Wine doesn't appear on my menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
staustelladam
Level 1
Level 1

Wine doesn't appear on my menu

Post by staustelladam »

Okay,

Second question for a newbie. Trying to install Wine (to run some simple Win apps- especially Treepad) and it doesn't appear on my menu anywhere. Not sure if I have installed the correct packages, but I did see that I need to have 32 bit enabled also.

Wine HQ suggests using terminal, but I get to: [sudo] password for *user*:

It won't allow me to enter my password, or indeed anything, at this point (Gnome terminal) Is there a quick and simple way to get Wine going?
Thanks,
A.
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made the title a bit more descriptive
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: WINE:

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can install wine through the software manager just type in wine and scroll down until you see wine-stable
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

And FYI, password is not echoed back to the terminal.
staustelladam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by staustelladam »

Hi,

That's how I originally installed it - the stable version. Software Manager gives me the option to either Launch or Remove, yet it doesn't show in the all applications section of the menu, and even searching menu does not show it.

In Software Manager, clicking Launch doesn't do anything either.

Thanks,
A.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

You should find WINE and windows programs at

Code: Select all

/home/<username>/.wine/
/home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/
etc
A sample command to launch a program would be

wine "C/windows/program.exe"
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wine doesn't appear on my menu

Post by Moem »

As far as I know, it should show up when it's needed... meaning, when you are trying to launch a .exe file. Once you have a program installed through Wine, that program should then show up on the menu.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
staustelladam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by staustelladam »

Synaptic Package Manager tells me that it is installed ... but it doesn't appear anywhere on my system.

Home/User has nothing that indicates Wine at all in the file manager (even with view hidden files flagged)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

What happens when you try to run a Windows program?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, staustelladam.
staustelladam wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 pm
Trying to install Wine (to run some simple Win apps- especially Treepad) and it doesn't appear on my menu anywhere.
I am not quite sure when precisely the following change has been implemented into the Wine software package, I assume it may have been in version 3.0, not sure though. Fact is the following still applies, no matter whether you install Wine from the Ubuntu software repositories or from the WineHQ software repository:
Ubuntu - Installing WineHQ packages wrote:If you have previously used the distro packages, you will notice some differences in the WineHQ ones:
  • Menu items are not created for Wine's builtin programs (winecfg, etc.), and if you are upgrading from a distro package that had added them, they will be removed. You can recreate them yourself using your menu editor.
I have not found any place, where the reason for this change for the worse has been given. Just take it as a fact.
Let me confirm again:
Though the quoted paragraph might suggest the behaviour between the Ubuntu repo version of Wine and the WineHQ version of Wine were different, no, it is not. Both will no longer have the "Wine" application sub-menu by default.

Only after you have installed your first Windows application through Wine, which creates a menu launcher, the "Wine" sub-menu will appear and display the launcher of your Windows application.
(But I think I had to do some fiddling around even then to make the "Wine" sub-menu and its content appear: Not sure whether this was on Xubuntu 18.04 or on Ubuntu 18.04 Mate.)

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

Hi
staustelladam wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 pm
Trying to install Wine (to run some simple Win apps- especially Treepad) and it doesn't appear on my menu anywhere.
is this not a linux version of Treepad?
Moem wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:21 am
it should show up when it's needed... meaning, when you are trying to launch a .exe file. Once you have a program installed through Wine, that program should then show up on the menu.
GS3 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 am
A sample command to launch a program would be

wine "C/windows/program.exe"
karlchen wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:13 am
Only after you have installed your first Windows application through Wine, which creates menu launcher, the "Wine" sub-menu will appear and display the launcher of your Windows application.
What the fine people above are trying to tell you is: don’t worry about the menu entry, just go ahead & try to run/install your Windows application
go to to the app's folder, lets assume its called treepad.exe, open terminal & type

wine treepad.exe
or, open terminal anywhere & run

wine explorer
, then locate the Windows application & run it

Good luck
staustelladam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by staustelladam »

Well ... thanks for this, I didn't even know a Linux version existed - installed and linked already. Thank you.

I have now managed to get Wine in my menus, but the list of installable apps is very limited ... I guess I'm missing out on something here, as I would have thought a browse/file/install option would exist for those apps not in the default list.

Cutting to the quick ... I want/need to load/install Lotus Organizer 5 ... has anyone got any tips please?

Thanks,
A.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

generally you right click the installer select properties and under Permissions make sure there is a check mark in Allow executing file as program now click on the Open With tab and in the search block type in wine and click Add to list then Set as default - now install
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Return to “Newbie Questions”