A Sad Day for Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FargerLake

A Sad Day for Mint

Post by FargerLake »

I love Mint, I have always loved Mint, and, I appreciate all of the hours that have been spent in the development of Mint. I have been building computers, installing operating systems, and, fixing technical issues for decades. But, now the time has come, where, Mint will not boot after install, on countless computers, and, that is too bad. Normally, I meet an unhappy Windows user, (and we all know that there are plenty of those), and, I hand them a Mint thumb drive. They load up their PC at home, and, they are happy Mint users. Not any more, it seems that those days are over, and I am not blaming Mint. It seems that I either have to perform a BIOS update for their computer, fight with UEFI, trading Legacy/Secure Boot/Etc. settings, over and over again, and, most times, the customer, ends up more frustrated with installing Mint, than they ever were with Windows. This is probably the work of some Microsoft employee, happy to make millions of potential Linux users, stay with Windows. Well, after my thousands of Linux installs, I am personally so fed up, that, not only am I going to stop installing Linux for others. I am going to put Windows back on my personal computers. Linux has become far too much of a hassle. It's a sad day, but, it was nice while it lasted, and, I thank you all for that. Dave
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: A Sad Day for Mint

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Moved out of the Support section since there is no question in this post.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Weird. Personally, I have no problems at all when installing Linux Mint, even on very new hardware.

Sure, it has become somewhat more difficult with UEFI, but once you know the tricks (main trick: move Windows Boot Loader down on the boot priority list in the UEFI settings), it's still a cinch.

The title of this thread strikes me as a bit precocious, by the way. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 am The title of this thread strikes me as a bit precocious, by the way. :mrgreen:
I think the whole thing is, given he's never posted and asked for assistance.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:28 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 am The title of this thread strikes me as a bit precocious, by the way. :mrgreen:
I think the whole thing is, given he's never posted and asked for assistance.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's just an "alter ego" of this guy:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=277686

First post, no assistance asked, just one big rant. That's always suspicious.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's not a sad day for Mint just because it's a sad day for Dave. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:35 am I wouldn't be surprised if he's just an "alter ego" of this guy:

That crossed my mind but I couldn't be bothered looking for the post. I think you're right.

Edit: I did a little digging. The proprietor of Irwin Electronics is named David :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

FargerLake wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 am I love Mint, I have always loved Mint, and, I appreciate all of the hours that have been spent in the development of Mint. I have been building computers, installing operating systems, and, fixing technical issues for decades. But, now the time has come, where, Mint will not boot after install, on countless computers, and, that is too bad. Normally, I meet an unhappy Windows user, (and we all know that there are plenty of those), and, I hand them a Mint thumb drive. They load up their PC at home, and, they are happy Mint users. Not any more, it seems that those days are over, and I am not blaming Mint. It seems that I either have to perform a BIOS update for their computer, fight with UEFI, trading Legacy/Secure Boot/Etc. settings, over and over again, and, most times, the customer, ends up more frustrated with installing Mint, than they ever were with Windows. This is probably the work of some Microsoft employee, happy to make millions of potential Linux users, stay with Windows. Well, after my thousands of Linux installs, I am personally so fed up, that, not only am I going to stop installing Linux for others. I am going to put Windows back on my personal computers. Linux has become far too much of a hassle. It's a sad day, but, it was nice while it lasted, and, I thank you all for that. Dave
As indicated by others you could have asked for assistance and the excellent members would have provided it. Its a pity that you moved back to Windows even on your own computers which are already running Linux.
I am running Mint on a computer for 4 years now, without a single hitch.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:03 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:35 am I wouldn't be surprised if he's just an "alter ego" of this guy:

That crossed my mind but I couldn't be bothered looking for the post. I think you're right.

