Getting rid of overlay scrollbars

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ascaris

Getting rid of overlay scrollbars

Post by Ascaris »

I just switched to Mint Xfce from Mint Cinnamon, and I would like to know how to get rid of the overlay scrollbars in the various "X" programs (Xed, Xreader, etc). I remember the setting in Cinnamon's Settings, but I can't find anything similar in Xfce. How do I get rid of these horrible things?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Getting rid of overlay scrollbars

Post by richyrich »

Only places I know where it could be hiding is Menu > Settings > Appearance, or Menu > Settings > Window Manager.
Ascaris

Post by Ascaris »

Found the solution. It involves setting the environment variable GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING to 0.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=10881
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

I did what has been suggested, but it doesn't work for me. Is adding

Code: Select all

export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
to ~/.bashrc only thing you had to do? Are you using Mint 19 or Mint 18.x?
Mint 19 Xfce here.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi slavko.

Have you tried logging out/in or rebooting since the change?

From the OP's signature, it appears they were using 19 as well.
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am Have you tried logging out/in or rebooting
Yes, of course, rebooted, but it was of no avail.
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

Settings | Effects | Overlay scrollbars (logout required). Turn it off ... simples! :D
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

Neil Darlow wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm Settings | Effects | Overlay scrollbars (logout required). Turn it off ... simples! :D
Yes... in Cinnamon, not so simple in Xfce.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

See if the last post here helps.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

slavko wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 pm
MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am Have you tried logging out/in or rebooting
Yes, of course, rebooted, but it was of no avail.
Greetings!

Your problem is an old/standing issue. Its been discussed at length on the Xfce.org-forum, @ https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=49672#p49672 ... My reply @ #9 describes what i did to kill those fade-in/-out scrollbars in the Mint-X & -Y themes (i assume that other GTK3-compliant themes have similar issues). Editing the "/etc/environment" file (as root) fixed my laptop's fresh LM19-xfce install. Credit is due: ultimately, the post on Arch's forum did the trick.

Good luck, M4A
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

AAAAAAAAH, what a relief! Finally, those pesky things are gone!

Thanks to all off you who offered help!

Now, to summarize, just for the record:
LM 19 Xfce, tried several things (all revolving around system variable GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING):

1. If I start program with:

GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0 xed
it WORKS (that means NO overlay scrollbars).

2. If I set variable per user, by adding:

export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
to ~/.bashrc then it DOESN'T WORK.

3. If I set variable globally, by adding:

GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
to /etc/environment then it WORKS, again.

Funny thing is, in both cases 2 and 3, export -p reports variable as set (with value "0"). Now, why in case 2 it doesn't work and in case 3 it works, is beyond my understanding.

BTW, in Cinnamon it's as simple as turning off one switch in Settings » Effects, In MATE it's already set (globally) to "0".
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

I'm not the OP, so I can't mark topic as "solved", but it should be marked, IMO.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

Glad to see it working for you :D ... My humble answer to your 3 scenarios: it all has to do with a particular switch-setting's "scope" -- simply speaking, who "sets" the variable, and who "sees" it. If we exclude hacks & exploits for a moment, a "parent" process sets it, and a "child" process sees, ad infinitum (unless some rules restrictions get programmed in). Linux' process tree (Terminal > "pstree") demonstrates that scope, and its underlying rules for who can "see" the parent's settings ... In LM18 & 19, "systemd" is the grand-parent for xfce4-panel, and all the processes started from the panel inherit the parent's settings (aka "environment").

Your #1 scenario works just for that instance because it inherits from the panel, then you set a new variable, and your editor inherits from terminal+commandline; then it goes away when you close THAT terminal window.
Your #2 scenario fails because you are barred from modifying the parent's environment; if you could, every process could do so up the process tree and create chaos at any level including the great-parent's (that's the world of hacks and exploits);
Scenario #3 works because at all levels/tree branches because you, as root, modified the GLOBAL environment of the systemd grand-parent process BUT you had to reboot to make it effective; that's why all subsequent processes (after that reboot) now can see the new setting/variable and act accordingly.

Sidebar: I wished there was a global system flowchart for each DE, such as XFCE or MATE, so we all could comprehend better how it all hangs together ... "Security by obscurity", eh? I hate this way of piecing things together ... :(
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

mint4all wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am Sidebar: I wished there was a global system flowchart for each DE, such as XFCE or MATE, so we all could comprehend better how it all hangs together ... "Security by obscurity", eh? I hate this way of piecing things together ... :(
Yup, I agree with that 100 percent. :)

This is a very helpful post, bound to be beneficial to others, so yeah, marking it solved could be even more helpful.

Greetings from Overseas ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Xfce”