Mint LXDE CE OFFICIAL!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint LXDE CE OFFICIAL!!!

Post by kanishka »

Very good news!!! :D
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

Excellent! :D

A good choice for all who enjoy using Mint!
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

hey McLovin,

I'm very glad to hear Mint LXDE will be an official release :D

I can't wait to try it out!!

Cheers,

Deadguy
alexxx24887

Post by alexxx24887 »

Will the LXDE CE support x86_64?

thx
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

no, as it is meant for low power machines. However, once the meta package is created, it will be easy to add to a Mint x64 install.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

:) I am also interested in testing Linux Mint on LXDE. I got a PIII @ 900 MHz with 256 MD SDRAM to play with and I'd rather choose Mint over other distro. :wink:
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi McLovin,

I never saw a desktop with LXDE (WM) in my life
I swear about this due to a completely lack
of interest on it. Now i am really anxious
to know a new flavor of mint out of the box
released as an official LM edition. Of course
we are going to test it before and i am a
candidate to support testing on this task
McLovin, You can count with me although
not sure i can send good information about it.

Anyway i want be involved and know on your
new and remarkable project which is on the way.
Good Luck and i hope we can have it as a Linux
Mint LXDE CE 7 "Gloria" Edition .
One more mint flavor and one more choice
added for everybody.

I was about to download Knoppix just by
a strong curiousity of knowing on LXDE (WM)
Or that LXDE Remastersys for Debian but i am
beeing in this case (partial to Mint) Ooops!
Now i will wait for LM LXDE CE 7 Gloria.

Mint LXDE screenshots are fantastic.

Please, don't stop it and go ahead...
Make it ready. It gonna be a big surprise WOW!
------------------------------------------------
The Best is to Come
"Gloria" - The next version of Linux Mint 7 _ Stay Tuned

Cheers
Roberto :wink:
SharkyPL

Post by SharkyPL »

I'm wondering how is the work going. 9.04 is almost here, already on the torrents. I hope Linux Mint 7 LXDE won't be released like 6 XFCE - many months after Ubuntu.
Best wishes with this.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I want to apologize to everyone for the lack of development, and my absence as of late, I had a baby and have had to tend to other issues. I will be trying to get things rolling soon. I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on, and that I did not flake out on the project, just have life issues to deal with.
kage

Post by kage »

McLovin wrote:I want to apologize to everyone for the lack of development, and my absence as of late, I had a baby and have had to tend to other issues. I will be trying to get things rolling soon. I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on, and that I did not flake out on the project, just have life issues to deal with.

Well!
That's what i call very good news!!! Congrats with your baby!! There are things in life that are more important then LXDE!
(not many but this is definitely one of them)

kage
SharkyPL

Post by SharkyPL »

That's great news. Both because of Mint LXDE and because of a baby. Congratulations!
Please keep us updated. Absence of information is confusing. :)
Good luck!
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

Still waiting for news on Mint LXDE CE. :D Can we test it?
mattf

Post by mattf »

I really appreciate the work you are doing on this. I downloaded LXDE for Mint on an older computer, but it is not as complete as a real LXDE Community Edition like yours would be. Looking forward to it.
atonz

Post by atonz »

Very interested in using this on an old 1.6GHZ 512MB Ram P4 with Nvidia Geforece2 as I am finding Xfce maybe just one step too much for the old girl. Might try e17 this week.

For those of you using LXDE with mint already what CE are you using with it? I was thinking about Fluxbox or maybe even the upcoming XFCE CE.
mattf

Post by mattf »

I hooked up LXDE on a Linux Mint 7 Main Edition install and Openbox on a Linux Mint 6 Xfce CE install.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

indrg invited me to share my experience with Mint LXDE CE. I will begin by stating it was my own attempt to get LXDE on my Felicia installation.

I'm not sure I was asked about my experience with LXDE on Mint (because I'm simply a Mint user) but I can only say it started painful and it ended beautiful. Why painful? Because I took the LXDE source packages and compiled them on my machine, going through a series of dependencies that made me waste quite a few hours until I finally rebooted and found out I succeeded.

Far from the same result McLovin showed us in his screenshots because I didn't go through all the details do get transparency for the windows, special graphics and all the other details we can easily see in the first post of this thread. However, I experienced a very pleasant environment that worked beautiful right after I started my graphics session, which loaded in just a few seconds - and when I say few I really mean it. After I passed my user and password it only took 2-3 seconds to have a working desktop. LXDE is a true representation of what a GUI should be able to offer as a base. I discovered LXDE in Parted Magic - an amazing distro for rescue operations and since then I really wanted to see LXDE in Mint as well, the latter being my favorite distribution since Bianca.

What else can I say about my experience with LXDE on Mint? It just felt great. If there's anything I'd like to fix in it, that's the main menu's button and it's "hotspot". Maybe Mint's developers will find a way to overcome this tiny issue. If you're going far left, to the edge of the screen, your click won't activate the main menu's button. You can only activate it if you're moving your mouse a few pixels on the right of the edge so you can open the menu. That's it! For a tiny Mint distribution that would fix all my problems. :P

OK, then others would pop-in... :D Anyway, I compiled LXDE because I didn't trust the existing binaries at that time - not being in the default Debian/Ubuntu repositories so I didn't want to take the chance by installing something that would break my Mint installation and manually installed all dependencies from the default repositories then compiled LXDE. This is how I managed to make it work on my Felicia setup.

Now if this information helps anyone - that's nice. Otherwise, it's just another story to fill up the gap until our dearest developers will handle the LXDE CE as well. I wil certainly try XFCE on that old laptop I mentioned some while ago but I am actually waiting for LXDE to come in the picture.

McLovin, congratulations again for being a father! If you read my message, please leave Clem a message about LXDE CE. This is your baby, just as your real one, but the Linux one we would like to share it with everyone in here. :D
atonz

Post by atonz »

Anything new on this development? Very eager for this release! Can I get a beta iso somewhere?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is moving slowly- McLovin still has health issues but has promised to speed things up when that is over
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

moldor

Post by moldor »

Very happy to hear that this is to be official. I'm running Mint 7 at the moment on an ASUS 1000HE Netbook and have just installed the Lxde desktop - an excellent choice with this type of machine. I prefer it to Xfce.

Happy to help with whatever testing is required. The ASUS is somewhat of a "sacrifical" machine, as my main Linux machine is a MacbookPro which dual-boots between Mint 7 and OS X.

Have you picked an "official" logo for it yet ? I was thinking of something like the XFCE one, of course with the appropriate changes - maybe work the CE in there somewhere ?

Jon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”