tool for changing my IP-address

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nitya Deva

tool for changing my IP-address

Post by Nitya Deva »

Is there a simple program which let me easily change my IP-address?
Thank you very much!
gm10

Re: tool for changing my IP-address

Post by gm10 »

Yes, it's called a phone, ring up your ISP and ask them to give you a different one.

If you're talking about local network IPs, check your router's admin panel if you're using DHCP, otherwise Mint menu > Network Connections let's you modify your connection settings including any manually assigned IPs.

But again, don't try this for Internet IPs, that won't work, your ISP assigns that to you, that's what you pay them for. Using proxies and/or VPN servers including the Tor network can help masking your IP, but your actual IP will remain the same.
Nitya Deva

Post by Nitya Deva »

Thank you for your answer.
I am quite sure that when I was on windows I had a program which changed my internet IP-address with just a single click on a button.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Nitya Deva wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:13 am Thank you for your answer.
I am quite sure that when I was on windows I had a program which changed my internet IP-address with just a single click on a button.
That was very likely something that changed your web proxy settings according to a list of open proxies. There are likely tools like that as well for Linux but it's not something I ever used so I cannot give you a name. You can manually configure a proxy via Mint menu > Network Proxy but you will already have to know the address of the proxy server then.
Nitya Deva

tool for changing web proxy settings

Post by Nitya Deva »

I am looking for a simple program which allows me to easily change my web proxy settings to get a new IP-address.
Thank you very much.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: tool for changing web proxy settings

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Nitya Deva.

This new thread reads as if it continues your previous thread tool for changing my IP-address.
And to me it suggests 2 things:
  • You are on the wrong track. Proxy servers do not assign IP addresses to their clients.
  • It is pretty unclear, to which device you want to assign a new IP address and for which reason.
Best regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Merging this thread with the previous thread.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Nitya Deva.
Nitya Deva wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:04 amIs there a simple program which let me easily change my IP-address?
Before a meaningful answer can be given to your question, we need to know:
  • You want to receive a different IP address for your current Linux Mint system, correct?
  • How does this Linux Mint system receive its IP address currently?
    Does your machine receive a dynamic IP address, assigned to it by your DSL router e.g.?
    If the answer is yes, then gm10's answer applies that you have to use the router admin interface and configure it to assign a different (fixed) IP address to your machine.
  • In case, however, you should be inside a small LAN, where all IP addresses have been assigned manually, then again gm10's answer applies that you can use the Network Manager application in order to assign a different IP address.
    You will have to make sure that this new address has not been assigned to another machine in the network.
    You will have to make sure that this new address is inside the same subnet as the previous one.
  • In any case it would help to know why you want to receive a new IP address.
Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gm10

Re: tool for changing web proxy settings

Post by gm10 »

karlchen wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 pm
  • You are on the wrong track. Proxy servers do not assign IP addresses to their clients.
  • It is pretty unclear, to which device you want to assign a new IP address and for which reason.
My best guess so far was he wants to access geo-blocked content, and proxy servers can mask his actual IP so that the website only sees the proxy IP. There are tools for Windows that parse lists of free open proxies and let you pick one. My understanding is he's looking for something similar on Linux.

But yep, some more details from him would be helpful to be sure that's what he actually wants because I'm basically pulled that entire story from thin air, I know. :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi gm10...though ive only used it very few times myself and if the OP is looking for a "one click wonder" without having to register himself and if he is using a chromium based browser, he could be looking for browser ext called "betternet"...this would effectively do what i think he is asking for as a proxy type of VPN that uses its IP in place of what is natural to his system...DAMIEN
Nitya Deva

Post by Nitya Deva »

What I am trying to do:
With another IP-address I want to login on page, where I already have started an announce.
Because I want to have there another announce of the same topic but in a different area, I'll need another IP-address.
With the similar address I am not allowed to do so.

Sorry, that I did not even mention what system I am using.
I am on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon with an Acer Aspire E 15.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Nitya Deva"
Nitya Deva wrote:What I am trying to do: With another IP-address I want to login on page, where I already have started an announce. Because I want to have there another announce of the same topic but in a different area, I'll need another IP-address. With the similar address I am not allowed to do so.
I am not sure what an "announce" is, can you explain that better?

If you change your system's IP address then everything uses that IP address until you change it again. But, browsers can use various options and settings regardless of the system's actual IP address. It is a good idea to hide your local ISP IP address when on the Internet and using a typical system-wide VPN provider's servers will work great for most people, but you only get one new IP address reflecting the VPN server location you connected to. To get multiple different IP addresses requires doing something else; "thinking outside the box" so to speak.

