Can't ping Mint 19 box no matter what

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomlald
Level 1
Level 1

Can't ping Mint 19 box no matter what

Post by tomlald »

Seems like a newbie question but I can't ping this new Mint 19 box. It's a wired connection. I'm inside a local network. The firewall is off at the GUI interface and from the command line: sudo ufw disable returns "Firewall stopped and disabled on system startup". The address is manually set to 192.168.101.13, the mask is 24. Gateway is 192.168.101.1. I know I am on the correct subnet. I can't ping it from another box on the same subnet. I can ssh out. Can't ssh in obviously if I can't ping it. I have I am at a loss of what else to check. If I change to a dynamically allocated IP, same issue! Next step suggestions please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't ping Mint 19 box no matter what

Post by rene »

Although it's nonstandard and the expectation would be you'd know if you'd disabled it... what does sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all return?
tomlald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomlald »

Sorry, been on another project.

ysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all

returned

net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 0
tomlald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomlald »

Cripes I figured it out. I configured the box with openvpn (which I forgot I did) and it was connecting on startup effectively moving the box to a different subnet. No wonder I couldn't ping it. Turned off the vpn connection and all is right with the world.

To the forum user that made a suggestion, thank you for your offering.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Thanks for reporting back. I'd have never thought of that...

Return to “Networking”