Seeking opinions: SSD vs HDD using dual boot [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kelltech

Seeking opinions: SSD vs HDD using dual boot [SOLVED]

Post by kelltech »

Here's what I have: a 256GB SSD with Win10 on it and a secondary 1TB HDD. The more I use this Win10 daily, the more I miss Linux Mint badly. I need to keep some form of Windows, to be honest, because I really like my Need For Speed and a few other games that don't seem to run on Linux, even with Wine :D

Would it be best to clear the 1TB storage drive for Linux, or would it be recommended to try and move Win10 off of the SSD and put Mint there? And, how realistic is it to try and move Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Seeking opinions: SSD vs HDD using dual boot

Post by richyrich »

Just a suggestion . . Why not shrink your SSD by about 30 or 40 Gigs and install Mint on the SSD. Save your big drive for your data.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

richyrich wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:31 pm Just a suggestion . . Why not shrink your SSD by about 30 or 40 Gigs and install Mint on the SSD. Save your big drive for your data.
I totally agree.
Windows will not miss the smaller SSD space,
and Linux will benefit from being Blazingly Fast on the SSD.

and as suggested, use the 1TB HDD as a data storage medium.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

As suggested shrink the SSD to make space for mint or SSDs are getting cheaper, buy a small one. My home brew desktop has a 240G SSD for win10 and a 120G SSD for mint (separate partitions for / and /home), there is a 1TB HDD as a data drive formatted as NTFS and shared with mint as /home/me/data.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kelltech

Post by kelltech »

This is why I ask the silly questions...I just didn't think of this!! :lol:

I also didn't know that both win10 and Mint /root could share the SSD, and it sounds by the replies here that it is possible, and that it's possible for both Windows and Mint to share the 1TB HDD as NTFS data. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, that's awesome :idea:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

kelltech wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm This is why I ask the silly questions...I just didn't think of this!! :lol:

I also didn't know that both win10 and Mint /root could share the SSD, and it sounds by the replies here that it is possible, and that it's possible for both Windows and Mint to share the 1TB HDD as NTFS data. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, that's awesome :idea:
yes on both counts.
just be sure, that all of the backups to the NTSF drive have completed before you unplug it, if it is a USB drive.
and if not, be sure to shut the PC down by menu, do NOT pull the power plug :(

the advantage to you, of the NTSF drive, is both Windows and Linux can read/write to it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kelltech

Post by kelltech »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm
yes on both counts.
just be sure, that all of the backups to the NTSF drive have completed before you unplug it, if it is a USB drive.
and if not, be sure to shut the PC down by menu, do NOT pull the power plug :(

the advantage to you, of the NTSF drive, is both Windows and Linux can read/write to it.
Very cool, thank you AZgl1500. Another question: the TB drive is an internal with some Win programs installed and some documents. Will I be formatting that drive?

Of course, I haven't yet searched for the process I'll follow to make all of this happen, but I will do that soon.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kelltech wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 pm Another question: the TB drive is an internal with some Win programs installed and some documents. Will I be formatting that drive?
Not if you have enough room on the SSD to install Mint alongside Windwoes, and not if you shrink that HDD's partition to make room for Mint, so no. The only partition to be formatted is the one holding Mint, but not the entire disk.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kelltech

Post by kelltech »

Just making sure I'm not screwing this up.

When I make the partitions, /root is going on the SSD alongside Windows where I've shrunk 40GB and will format to EXT4. Can /home be placed on the second HDD?

I've been looking these over so I don't forget something: https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/ and https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-wind ... nt-2202090
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I had Windows 8 and Linux on a dual book 128 GB SSD. Had to clean out some Windows video advertising bloatware. Now I have Windows working in 20 GB with a second 10 GB NTFS partition for sharing word processing across both operating systems.

When you work on the big drive, you might want to split it into NTFS and Ext4. Ext4 has a different way to store permissions. Most of the Linux examples show the Linux style permissions. You would use the Ext4 partition for storing things you want to protect when there are other people logging on to your computer or when Microsoft software automatically runs an infected file.

The Linux partitioning programs make it easy to adjust the start and end of partitions which means you can change the allocation when needed. The only real restriction is Windows requirement to be the first partition on the first bootable drive.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kelltech wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm This is why I ask the silly questions...
There are no silly questions, only silly answers :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Petermint wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 am Now I have Windows working in 20 GB
My pagefile is bigger than that.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Bragging again.... :-)
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

kelltech wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 pm Can /home be placed on the second HDD?
Yes, also SWAP,.. if you wish. You would consider not to that (place /home in a separated partition on HD) and link your home folders (Music, Video, Documents,..) to anothers (directories or partitions) present or created on HD.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Okay, dancing master, how did you get your sig upside down, neat? :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kelltech

Post by kelltech »

I have trouble :?

Please let me know if this should be a new post... I installed to the SSD according to the previous help in this post. At the end of the install, I got this error:
The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

After that, I disabled UEFI and was going to attempt installing again. This time, the '+ / -' to make partitions is grayed out, and LM 19 is definitely installed where I initially installed it. I saw that in GParted using the live boot from USB.

I then mounted that partition and attempted to reinstall GRUB, but ran into more errors. I was previously running LM 19 on this laptop from a USB...not a live boot, I had it installed to a 128GB USB before deciding it's time to carve out it's own space.

But alas...I have a bit of a mess and I'm stuck! :lol:
kelltech

Post by kelltech »

kelltech wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 pm I have trouble :?

Please let me know if this should be a new post... I installed to the SSD according to the previous help in this post. At the end of the install, I got this error:
The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

After that, I disabled UEFI and was going to attempt installing again. This time, the '+ / -' to make partitions is grayed out, and LM 19 is definitely installed where I initially installed it. I saw that in GParted using the live boot from USB.

I then mounted that partition and attempted to reinstall GRUB, but ran into more errors. I was previously running LM 19 on this laptop from a USB...not a live boot, I had it installed to a 128GB USB before deciding it's time to carve out it's own space.

But alas...I have a bit of a mess and I'm stuck! :lol:
Got it figured out, I wasn't using the ISO with "V2" in it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”