wine and bad fonts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael f-w
Level 2
Level 2

wine and bad fonts

Post by michael f-w »

[SOLVED] OK I must admit it I’m stumped. I have wine running a windows program, and the fonts on it are thin and ‘blocky’ it is use able, but only just , the rest of the computer is ok it is just wine, and this is a study program so mostly all fonts. Can anyone give me a hand please ? Thank you Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: wine and bad fonts

Post by Flemur »

Try
winetricks -> default prefix -> settings -> you'll see the font stuff.

Also
winecfg -> graphics -> resolution (I use 112).

Also make sure you have the microsoft fonts installed, package "ttf-mscorefonts-installer".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
michael f-w
Level 2
Level 2

Post by michael f-w »

thank you flemur i have do as you instructed and it is a lot better it is still looks 'washed out' and even if i try a bold font or any other it all looks the same?? but it is now more readable thank for your help Michael
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

michael f-w wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 pmthank you flemur i have do as you instructed and it is a lot better it is still looks 'washed out' and even if i try a bold font or any other it all looks the same?? but it is now more readable thank for your help Michael
I like bold fonts - here's what I get with the 112 dpi setting (go up to > 120 and the fonts get bold-looking, but the GUIs start to not fit);

- the bold font in back is a foobar songlist, which lets you pick a font (for the lists, etc). I'd like everything to look like this.

- the menu in front of everything is also foobar, but the part you can't pick a font for (most of its GUI)

- the other part is audition, where the font looks like the foobar GUI font.
wine_fonts.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
michael f-w
Level 2
Level 2

Post by michael f-w »

thank you for you help Flemur i will now mark as solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”