I want install an Antivirus/Antimalware

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TursonX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TursonX »

HI.
I want install an Antivirus/Antimalware as alternative to virustotal.com scanning online.
I usually testing apk old files downloading to PC, to then move to Android devices.

I installed 'clamtk' from ubuntu repositories, but I denote it's an old version 4.45. Its scanning operation is a bit slow to my pc.
Which version is the right one for Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.0.4)?
Clamtk recent version from official site is 5.26: https://dave-theunsub.github.io/clamtk/

I was testing 'clamav' before, but to get antivirus updates, using command 'sudo freshclam', I got this error in process:

Code: Select all

Mon Sep 24 13:21:03 2018 -> ClamAV update process started at Mon Sep 24 13:21:03 2018
Mon Sep 24 13:21:04 2018 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs: 4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Mon Sep 24 13:21:05 2018 -> nonblock_connect: connect(): fd=4 errno=101: Network is unreachable
[b]Mon Sep 24 13:21:05 2018 -> Can't connect to port 80 of host db.local.clamav.net (IP: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6810:ba8a)[/b]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:05 2018 -> Downloading daily-24975.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:07 2018 -> Downloading daily-24976.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:07 2018 -> Downloading daily-24977.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:07 2018 -> Downloading daily-24978.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:07 2018 -> Downloading daily-24979.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:08 2018 -> Downloading daily-24980.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:08 2018 -> Downloading daily-24981.cdiff [100%]
Mon Sep 24 13:21:13 2018 -> daily.cld updated (version: 24981, sigs: 2098679, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Mon Sep 24 13:21:13 2018 -> bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 327, sigs: 91, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Mon Sep 24 13:21:19 2018 -> Database updated (6665019 signatures) from db.local.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.186.138)
[b]Mon Sep 24 13:21:19 2018 -> !NotifyClamd: Can't find or parse configuration file /etc/clamav/clamd.conf[/b]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 18 Mate x64 » kernel 4.4.0-165-generic » MSI 760GM-P34 » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » AMD Athlon II X2 240 » 4GB RAM ddr3 hynix » HDD WD Sata II
kukamuumuka

Re: I want install an Antivirus/Antimalware

Post by kukamuumuka »

What for?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

you do not need antivirus/antimalware with linux operating systems...it is not designed like windows...i have provided a link below so you can read up on the reasons why they are not needed with linux and how they actually decrease your security when you try to use them with linux...DAMIEN

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I think both of you miss the point of the OP's intent. It's not for the system. It's to scan apk files that have been downloaded.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TursonX,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is common knowledge that Linux users do not need an anti-virus or anti-malware application(s) installed and it is not recommended unless you are frequently exchanging files with MS Windows or Mac users or downloading a lot of files or supporting MS Windows or Mac users.

There are some really good bootable (from DVD or USB stick) antivirus rescue options to check your system. And, there are antivirus applications other than ClamAV that can be installed, if you really need it. My Linux Mint 18.3 system has what appears to be their current version from the Mint Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Code: Select all

clamscan --version
ClamAV 0.100.1/24982/Mon Sep 24 14:50:27 2018
Need for an antivirus.? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

Scan Ubuntu 18.04 For Viruses With ClamAV - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/scan-ubuntu-18- ... ith-clamav

===============================================================================

How to install and run Android Apps (APKs) on Linux with Shashlik
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how ... -shashlik/

How to Run Android Apps and Games on Linux
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-andro ... mes-linux/

3 Ways to Emulate Android Apps on Linux
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/emulate-a ... pps-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

TursonX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 pmI installed 'clamtk' from ubuntu repositories, but I denote it's an old version 4.45. Its scanning operation is a bit slow to my pc.
ClamAV has very low detection rate and most probably none for android viruses. You can install any free antivirus on your phone instead, which for sure is designed to detect Android viruses. I use bitdefender which scans the storage and monitor for installations.
In your case I would use just virustotal which uses 64 scanning engines (ClamAV is one of them) and do not needs "alternative".
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

silfox2000 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm You can install any free antivirus on your phone instead, which for sure is designed to detect Android viruses. I use bitdefender which scans the storage and monitor for installations.
With Android "Antiviruses", a treatment can be worse than a disease. :wink:
https://www.cnet.com/news/virus-scanner ... pp-stores/
antivirus.jpg
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TursonX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 pm HI.
I want install an Antivirus/Antimalware as alternative to virustotal.com scanning online.
I usually testing apk old files downloading to PC, to then move to Android devices.
The important thing is the virus definitions but if you need the latest clamav then you'll need to download it and install it: https://dave-theunsub.github.io/clamtk/

