Urgent help Accidentally broken linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Urgent help Accidentally broken linux mint

Post by vishgaur »

I installed pantheon linux repositories

To remove them i installed ppa-purge
And by mistake did ppa-purge to os-patches.

It removed everything and rebooted
Now can't even get to login screen. Stuck on tty1 that says wrong password always as this is already not the correct way to login. While I was inside there. I saw terminal/synaptic/soft sources everything getting uninstalled.
I even didn't look out when it said type 'yes do as i say'

Does that mean a complete reinstall?

:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Urgent help Accidentally broken linux mint

Post by vishgaur »

Now downloading iso to usb android app as I don't have any other system.
In case a reinstall is the only way.

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm not an expert, but I'd say you're heading for a reinstall.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

I admire all replies. By the way, I highly doubt that any expert would have said anything different.
Thank you mate.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

There are ways around the re-install but given your description of your way of administering your system I believe a complete re-install would probably be the best thing that happened to your system in a long time, so I do recommend going through with that. Try to be more careful with its re-incarnation. Live and learn. ;)

PS: Don't forget to back up your data first, should you not have a current backup, anyway (if anything, situations like these teach you the value of a solid backup strategy).
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

I was thinking to reinstall MATE instead of cinnamon.
I backed up everything in external hard disk 2 days ago.
My timeshift was not working through gui and only through terminal already.
I tested several environments and decided to stick with cinnamon after testing mate. Then this happened tonight.

I must say I am very lucky that I had backed up my data.
I forgot to backup very important receipts for my career. But guess what? I'm too lucky, just plain lucky. Out of curiosity just 1 hour before this happened I integrated dropbox amd drive and saved those important files in drive and dropbox. If this isn't luck then what would luck be then. :P I agree that a reinstall is much better for me. I had a lot of junk in there that I was unable to get over with.

Android app did miracle and made usb bootable and I abused those who rated it bad :p 3 star app man and it works as described.

I used anything other than windows (just mint cinnamon 19, tara) for only 2 months and learned a lot of it. Sometimes these experiences are necessary in order to learn and live as you said.

And as I said. I welcome every reply. Thank you very much :)

P.S. I read your P.S. later :p but I included the reply already. Haha xD

ud6

Post by ud6 »

But surely all your data is still there? I keep live USB for the express purpose of booting into it, copying all my data from home to backup external hard drive, and then I can do reinstall without losing data. Of course, if you have seperate home partition you can just do fresh install, on partition where file system is/was.

Since a fresh install (and reconfiguring system) for me takes about an hour, any error that takes longer to sort, I just do a reinstall :shock:

Hope it goes well
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

All I can say is that I have been there more times than I can count - all brought on by my own , shall we say exploration and curiosity - a few times without backing up my data - had to learn that the hard way (yes, I know you would think once would suffice . . . so I will leave that as is without further comment). The good thing is I got a lot of experience doing clean installs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”