Multi-monitor high-dpi scaling issues

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Isaac_4

Multi-monitor high-dpi scaling issues

Post by Isaac_4 »

I have a 4k monitor in parallel with a 1080p monitor hooked up to my system. I noticed that Cinnamon "assumes" what the best scaling would be if it's set to auto. In reality, it doesn't do anything (at least for me) and I need to set it to "double" to make things look big enough to see on my 4k screen.

Unfortunately... this leads to visual elements hogging too much space on the 1080p screen. I'm not sure if Linux Mint is new to 4k scaling, because I notice that the window titlebars do not change size automatically when shifting from one window to another. (Similar to how Windows 10 automatically scales things to a comfortable size when crossing the "screen border".)

Is there a way to set a custom scaling on a per-display basis? Is this being worked on in a future Linux Mint Cinnamon release or am I missing something? Right now the cross over is quite rocky and I prefer the Windows scaling system better. (Blasphemy, I know. lol)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Multi-monitor high-dpi scaling issues

Post by JosephM »

Per monitor scaling currently isn't possible. It's a limitation of X11. It's one of the supposed advantages of moving to Wayland but that also brings other issues.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Isaac_4

Post by Isaac_4 »

JosephM wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 am Per monitor scaling currently isn't possible. It's a limitation of X11. It's one of the supposed advantages of moving to Wayland but that also brings other issues.
May I ask what the "Auto" scaling option is for? I have a 4k screen and setting it to "Normal" or "Auto" seem to be the same. Nothing appears to be "automatic", nothing gets scaled. Everything remains tiny... :\
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Isaac_4 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:10 pm
JosephM wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 am Per monitor scaling currently isn't possible. It's a limitation of X11. It's one of the supposed advantages of moving to Wayland but that also brings other issues.
May I ask what the "Auto" scaling option is for? I have a 4k screen and setting it to "Normal" or "Auto" seem to be the same. Nothing appears to be "automatic", nothing gets scaled. Everything remains tiny... :\
Auto is supposed to work based on the best setting for screen size vs. resolution. On my 15" 3840x2160 screen it automatically scales to 2x. I don't remember the exact rules it uses but it's fairly basic due to the amount of info it's sometimes limited to getting from the monitor.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Isaac_4

Post by Isaac_4 »

That's a shame JospehM, because it doesn't do that for me at all. I have it set at 3840x2160 and setting it to "Auto" is the exact same as "Normal"... :\

I hope this is something that the development team can work on a bit, because it's a bit bothersome to have spotty Hi-dpi support.

What's worse is the fact that the upper half of the monitor works right when right-clicking on the desktop, but when the mouse is right-clicking in the bottom half, the menu appears with an offset away from the cursor. The distance gets worse as the mouse moves closer to the bottom of the screen.

(By the way, I have a Dell P2415Q monitor. It should behave like yours, but it isn't... :\)

Return to “Cinnamon”