Add KDE desktop to Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
galaxy0815

Add KDE desktop to Linux Mint

Post by galaxy0815 »

Hello to all interested people!

< admin note: OP has deleted their account so we'll never see the Bash script they described. >

Since my last installations, I've been creating a bash script using zenity to allow for a simple and solid installation. It's not just the time I want to save. My main argument is to make an installation like Linux Mint 18.3 KDE. Now it works perfect for me. I have built in a variable with all packages as a list, wich I can correct and expand for my needs. To expand the installation is now done by klicking a few check boxes in a Zenity window.

Is anybody interested in such a tool?

I have tested it with all desktops from Tara (64bit) and it works fine. The lowest download quantity was reached with the MATE edition of Tara (~500MB). After installation I have a clean KDE distribution on harddisk like former Linux Mint 18.3 KDE but with an original KDE desktop, not a defaut Mint desktop. I like to install with the MATE edition, since I use all X-apps and Firefox and LibreOffice, with the exception of MATE Terminal. To install a base of applications that I would like to use from the MATE edition. The script to expand the programs you want to have is very simple. And by the way, I have a second desktop that I can switch to for test purposes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rui no onna

Re: Add KDE desktop to Linux Mint

Post by rui no onna »

Sounds awesome! I'd love to have such a tool. :D
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

I vote for this tool also. :mrgreen:
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Another supportive vote--I'll give it a go as well.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

galaxy0815 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 am Is anybody interested in such a tool?
Add me to the growing list of positive responses.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi galaxy0815,

Sounds great, add me to the list as well. Where is it?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You know what--this is the very material of a developing fork.
Go for it galaxy0815
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Go for it!

I vote for putting it on Gitlab or Github so that people can even contribute to it :)
OSSwitcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OSSwitcher »

galaxy0815 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 am
Add me to the list please!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

I'm glad there's one person for whom KDE works as expected. I never got past the constantly crashing logout greeter. That's why I chose Cinnamon - it was the only DE that never had a crashing component or the bugs found in MATE and XFCE.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
OSSwitcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OSSwitcher »

galaxy0815 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 am
And how cant I get this tool?
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Any progress or abandoned till 19.1?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Wasn't a nice tutorial in the Mint docs explaining how to install Mint 19 Xfce, remove Xfce completely, and then install KDE (ie. the right way) promised some time ago? If it's there I can't find it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 am Wasn't a nice tutorial in the Mint docs explaining how to install Mint 19 Xfce, remove Xfce completely, and then install KDE (ie. the right way) promised some time ago? If it's there I can't find it.
You might have to ping @xenopeek. It was their promise.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
freshtamatic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by freshtamatic »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:32 am I'm glad there's one person for whom KDE works as expected. I never got past the constantly crashing logout greeter. That's why I chose Cinnamon - it was the only DE that never had a crashing component or the bugs found in MATE and XFCE.
Totally agree! If someone wants KDE, they might as well look at other distros like kubuntu (for example).
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I have run Kubuntu for KDE and it's a good choice. Never got KDE neon going the way I wanted but did not waste much time on it either.

I would be interested in the switch tool. But to be honest can't really see the reason to put KDE back on Mint. after installing with the tool will it be updated?
I would use Kubuntu but I'd miss the great forums here :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

OP has deleted their account so we'll never see the Bash script they described.

I had commented long time ago that I could do a "transform Mint 19 Xfce to KDE" tutorial but I figured a Bash script to automate it would be ten times nicer so parked it at my end. It could still put doing such a tutorial back on my todo list. It would take me a bit to get around to it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”