[SOLVED]multi boot mint 19

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]multi boot mint 19

Post by BobMacall »

I have a dual boot systems: Mint 16 & Mint 17. I want to install Mint 19 over Mint 16 and leave Mint 17 untouched.
The installer doesn't seem to ask where to install. I selected "something else" as the option but next screen doesn't let you
pick install point. What do I need to do to install correctly. I don't want to wipe out Mint 17, just replace Mint 16 with Mint 19.

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oldal

Re: multi boot mint 19

Post by oldal »

If your Mint16 and Mint 17 are in separate partitions, there should be no problem in clearing the partition with Mint 16. But then are you sure you want mint 19, why not mint 18.3, which seems more robust. I recall Clem asking this question...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BobMacall wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:26 pm but next screen doesn't let you pick install point.
Sure it does. You merely specify the desired partition to be mounted as root / and elect to format it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BobMacall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BobMacall »

Well, I guess "mount point" means which partition you want to install.
I specified "/" on sda2 and elected to format that partition even tho it was already ext4.
It worked! I wish the documentation was more complete. What's there is pretty lame.
I seem to recall I had similar problems when I first set up this computer. As far as Mint 19
vs Mint 18.3, I didn't know. Just naively thought that the latest would be the greatest. I
guess I could downgrade , but I'll try this for a while.
Thanks for the replies,

Bob

Return to “Installation & Boot”