh, wow. Kyphi edited his post above and there's now two notifications of his one post in my Notifications list. If that's standard I must have been annoying people with my habit of hitting "Submit" as soon as I'm done typing and then taking some twenty-odd edits on average to filter out all the typo's, grammo's and other nonsense I just typed. I thought those edits were "private" ...
Also quite guilty of that... :oops:

I guess we should take a few more minutes before hitting Submit.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Let try and confirm. I will edit this message after posting so as to have the last word of this very sentence be "foo" rather than "foo". We can then see if if I appear in your Notifications list twice for this one message -- so please wait with a reply until you see the "bar" having become "foo" :)
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

@ MrEen and @ rene - Relax, this website seems to have developed a few glitches such as difficulties with logging in, not remembering my password, problems with editing and posting duplicates, etc.

My edit was twofold: one was to correct a typo and the second to delete a duplicate I had not requested.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Thanks much. Phew :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mentioned "mkv" is just a Matroska container. It's very versatile and can contain more codecs/formats than others I know of, but usually it'll be x264 or x265 video.

Are you talking about just ONE .mkv or any of them? If it's just the one, open it with mediainfo (mediainfo-gui if you don't have it installed) and post the results from the program's text mode.

BTW, VLC, like smplayer, comes with its own codec library. Installing mint-meta-codecs, which should be done anyway, has no effect on programs that come with their own codecs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:24 am As mentioned "mkv" is just a Matroska container. It's very versatile and can contain more codecs/formats than others I know of, but usually it'll be x264 or x265 video.

Are you talking about just ONE .mkv or any of them? If it's just the one, open it with mediainfo (mediainfo-gui if you don't have it installed) and post the results from the program's text mode.

BTW, VLC, like smplayer, comes with its own codec library. Installing mint-meta-codecs, which should be done anyway, has no effect on programs that come with their own codecs.
I tried multiple .vlc files and am not able to run any of them. I tried installing mint-meta-codecs but they are already installed.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

rene wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 pm MKV (Matroska) is just a container format and certainly supported ootb here on Mint 19 Cinnamon; the issue is likely that you have no support for the specific video and/or audio codec contained within. Did you install proprietary codecs when you installed Mint 19? If not, I believe you should have a menu entry somewhere to do so now, or be able to do so from "mintwelcome".

mkvinfo foo.mkv | grep "Codec ID"
will show you what codecs are in fact used.

mkvinfo Shane.1953.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv | grep "Codec ID"
Does not give any output. I am not sure if I have installed the proprietary codecs as I have upgraded from 18.3 hence dont remember if I did quite some time ago.
I didnt get anything about codecs in Mintwelcome screen
Regards,
Deepak

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Did you test the sample videos on the site linked above? You might just have corrupt files. Maybe also try from a live USB. If the codec is x264, as the filename suggests, there should be no problem in playing it.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:27 pm Did you test the sample videos on the site linked above? You might just have corrupt files. Maybe also try from a live USB. If the codec is x264, as the filename suggests, there should be no problem in playing it.
You are Right. I downloaded a sample file and it did run. Looks like I have 2 corrupt .mkv files. UNfortunately both are rather large and were downloaded from internet. I feel I have to redownload. I dont think there is any checksum for the downloaded .mkvs just like Mint iso. The file name has blueray as a string. Does it have anything to do with the issue?
Regards,
Deepak

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Does not give any output.
Given that I have many MKVs yet not a single one that doesn't, that likely means it's corrupted indeed. I see it's 5,87G; that is also rather large for 720p x264...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 pm You are Right. I downloaded a sample file and it did run. Looks like I have 2 corrupt .mkv files. UNfortunately both are rather large and were downloaded from internet. I feel I have to redownload. I dont think there is any checksum for the downloaded .mkvs just like Mint iso. The file name has blueray as a string. Does it have anything to do with the issue?
Well, before you toss the files, see what file Shane.1953.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv says, it might just be badly named files (they might be in another format and/or container), maybe also just try to launch them from a terminal like vlc Shane.1953.720p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv and check the error message.
rene wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:32 pm Given that I have many MKVs yet not a single one that doesn't, that likely means it's corrupted indeed. I see it's 5,87G; that is also rather large for 720p x264...
That's what I was thinking, that would be the size of 1080p at x264 unless some crazy bitrate was chosen.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

rene wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:32 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Does not give any output.
Given that I have many MKVs yet not a single one that doesn't, that likely means it's corrupted indeed. I see it's 5,87G; that is also rather large for 720p x264...
That file size is not a red flag at all, it's actually common, but I agree the file(s) are probably corrupted. Bittorrents actually do have a checksum (it's part of the protocol AFAIK) but it's not nearly as foolproof as md5sum or sha256.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

The error when I try running the file is could not determine the type stream I have another file-blueray.mp4 file which has name blueray in the file name. It doesnt run and gives the same error too' I suspect that it is something to do with blueray which is preventing the files to be played
Regards,
Deepak

gm10

Post by gm10 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm The error when I try running the file is could not determine the type stream I have another file-blueray.mp4 file which has name blueray in the file name. It doesnt run and gives the same error too' I suspect that it is something to do with blueray which is preventing the files to be played
That means that it could not find the required codec to play the file. Try this:

apt install --reinstall gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly

Return to “Sound”