Ad-Hoc (no router) Wi-Fi file sharing, NOW SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Ad-Hoc (no router) Wi-Fi file sharing, NOW SOLVED

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi all, not been here for a while.

OS = Mint 18.3 - all updated and running fine.

Objective = to be able to share files on my laptop to my Andriod phone, when away from any router.

I believe this is known as "Ad-Hoc" - Yes?

I Researched it.
I created a new wireless connection on my laptop and set it as "Ad-Hoc" plus I set "shared to other computers" (I set security to "non" for the test).

My phone (or another Linux laptop) could not "see" the new wireless network I created :(

Any thoughts kind folks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Ad-Hoc (no router) Wi-Fi file sharing, can't get it working.

Post by JeremyB »

Try mode Access Point as I think Android phones ignore ad-hoc
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the input :)

I don't see the option for "access point" but I do see a "hotspot" option, tried that just now. Phone still doesn't see the new network...
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

there is an Android app that can be useful,
in PlayStore search for ASUS File Manager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilemanager

with that, I can cruise around on PCs, and copy/paste to/from my laptop to my phone.

it can work as a pure file manager, or it can work as a Network paste from phone to "Shared Folder" on PC

I use it every day..... snap a bunch of pictures, and send them to my laptop Desktop which is a 'shared folder'
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the input AZgl1500.

However, I don't have any problem browsing my files in either direction whilst connected to my home network via my router (I use a variety of methods, ES File Explorer, Wi-Fi File Transfer etc). No problem there.

What I am trying to do is be able to "see" files on my PC, from my Andriod phone, when no router is present.
I believe (but could be wrong!!) that this is known as an "Ad-Hoc" network (stands by to be corrected).

An example would be (and is), say I am camping in a field, (away from any Internet connection of any sort) with my laptop in my camper van, and my phone in my hand (whilst sitting around a campfire ;) ). I would like to be able to access my files on the laptop, via my phone.
I have researched loads, and from what I have read, it should be quite simple, but I cannot get my phone to "see" my laptop (without the router) no matter what I try :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

IIRC,
that can be done via Bluetooth, but I can't remember the app that did that.

just found this, but it is for webpages: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... PcBrowserM

another one that uses WiFi https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... plorerFree

this one looks interesting, going to install it and see how it works https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t.Computer

interesting, but it won't connect to the PC handily, it want a Network connection, and it is ignoring my WiFi to my laptop.......... uh, there is a New Connections Menu to add in username/password/domain etc
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I actually prefer using a USB cable with my phone as some phones don't have OBEX over bluetooth enabled
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm IIRC,
KDE Connect does it. You can install it in LM19 and on your Android devices.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm IIRC,
KDE Connect does it. You can install it in LM19 and on your Android devices.
unfortunately, it appears to be not compatible with 18.3 Mint Cinnamon
"cannot connect to KDE Connect DBus Service" ]/c]
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for all the suggestions folk :)

In my case, the Bluetooth function on my phone will be already in use doing something else, so that isn't an option.

I really need to be able to do simple file sharing between Android phone and laptop, when no router is present.

Who would have thought it so tricky......
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Ad-Hoc (no router) Wi-Fi file sharing SOLVED

Post by ghost123uk »

Just thought I would pop back here to say I solved it, and after all, it was dead easy !!

On Andriod phone, go to the "Portable Wi-Fi Hospot" bit (it was under "Settings / other" on my phone).
Go to "Configure Wi-Fi hotspot" bit and give it a short "friendly" name (I reckon no gaps and keep it short maybe best).
Then, on that same screen, select a password.(minimum 8 characters) - Don't forget to click "save" !!
Then go back one and turn on the "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" button.
I did get an error message stating "Tethering error" but I ignored it, clicked ok and proceeded :shock:

I turned OFF my "Mobile data" - don't really know why, just to keep it simple and to not risk using large chunks of my data allowance :roll:

No go to the Linux laptop's Wi-Fi networks list and look for the name you selected for the hotspot on the phone. (I had to click on "view other networks" to see it)
Enter the password.

Now go back to the phone and use "ES file explorer" (if you don't have that "app" install it = it's good)
Now click on the 3 "burger" lines (top left on my version) and scroll down to "Network" and select "Lan"
Now click on "Scan" (blue banner at bottom of screen).
Assuming you you have set up file sharing on one or more folders on your laptop, you should see the name of your laptop in the form of a "folder".
Just click on that and you can now see the files in the shared folder(s).
Using the facilities offered by ES File Explorer, you can now either view / play or copy files on the phone :D

I tested it on 3 Android different phones and it worked fine on all of them :)

Once you have done it a couple of times, it takes less time to set up than it takes to read the above!!

Hope this is of some use to someone sometime :)
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Ad-Hoc (no router) Wi-Fi file sharing, NOW SOLVED

Post by BG405 »

ghost123uk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:10 am Hope this is of some use to someone sometime :)
I'm pretty certain it will be! :D The reason I didn't post in this thread before is I don't (presently) have any Android devices.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Networking”