Edit: I did a little digging. The proprietor of Irwin Electronics is named David :)
Looks like we may have caught someone with a multiple personality. :lol:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the op stated "I have been building computers, installing operating systems, and, fixing technical issues for decades." and also " after my thousands of Linux installs, I am personally so fed up, that, not only am I going to stop installing Linux for others. I am going to put Windows back on my personal computers. Linux has become far too much of a hassle."...what we have here is nothing more than an ego/pride situation with the op who may well be the other alter ego op on the other thread...they post "one post wonders" never asking for help but express their indignation against either mint in particular or linux in general, not understanding the fact that they have been "fixing technical issues for decades." but have not been advancing their own personal knowledge to stay up to date...i wonder if this is what TV repairmen also said when tvs no longer had vacuum tubes and were frustrated in not being able to service newer integrated circuit, tubeless tvs that now have computerisation built into them...in the automotive business, ive heard mechanics say they are giving up because they cannot troubleshoot motor vehicles any longer because they are so computerised now...the same with computer hardware, software, firmware, etc....time marches on and with it comes changes in how to do things...personally im happy not using dos, fortran, etc. or using 56k modems connecting to aol, juno etc...those who do not keep up with changes get left behind...likewise, those who are too proud or egotistical in there "old school" knowledge who never ask for help and instead "wax nostalgic" for the "good old days" are also left behind and unfortunately will never be happy because what ever they thinki is going to be easier or better, seldom is because guess what?...their modernising as well...so i am truly sad for the op but no...it is not a sad day for mint or linux...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 am the op stated "I have been building computers, installing operating systems, and, fixing technical issues for decades." and also " after my thousands of Linux installs, I am personally so fed up, that, not only am I going to stop installing Linux for others. I am going to put Windows back on my personal computers. Linux has become far too much of a hassle."...what we have here is nothing more than an ego/pride situation with the op who may well be the other alter ego op on the other thread...they post "one post wonders" never asking for help but express their indignation against either mint in particular or linux in general, not understanding the fact that they have been "fixing technical issues for decades." but have not been advancing their own personal knowledge to stay up to date...i wonder if this is what TV repairmen also said when tvs no longer had vacuum tubes and were frustrated in not being able to service newer integrated circuit, tubeless tvs that now have computerisation built into them...in the automotive business, ive heard mechanics say they are giving up because they cannot troubleshoot motor vehicles any longer because they are so computerised now...the same with computer hardware, software, firmware, etc....time marches on and with it comes changes in how to do things...personally im happy not using dos, fortran, etc. or using 56k modems connecting to aol, juno etc...those who do not keep up with changes get left behind...likewise, those who are too proud or egotistical in there "old school" knowledge who never ask for help and instead "wax nostalgic" for the "good old days" are also left behind and unfortunately will never be happy because what ever they thinki is going to be easier or better, seldom is because guess what?...their modernising as well...so i am truly sad for the op but no...it is not a sad day for mint or linux...DAMIEN
Well it is a little annoying to discover that there are "secret: settings in BIOS that you have to tweak to get Linux to load. I had fits with my little HP Spectre x360, and it was annoying. I hope that those smarter and better at code can fix this little issue with UEFI and Secure Boot. I grant he went about it the wrong way, but there is still a problem to some degree.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

keep in mind that those "secret" settings in bios has nothing to do with the developers at all...in your case, you can thank HP for that because microsoft told them that things like fastboot for enabling windows hybrid shutdown, secure boot which is for windows boot up manager etc are required for windows operating systems...microsoft dominates the desktop market and the computer makers kowtow to microsofts demands...and none of the different makers bios/uefi are alike...what would you like developers to do of a situation that is not in their control other than tell you in the plainly written install instructions that these things need to be disabled in order to install?...you cannot alter the manufacturers built in bios/uefi coding...there is no magic "one size fits all" code to be able to do this in varying makers systems...these are the things that computer users need to learn about in order to truly take ownership of their own systems...DAMIEN
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:19 am keep in mind that those "secret" settings in bios has nothing to do with the developers at all...in your case, you can thank HP for that
Note that the OP explicitly says he doesn't blame Mint.

