Upgrading Release Candidate version?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrading Release Candidate version?

Post by ShyGuy »

Pardon me if has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering how difficult it is upgrading from Mint 7 RC1 to the new final version when it is released.
Is it possible to do without a fresh install?
Would it be easier to upgrade from Mint 6?
Should I just wait for the final release?

I currently use Freespire 2.0.8 but it seems to have been abandoned by Xandros. I am looking to migrate to a new Linux and Mint appears to be my best choice. I would like to move over this month but I am not sure when Mint 7 is coming out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kansasnoob

Re: Upgrading Release Candidate version?

Post by kansasnoob »

ShyGuy wrote:Pardon me if has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering how difficult it is upgrading from Mint 7 RC1 to the new final version when it is released.
Is it possible to do without a fresh install?
Would it be easier to upgrade from Mint 6?
Should I just wait for the final release?

I currently use Freespire 2.0.8 but it seems to have been abandoned by Xandros. I am looking to migrate to a new Linux and Mint appears to be my best choice. I would like to move over this month but I am not sure when Mint 7 is coming out.
It was possible with Felicia, so I expect it will be with Gloria.

And, YES! Freespire is done! Still based on Ubuntu 7.04, and now even 7.10 is done!

The stability of Gloria RC1 amazes me. I wouldn't be at all scared to install it!

Definitely more secure than any old Linspire distro!
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

How is this update procedure done? Is it just a matter of clicking on a upgrade button? I also plan on using the new ext4 file system.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

Sorry to bump this thread, but I saw that the full release of Mint 7 came out today. I enabled include dist-upgrade packages and hit refresh but no new updates were available. Is there something else I need to do or do I already have the 7.0 GA version from previous updates?
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I think it will be a couple days before upgrading like that is completed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”