LinuxMint on a dual Xeon system

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hamby

LinuxMint on a dual Xeon system

Post by Hamby »

I haven't found any topics in the forum dealing with dual CPU setups.
Hopefully someone has experience with dual CPUs with LinuxMint and can answer my question?

I'm building a Linux system using an Asus dual-Xeon CPU motherboard and a pair of 5620 Xeon CPUs (hope to upgrade to more powerful CPUs eventually).
I would like to install LinuxMint on it, but will it run on such a system, and will it take advantage of the multiple CPUs?

My primary use will be 3D modeling / rendering and video editing.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LinuxMint on a dual Xeon system

Post by AscLinux »

Linux on supercomputers.
Don't worry, it can handle yours, too. ;)
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

interesting question
I have a HP z620 dual Xenon 2.20GHZ E5-2660 with 64GB ram

after more than a year running various Linux distros I have the "feeling" that the CPU capabilities are seldom used...nor is the ram.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I would like to suggest that you consider using/installing Nvidia graphics hardware (Quadro?). Nvidia provides great linux support. AMD support for linux has recently changed, and you may run into problems with AMD drivers where intensive graphics rendering is needed.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

from my archives in June of this year, compiling a custom ISO with MX:
this is about the only instance that I recall that they system was working hard.
I was doing my normal chores at the same time with no noticeable lag in performance.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm interesting question
I have a HP z620 dual Xenon 2.20GHZ E5-2660 with 64GB ram

after more than a year running various Linux distros I have the "feeling" that the CPU capabilities are seldom used...nor is the ram.
Yes, this is the case with many Linux machines. Users add RAM and buy powerful CPU's and they are not needed. Exactly like you do not need 16 wheels under your car.
I have 8 GB of RAM and my RAM usage is usually hovering under 1 GB, like right now. When I close this browser RAM usage drops under 500 MB. I do have i7 CPU and it is fully used when transcoding videos or compiling software.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
Hamby

Post by Hamby »

richyrich wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm I would like to suggest that you consider using/installing Nvidia graphics hardware (Quadro?). Nvidia provides great linux support. AMD support for linux has recently changed, and you may run into problems with AMD drivers where intensive graphics rendering is needed.
Thanks. I just bought an Nvidia GTX 1060 video card for it. I lean toward Nvidia anyway, since Blender seems to support Nvidia cards better.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm after more than a year running various Linux distros I have the "feeling" that the CPU capabilities are seldom used...nor is the ram.
That's because you're not using your system to its capacity, and not for any other reason.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

richyrich wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm I would like to suggest that you consider using/installing Nvidia graphics hardware (Quadro?). Nvidia provides great linux support. AMD support for linux has recently changed, and you may run into problems with AMD drivers where intensive graphics rendering is needed.
+1

I won't go near AMD video cards with Linux.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”