That said, I have no idea how effective it will be in detecting android threats. Looking at the error messages, your clamav is misconfigured. I don't it so I can't help there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

silfox2000 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm In your case I would use just virustotal which uses 64 scanning engines (ClamAV is one of them)
+1
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 am
silfox2000 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm In your case I would use just virustotal which uses 64 scanning engines (ClamAV is one of them)
+1
+2
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

There exist more up to date AV defenitions for ClamAV:
https://www.sanesecurity.com/
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Pippin, & Anyone Else,

When you install the "clamav" packages there is another package called "clamav-unofficial-sigs" that anyone can install from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" which I think includes the "sanesecurity" signatures (virus and malware definitions). If it does not, then how does a Linux user install the "sanesecurity" signatures and keep them up to date?

FYI-1: "Bitdefender" has a Linux Client that can be installed and works well. "Sophos" and "Comdo" have fully integrated anti-virus and anti-malware systems that can be installed and used. But, only install one of these if you really need it. Always run the updates first for any anti-virus and anti-malware software before doing any scans (automatic with ClamAV using "freshclam" or LMD "Linux Malware Detect"). I would highly recommend backing up first before installing any "real-time" fully integrated anti-virus software just in case. And like all fully integrated "real time" anti-virus software including the "clamav" (daemon) running all the time (if you install that), they can slow down your system and there is a risk that the software may have a "false positive" on some system or application files and if you have auto-delete or auto-quarantine enabled they could be deleted which could render your system unstable or actually crash it; you can run these apps without auto-delete or auto-quarantine enabled and read the results reports after scans and then easily delete or quarantine any "bad" files if needed. It is highly recommended that users of ClamAV and possibly other anti-virus software disable the PUA options (Potentially Unwanted Applications) as well.

FYI-2: Operator of VirusTotal Like Malware-Scanning Service Jailed for 14 Years (Sept. 2018)
https://thehackernews.com/2018/09/scan4 ... 09rj3.14jq

ClamAV Unofficial Signatures: Sanesecurity download script: linux
- see scripts at bottom? I think the "clamav-unofficial-sigs" package already does this.
https://sanesecurity.com/usage/linux-scripts/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Please see here for "clamav-unofficial-sigs":
https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs
The clamav-unofficial-sigs script provides a simple way to download, test, and update third-party signature databases provided by Sanesecurity, FOXHOLE, OITC, Scamnailer, BOFHLAND, CRDF, Porcupine, Securiteinfo, MalwarePatrol, Yara-Rules Project, etc. The script will also generate and install cron, logrotate, and man files.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
TursonX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TursonX »

Excuse me friends. I unistalled Clam AV and Clam TK from official repositories.
These apps work Horrible. Too Slow. This issue would be unacceptable to Antivirus on windowns.
LM 18 Mate x64 » kernel 4.4.0-165-generic » MSI 760GM-P34 » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » AMD Athlon II X2 240 » 4GB RAM ddr3 hynix » HDD WD Sata II
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm
What for?
that's like a mac user saying what for. while it's rare to get malware or viruses on a mac or in linux it still does happen. i have clamav in and would love a good malware detector as well.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI MrGrimm,

ClamAV can be enhanced using LMD (Linux Malware Detect), see my previous replies and the links in them (Need for an antivirus.?).

The only reason I have any anti-virus anti-malware installed is that I frequently help others who sometimes have multiple files, and or large files, that I want to check first before using them without booting up to a bootable anti-virus anti-malware rescue CD/DVD or USB stick of those applications and the online "virustotal" requires uploading the files which take too long. I also have BitDefender installed. I do not have these running in "real-time" always running mode. I have tried Sophos and it installs works well. If you frequently download, or upload, or exchange any type of files with MS Windows users or Mac users, or download various files from the Internet (like torrent files, etc...), then having an anti-virus anti-malware application installed can be helpful.

Hope this helps ...
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

phd21 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm HI MrGrimm,

ClamAV can be enhanced using LMD (Linux Malware Detect), see my previous replies and the links in them (Need for an antivirus.?).

The only reason I have any anti-virus anti-malware installed is that I frequently help others who sometimes have multiple files, and or large files, that I want to check first before using them without booting up to a bootable anti-virus anti-malware rescue CD/DVD or USB stick of those applications and the online "virustotal" requires uploading the files which take too long. I also have BitDefender installed. I do not have these running in "real-time" always running mode. I have tried Sophos and it installs works well. If you frequently download, or upload, or exchange any type of files with MS Windows users or Mac users, or download various files from the Internet (like torrent files, etc...), then having an anti-virus anti-malware application installed can be helpful.

Hope this helps ...
+1 thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MrGrimm,

You are welcome...

Return to “Software & Applications”