Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :( [will concede to CLOSED]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :(

Post by MrEen »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 pm What's this special character called?
Unicode 00a0 (gm10's second post tipped me off.)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Yeah, I missed that. A hard space, aka non-breaking space.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :( [will concede to CLOSED]

Post by linx255 »

What's this special character called?
I don't remember where I found it. One of the fonts that comes with Mint. Noto Mono U+2000 seems to work.

But it's stressing me out! :lol:
Sorry about it :lol:
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
vladtepes

Re: Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :( [will concede to CLOSED]

Post by vladtepes »

Just
in
case
someone
has
a
really
narrow
screen
I
suppose
we
should
type
this
?

Just type normally with proper paragraphs and it will be fine.

Oh and if you want to write in ENGLISH then spell in English. Colour is correct. Aluminium is correct. Sulphur is correct.

Technically what you are looking for is a mis-speller. :lol:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

vladtepes wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:13 pm Oh and if you want to write in ENGLISH then spell in English. Colour is correct. Aluminium is correct. Sulphur is correct.

Technically what you are looking for is a mis-speller. :lol:
To be fair to our American cousins the Oxford English dictionary recognises the validity of American spellings and notes that a few variations of American origin are perfectable acceptable in British English if their use is consistent.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spell ... d-spelling

Mint has an international audience so I don't see any issue with folks posting British English or in American English on the forum. Start messing with the code and you won't find colour anywhere - it's all color. :roll:

Don't Canadians use a mix of British and American spellings?

I don't get why folks are having such a hard time with the browser spell checkers - on my British English system in both Chrome and Firefox I can flip quickly and easily between highlighting for correction the British variation or the American variation of color vs colour etc.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

none of the spell checkers take our added words and use them in a suggested list of misspelled words.
that to me, is very poor programming.

e.g., "color" is never, ever, put up as a suggest correct spelling, only "colour"

if I type "color" it is then accepted as correct, but it never put up as a suggestion.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

HTML has always merged consecutive spaces into a single space just like it has always ignored Carriage Returns.

Non-breaking spaces are used when we want to prevent consecutive space characters from being merged into a single one. Most HTML editors will do this automatically.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space

In word processing and digital typesetting, a non-breaking space, also called no-break space, non-breakable space (NBSP), hard space, or fixed space, is a space character that prevents an automatic line break at its position. In some formats, including HTML, it also prevents consecutive whitespace characters from collapsing into a single space.

In HTML, the common non-breaking space, which is the same width as the ordinary space character, is encoded as   or  . In Unicode, it is encoded as U+00A0.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 am yes they do, and they are based on a format from the UK or Netherlands spelling, and that irks me to no end.
it insists that COLOR is spelled COLOUR and it is NOT, not here any way.

I want to delete the offending miss spelled words and insert the ones I want, and have it USE THEM, which it never has, ever.
Now you know how the rest of the planet feels about US spelling :mrgreen:
Last edited by catweazel on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 pm What's this special character called?
𓀵𓀫𓀹 𓁈𓁓 𓀈𓃲𓄌𓃟 𓃠𓃞𓄊𓆖
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

catweazel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:53 am 𓀵𓀫𓀹 𓁈𓁓 𓀈𓃲𓄌𓃟 𓃠𓃞𓄊𓆖
:lol:                   :mrgreen:

I see it has no trouble with antipodean text, either:
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı                 :roll: :lol:

I might write something that turns typed character strings into their upside-down counterparts for a laugh.       :mrgreen:

BTW: Thanks for the tips on non-breakable spaces. I found the auto-squash a bit annoying too as it defeats manual formatting.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm
catweazel wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:53 am 𓀵𓀫𓀹 𓁈𓁓 𓀈𓃲𓄌𓃟 𓃠𓃞𓄊𓆖
:lol:                   :mrgreen:

I see it has no trouble with antipodean text, either:
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı                 :roll: :lol:

I might write something that turns typed character strings into their upside-down counterparts for a laugh.       :mrgreen:
:)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pmI might write something that turns typed character strings into their upside-down counterparts for a laugh.       :mrgreen:
Necromancy has
In the life of message boards
Restored what has died

What has gone
Now sleeps peacefully;
Don't wake it.

To increase to two
The spaces between one's thoughts
Perplexes the mind.

Perhaps it's better
To ask for technical help
By using Haiku.

What can't be expressed
Can be hard to contemplate
By those reading it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Well, as a typist for more years than I care to remember, two spaces after a sentence is a good thing and an all around necessity. There are some instances where you need to have two spaces so that you'd know a new sentence has been made.

Here is my example. If read quickly, it's not evident that there are two sentences in the paragraph:

Code: Select all

I went to Acme Brothers Ltd. beats by dr. dre headphones were on sale.

Code: Select all

I went to Acme Brothers Ltd.  beats by dr. dre headphones were on sale.
In the second, it's obvious because of the two spaces.

This is assumed that Acme Brother Ltd. is the exact spelling of the company.

Also, beats by dr. dre is not capitalized.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all forums strip extra space characters, and it infuriates me to no end. :twisted:

because I am a very explicit person, and I want my prose to be posted exactly like I intended it to be.

sometimes, I have to make an image of what I want to say, and then post the image in lieu of the text. :roll: :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:17 pm all forums strip extra space characters, and it infuriates me to no end. :twisted:
Your browser strips extra space characters. Most of this thread revolves around that fact.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JerryF wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 pm beats by dr. dre is not capitalized.
Why? To not do so is a grammatical error. It's not as if the company itself doesn't capitalise it's name when but writing about it - https://www.beatsbydre.com/company/aboutus

Confusion may arise with things like eBay and iPhone - but most style guides would advise to either construct your text to avoid using the lower case at the start of a sentence or just capitalise and be done - EBay or IPhone - case is not protected by trademarks as far as I'm aware.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

smurphos wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am
JerryF wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 pm beats by dr. dre is not capitalized.
Why? To not do so is a grammatical error. It's not as if the company itself doesn't capitalise it's name when but writing about it - https://www.beatsbydre.com/company/aboutus

Confusion may arise with things like eBay and iPhone - but most style guides would advise to either construct your text to avoid using the lower case at the start of a sentence or just capitalise and be done - EBay or IPhone - case is not protected by trademarks as far as I'm aware.
e e cummings
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Speaking of U.S. English spelling eliminating the "u" in colour, honour, flavour, harbour, labour, etc. Think of all the time, money and space saved by not using the useless u! Faster typing, less paper all make for better efficiency. Think of the economy!

As an added thought to ponder, why do we always use a U after a Q? it would be much qicker to eliminate it. Enqiring minds want to know...
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

kenetics wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm Speaking of U.S. English spelling eliminating the "u" in colour, honour, flavour, harbour, labour, etc. Think of all the time, money and space saved by not using the useless u! Faster typing, less paper all make for better efficiency. Think of the economy!

As an added thought to ponder, why do we always use a U after a Q? it would be much qicker to eliminate it. Enqiring minds want to know...
ImageImageImage

Return to “Open Chat”