Linux Code of Conduct and Linus Torvalds

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Linus Torvalds takes break to work on his personality flaws?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Linus is recognising that he has personality flaws that is hurting others and effecting developers, so he mentions in the article below...guess he does not want to be another Steve Jobs...I think we can all give him a few kudos on this...DAMIEN

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-tor ... rom-linux/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Linus Torvalds takes break to work on his personality flaws?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kudos to the man for speaking out, and going for professional help.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I saw this in my news feed last night and then read the original passing by Linus. I know from an interview he gave a few years ago that he's the archetypal antisocial personality type of technologist, and I can only imagine any therapy he gets is going to be limited by his own estimation of how far he thinks he is capable of going. That, of course, is really a function of what he's willing to accept is within his power to change.

He's pushed at least one person to the brink of suicide; one can only hope he bears that in mind while processing whatever his therapist helps him to relearn behaviorally.

Frankly, I only expect this to do relatively trivial things for him.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 amHe's pushed at least one person to the brink of suicide
Never heard that one. Got any linkies?

Personally I think he's overly demonised. Ever run a software project? I have and if you're not strong it will go to hell. I can't begin to imagine how tough it is running the world's largest software project.

I remember seeing one big hooh-hah (Sarah somebody?) complaining about Linus and it making big news. It turns out all he did was tell someone (on a mailing list) something to the effect that 'he was going to send Greg (Kroah-Hartman) round to 'squish' them for something they did wrong. It was obvious to anyone with the tiniest fraction of common sense that this was nothing more than a light-hearted joke (Greg's a bit of a giant) and the guy it was directed at didn't have a problem with it. But Sarah (whatever her name was) jumped in and started throwing the F-word at Linus over it.

These idiots will eventually grind him down. Atlas will shrug and Linux will suffer for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... igned_the/
Meritocracy or communism. Pick a side, there's a war coming.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 am These idiots will eventually grind him down. Atlas will shrug and Linux will suffer for it.
I don't see how anyone at the top can deal with the instant-victim mentality of today. Hopefully while he's away he'll find his Dagney Taggart.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Code of Conduct and Linus Torvalds

Post by MurphCID »

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... lict_with/

I just heard about this on DIstro Tube. For personal reasons this scares the living daylights out of me, since it is so easily abused. What meltdown by LInus are they speaking about? I must have missed this. Mods please feel free to nuke this thread if it gets out of hand, which is NOT my intention. With the departure of Linus, what does that mean for the future of Linux?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I just hope this doesn't mean he will accept crappy work from now on.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Code of Conduct and Linus Torvalds

Post by Schultz »

Well, I guess their tentacles are now wrapped around Linux. How can this happen? I wonder if Mr. Torvalds is being blackmailed as has been suggested by some.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Something bad is going on, I fear. See this and the link within this link:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=277870
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I can't see how Linux will be ultimately affected one way or another, it will go on. Linus or anyone for that matter isn't immortal and Linux is to big to fail. Just my thoughts.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm With the departure of Linus, what does that mean for the future of Linux?
It's not the first break he's taken and he clearly said he's intending to come back to kernel development.

Also whatever you may think of the particular incident triggering it this time, I think that overall the result is a good one. Gratuitous personal attacks sour a work (or any) relationship unnecessarily, there's nothing wrong with wanting to eliminate that. Torvalds is infamous for his bad behaviour in that respect - if you've seen some of the tantrums he's thrown at commits he didn't like I'm sure there were some people going "well FU, too, I'll rather take my talents to the highest bidder than get abused by you for contributing my time for free". You don't have to run with the PC crowd to understand that, hopefully.

If you cannot be bothered to deal with people properly, then stay out of leadership positions. Linux has outgrown Linus Torvalds, so he'll have to get with the program, and going by his rather impressive message I dare say he understands that, too.

So back to your actual question: I believe it will mean good things for the future of Linux. You can reject bad commits/ideas without being an ass about it, and that's really all this was about.

PS: I think the more pertinent link is this instead of the CoC change: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/16/167
I won't read a reddit thread with 1.1k replies (or reddit at all usually).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm What meltdown by LInus are they speaking about?
All of them.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Threads merged. We don't need two about what is essentially the same topic. And please don't spread FUD.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 am Frankly, I only expect this to do relatively trivial things for him.
We'll see. In the meantime, he's spreading the message that it should be possible to work hard, play hard, get results, and yet treat others fairly and decently. I can't see that as a bad thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

It could stay business as usual or it could become a witch-hunt... by witches ironically enough.... time will tell.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm What meltdown by LInus are they speaking about?
All of them.
He DOES tend to be explosive in general... bin a while since he's cursed at nVidia mind you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:01 am Mod note:
Threads merged. We don't need two about what is essentially the same topic. And please don't spread FUD.
Never my intention, so if it seemed that way, I apologize.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 am
Moem wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:01 am Mod note:
Never my intention, so if it seemed that way, I apologize.
I doubt the comment was about what you wrote. All you need do is read a few posts up.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 am
Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 am Frankly, I only expect this to do relatively trivial things for him.
We'll see. In the meantime, he's spreading the message that it should be possible to work hard, play hard, get results, and yet treat others fairly and decently. I can't see that as a bad thing.
I completely agree so long as the goal posts don't get moved randomly, the rules are enforced the same across the board for everyone, and not used to bash, bludgeon, and destroy those deemed not "Woke" enough. SJW's scare the bejeezus out of me since you are guilty until you can somehow prove yourself innocent (an impossible task to prove a negative). They are like seagulls, they come in make a horrible noise, poop all over everything, and then fly off leaving you with the mess ( sort of like some of my relatives and co-workers).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 am (an impossible task to prove a negative)
I often come across that claim, made mostly by those who are ignorant of logic. It's called folk logic or, as I call it, old wives' logic.

I do not have six toes.
I do not have two heads.
-1 - -1 = 0

Return to “Chat about Linux”