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi moem...that was for murphcid where he mentioned what i was replying to...
Well it is a little annoying to discover that there are "secret: settings in BIOS that you have to tweak to get Linux to load. I had fits with my little HP Spectre x360, and it was annoying. I hope that those smarter and better at code can fix this little issue with UEFI and Secure Boot. I grant he went about it the wrong way, but there is still a problem to some degree.
note that he mentioned coders and I construed that to mean developers
I hope that those smarter and better at code can fix this little issue with UEFI and Secure Boot
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It is also a sad day for the Paragraph. May it rest in peace.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

altair4 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:15 am It is also a sad day for the Paragraph. May it rest in peace.
And... the... full... stop... not... to... mention... the... ellipsis...
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

FargerLake wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 am I love Mint, I have always loved Mint, and, I appreciate all of the hours that have been spent in the development of Mint. I have been building computers, installing operating systems, and, fixing technical issues for decades. But, now the time has come, where, Mint will not boot after install, on countless computers, and, that is too bad. Normally, I meet an unhappy Windows user, (and we all know that there are plenty of those), and, I hand them a Mint thumb drive. They load up their PC at home, and, they are happy Mint users. Not any more, it seems that those days are over, and I am not blaming Mint. It seems that I either have to perform a BIOS update for their computer, fight with UEFI, trading Legacy/Secure Boot/Etc. settings, over and over again, and, most times, the customer, ends up more frustrated with installing Mint, than they ever were with Windows. This is probably the work of some Microsoft employee, happy to make millions of potential Linux users, stay with Windows. Well, after my thousands of Linux installs, I am personally so fed up, that, not only am I going to stop installing Linux for others. I am going to put Windows back on my personal computers. Linux has become far too much of a hassle. It's a sad day, but, it was nice while it lasted, and, I thank you all for that. Dave
well, you have triggered a bunch of people... now let's get back on topic.

I feel your pain. Yes, UEFI has made simple installation a nightmare.
I have several HP computers, and all of them have Different UEFI options in the BIOS, the menus are a mess and not consistent.
Other manufactures have not done much better.

BTW: I was recently informed and corrected... UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) was not invented by Microsoft, google it...
the Wikipedia article is informative. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_E ... _Interface

Linux Mint could further their cause by making some better instructions on how to get started.

BTW: There are many many other distros out there. Start looking and doing some test installs.
installers range from super simple (can be invasive) to complex (powerful and provide options to fit most any use case)
the Linux Mint installer is not the easiest by far.

in closing, don't give up on all of Linux because of your frustration with the Linux Mint installer.

PS: paragraphs would sure help!
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi altair4, hi catweazel...massacred those punctuations, paragraphs and ellipses didnt i...just doing my bit to "disambiguate", (pun intended), proper english sentence structure ...lol...DAMIEN
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 am i wonder if this is what TV repairmen also said when tvs no longer had vacuum tubes and were frustrated in not being able to service newer integrated circuit, tubeless tvs that now have computerisation built into them
Some did indeed use it as an opportunity to retire. What really killed off most of the TV service trade, though, was when TVs started to become disposable items. :(
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 am one post wonders
Not sure if "activity" includes logging in to look at replies (and in any case, if the OP visits without logging in, we won't see them) but I see quite a lot of stats like this:

Code: Select all

Last active:
    17 Sep 2018, 05:46
Total posts:
More like a "hit and run", this one! :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 am
altair4 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:15 am It is also a sad day for the Paragraph. May it rest in peace.
And... the... full... stop... not... to... mention... the... ellipsis...
:lol: :wink:

altair4 and catweazel, now the "only one space after a sentence" is creeping in too. I'm an administrative assistant and create documents for others. I've been told that one space is now "ok". :evil:

Even here in the forum, when two spaces are put in after a period, the two spaces are changed to one space.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”