1.) You could do this in one browser by using tabs where each tab goes to a different VPN proxy webpage pick a server location to use with its own IP address and entering the web address for the website and "start an announce", click another browser tab go to another but different VPN proxy web page server location than the previous one, entering the web address for the website and "start an announce", etc...

Note: If you connect to VPN proxy servers in a country that you do not speak or cannot read the language in, that could be a problem, so you might want to pick VPN proxy server locations in countries that you can read and understand the language. If need be, search for VPN proxy websites for a particular country. Also, some websites may require you to login in from a certain country as well.

List of VPN proxy websites - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?q=VPN+pro ... e&ie=UTF-8

VPN proxy websites in the US - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?q=VPN+pro ... 44&bih=694

Here are 3 vpn proxy websites

FYI: If I picked to connect to a USA server in each of these vpn proxy websites below, I will get 3 different USA IP addresses.

hide.me - free vpn proxy
https://hide.me/en/proxy

vpnbook - Free vpn Web Proxy
https://www.vpnbook.com/webproxy

HMA - Free vpn Web Proxy
https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy

Example: in my Slimjet browser using multiple tabs where each tab goes to a different VPN proxy website with a different IP address in each tab but each could then go to the same web address and that website should think they are from different IP addresses. I used "ipleak.net" in both tabs to show that each tab is showing a different IP address, but you could put whatever web address is for that website where you want to login with more than one IP address. Note that most of the proxy websites have 3 or more vpn server locations available, so you could use one of the vpn proxy websites, duplicate the tab, and use a different VPN server location with its own different IP address in each different tab. Below I used two different VPN proxy websites in 2 tabs resulting in 2 different IP addresses per tab.

In a browser tab
hideme vpn proxy - screenshot 1 - select a vpn server to connect with and a webaddress to go to

hideme vpn proxy - screenshot 2 - showing one IP address

In another browser tab
vpnbook vpn proxy - screenshot 1 - select a vpn server to connect with and a webaddress to go to

vpnbook vpn proxy - screenshot 2 - showing another IP address

In another browser tab
HMA vpn proxy - screenshot 1 - select a vpn server to connect with and a webaddress to go to

2.) Another way you could accomplish this task is by using more than one browser with VPN extension add-ons like "Hoxx VPN" or "DOTVPN" in those browsers, bring up Firefox and in the VPN extension add-on connect to a server somewhere which will give you a new IP address then go to that webpage to "start an announce"?, then bring up another web browser like Google Chrome or Opera or some other browser and go to its VPN extension add-on and connect to a VPN server that is not the same server or location as the VPN server in the first browser which will give you another new IP address then go to that webpage to "start an announce", etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
gm10

Post by gm10 »

phd21 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm HI "Nitya Deva"
Nitya Deva wrote:What I am trying to do: With another IP-address I want to login on page, where I already have started an announce. Because I want to have there another announce of the same topic but in a different area, I'll need another IP-address. With the similar address I am not allowed to do so.
I am not sure what an "announce" is, can you explain that better?
My guess is he's either a spam bot in training (SCNR :lol:) or he's French/Spanish where annonce/anuncio means ad and he mistranslated that. In the latter case I guess he wants to get around cross-posting restrictions.

Or it's something else entirely, who knows... :mrgreen:
Nitya Deva

Post by Nitya Deva »

Thank you so very much for your super answer phd21!!!

And to gm10:
The word "annonce" indeed is French. (or also German, I'm from Germany)

I wanted to say "start an advertisement" of course. Sorry, there wasn't shown a writing mistake when I wrote "announce" and therefore I didn't think about it clearly enough.

Thank you very much. It is a great forum here!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Nitya Deva wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am And to gm10:
The word "annonce" indeed is French. (or also German, I'm from Germany)

I wanted to say "start an advertisement" of course. Sorry, there wasn't shown a writing mistake when I wrote "announce" and therefore I didn't think about it clearly enough.
Close enough. And no need to apologize, these literal translations happen when learning a language. They can be hard to recognize for a native speaker but if you speak a few languages they're easy enough to recognize. My favourite one from German is the proposal hammer, some machine translations seem to get that one wrong. Hilarious. :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Nitya Deva",

You are welcome...

FYI: It did not make sense to me that you would need multiple IP addresses to "start an announce"; "make a public and typically formal declaration about a fact, occurrence, or intention."
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Networking”