Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Post by Pjotr »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm At new year we now go from one cold month into another cold month
Not in the southern hemisphere. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:41 am
carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm At new year we now go from one cold month into another cold month
Not in the southern hemisphere. :lol:
You've not heard of Antarctica?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 am You've not heard of Antarctica?
That's where people are standing on their heads, like in Australia? :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 am
catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 am You've not heard of Antarctica?
That's where people are standing on their heads, like in Australia? :lol:
Amongst other strange doings.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Catweazel I see you are Australian as well. Lots of Australians on this forum and in this post of mine about timezones. Figures. I often post in the morning and in Australia it is evening then at my western european time, which means those Australians have got time to post and react, while all of America is still asleep.

Have you ever seen snow in your life Catweazel? Just a thought that popped up, when talking to an Australian. Dont know much about Australia: it's hot, they got deadly spiders and Margot Robbie.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:32 am Have you ever seen snow in your life Catweazel? Just a thought that popped up, when talking to an Australian. Dont know much about Australia: it's hot, they got deadly spiders and Margot Robbie.
I don't know who Margot Robbie is but I can tell you that Australia has mountains with snow on them in winter. Good skiing, too. :lol:

This thread is like watching you discover the world is a big place, it's so adorable. And I imply absolutely no negative connotation with that, I really think it's great. :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

<OFF TOPIC>

Speaking of Australia:

I love listening to Australians, not merely in terms of accent, but in terms of disposition and Aussie colloquialisms. I know it's a stereotype, but Australians are without a doubt overall the most unflappable culture I know. Nothing — and I mean nothing — fazes them.

Also, one of my favorite YouTube channels is How Ridiculous. Those three guys are absolutely hysterical sometimes.

</OFF TOPIC>
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Wow, shows how uninformed I am. Must be because of watching all those tv items showing tourists stranded in the Australian desert. I honestly thought Australia was one big desert, with some very nice cities on the coastal areas.

Ray Mears made some pretty impressive tv items on how to survive the australian desert. Those images of Ray Mears were burned into my memory.

Therefore I never realized that Australia had mountains, let alone snow. Ray Mears never showed that. Australia is so big, and because of that vastness I forgot it had a much colder part.

I must admit that I flunked for geography of my own homecountry many times. I am a complete mess when it comes to orientation. Once got lost in my own neighbourhood.

Getting back to Timezones, I have read that some countries are dropping/eliminating timezones. Russia had 11 timezones and scaled it back to 9. China has many timezones but compresses it to very few. I think it is fascinating that so many people around the world enjoy Linux and contribute to this forum.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

getting away from TZs for a moment:

because folks are all over the world - - we see different News Articles & Technical Articles
- because the News Media thinks that they are Relevant to Your Area 8)
but, they can be equally Relevant to Another Area :)

and you can then Post them in this Open Chat Area - - for us to read.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

I really like that this forum is so International, it is great to be able to read the news that people post from other countries. For instance I am now following the news about the Australian data encryption laws thanks to Pierre.

I am currently residing in the UK. :)

From a purely pedantry perspective, surely the best time for someone to post to get the quickest response, is as soon as they able to compose a meaningful post. i.e. the sooner you post the sooner you will get a response?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Actually, Australia is a big desert, There's just a few habitable zones around the edges. The majority of Australians do live on the Eastern Seaboard where there are mountains and Snow, and all the "usual" type of habitable climes.

Going back a few years we were travelling between Darwin and Adelaide (about 2000miles) We'd just left Alice Springs ( about 1/2 way so in the middle of nowhere) and were heading south towards the border and 600 miles of dirt (that road has been sealed for a few years now) when we cam across a lone cyclist on the side of the road. We stopped and asked if he was ok, He said he was, and asked us how far to the next town (he was European but I can't recall any more) and upon responding about 200 miles, He repeated the question emphasising NEXT. Again, we responded, about 200miles.We gave him some water because he certainly did not have enough to cope with 40 degree C temps in the shade. I have no idea how he got on, but we wouldn't have been surprised if there was a report of a dried up tourist on the side of the highway somewhere. Just as an exercise, place a map of the UK over a map of Australia sometime and you'll get some idea of the distances involved. Like driving from London to Scotland and not seeing another person.

It's not quite THAT bad, but, you'll get the idea, Actually, If you believe Catweasel's sig, he;s a little further south than Australia in the driest continent on earth. Antarctica! So he porbably has seen a little bit of snow. :)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Heh, your story makes me smile lsemmens, 2 years ago a buddy of mine cycled from Perth to Sydney going across the "big deserty bit". From his stories it does indeed sound like it is a good journey if you like to get away from the crowds and be thirsty. Pretty amazing trip, more amazing in that he got to Perth by cycling from Europe down to the bottom of Vietnam (a bit of a plane/boat action is needed to get over the water apparently). I don't think it was anything I said... :D
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Turns out my fellow dutch countrymen discovered your country Australia! Never knew that either. Been looking on wikipedia and discovered as well, that your country has the oldest landmass on earth. Dont know exactly what that means, but it sounds impressive.

My country, the Netherlands, belongs to the top of the list of countries with the highest population density. Only 5 other countries in the world are more densily populated than the Netherlands. There are a lot of city states like Macau and Monaco or islands, that are more densily populated, but only very few countries.

Australia, on the contrary, belongs to the 5 least densely populated countries in the entire world. However, everybody seems to live in the coastal areas, so this population density number on wikipedia might be misleading. My initial perception of Australia wasnt so far off, afterall. Just the fact that there are some mountains and some snow, had escaped my very bad geography radar.

Still I am curious. Have you guys in Australia ever seen snow in your lifetime? It used to snow a lot in Holland, but the last decades it has become more and more an exception. I can still remember when my little niece saw and felt snow for the very first time. I wanted to protect her from the snow by covering her with a raincoat, but she wanted to feel the snow, since she had never seen it.

I love snow. So bright. Lightens up the dark winter days overhere. But it has been a while since a lot of snow has fallen overhere. Love the muted sound as well when everything is covered with snow outside. It really feels special. I love the 4 seasons. And after a hot summer, I love the colder wintertime.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'd suggest that a lot of us have not. I certainly haven't. There are only a few areas in Australia that get snow regularly and others occasionally. If you visit the "occasional" areas, you've got to be lucky because it disappears pretty quickly.
Fully mint Household
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's snowed recently at Mt Baw-Baw - Alpine National Park - get your jacket on lsemmens - we want pics :)

https://mountbawbaw.com.au/live-cameras

BTW - I'm in the UK - early riser.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 am It's snowed recently at Mt Baw-Baw - Alpine National Park - get your jacket on lsemmens - we want pics :)

Based on those cams that's more of a hill than a mountain. :lol:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

smurphos wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 am It's snowed recently at Mt Baw-Baw - Alpine National Park - get your jacket on lsemmens - we want pics :)

BTW - I'm in the UK - early riser.
I'm holding those pictures hostage until I actually get some. No need to go to that part of VIctoria, so it's unlikely I'll ever get there.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Open Chat”