[Solved] Picasa substitute

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Picasa substitute

Post by slinger1953 »

LM19, I have been making collages for years using Picasa, it has been brilliant, now that I have upgraded from LM17, I cannot download Picasa any longer.
Can anyone suggest anything as good as please?
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM19 Tara 64 Bit Mate 1.20.1
Acer AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G x 4
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Picasa substitute

Post by catweazel »

slinger1953 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:11 pm Can anyone suggest anything as good as please?
https://alternativeto.net/software/pica ... form=linux
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi slinger1953,

Easily Make Collages in Linux With PhotoCollage and Mountain Tapir Apps | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/photocollage-linux/

Free Photo Collage for Linux makes awesome photo collage posters | FOSS Linux
https://www.fosslinux.com/1156/free-pho ... osters.htm

After Several Years, Fotowall Has a New Release | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/fotowall-1-0-release/

Download Fotowall, save file, give yourself permission to run it (right-click, properties, permission tab, check executable,apply/ok), then double click to run it.
https://github.com/enricoros/fotowall/r ... _64.x86_64

There are also online collage makers which work on any computer operating system.

What's happening to Picasa, Picasa Web Albums, and the Picasa Web Albums API? - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help
https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/6383491?hl=en

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

catweazel, phd21,
Thank you both, there should be something here to sort me out, I'm obliged.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi slinger1953,

You are welcome from those of us that replied...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

I have had a look at suggested options thank you, but have been spoilt by Picasa.
The beauty of that programme was that I could add, delete, resize and re-arrange photos, also add and resize text etc. which I do to all of my photos.
I haven't as yet found a comparable alternative.
Question, I think I still have Picasa on LM17, on a drive somewhere, could I copy that to LM19 as I cannot download it any more?
Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Thank you anyway
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, slinger1953.

You might be interested in the Linux version of the software XnviewMP, which is free for private use. They offer .deb installation packages for 32-bit and 64-bit Mint / Ububuntu: XnViewMP.
Scroll down till you see the Linux download buttons.
Whether XnviewMP covers all the features, which Picasa offered, I do not know.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi slinger1953,

+1 for XnViewMP which comes up with its own file browser, browse to folder, on right are the contents of folders, double-click an image to bring up that image in its own image editing tab where you can easily crop, resize (scale), add text (draw), and more, when finished with that image just close the tab back to the browser tab, double-click another image, etc...

For adding text with XnViewMP, after double-clicking an image for editing, click the draw button, enter in some text, click on the image to place text, change color and other options and see what happens, click again to add another text box, etc...

See this post below. The last post has information and a video on XnVewMP and other apps.
Hello Cruel World! - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=277749&hilit=XnviewMP&start=20

Hope this helps ...
XnViewMP_AddText1.jpg
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Thank you for your responses, I'll have a look and come back in a couple of days or so.
Thanks again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi slinger1953,

You are welcome...
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

slinger1953 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 am Question, I think I still have Picasa on LM17, on a drive somewhere, could I copy that to LM19 as I cannot download it any more?
My wife loves Picasa, but I can see the end coming with Windows.

I remember installing the Windows version of Picasa with Wine and it seemed to work fine, at least as far as running. Of course, it will look for all your pictures in the "My Pictures" folder of your Wine C: folder, but you may be able to tell it to look for them on one of your Linux directories. It may have some trouble doing automatic imports from you camera or whatever you use. You may have to do some things manually.

Heck give it a try, with some dummy pictures you don't mind risking, and see if you can cope.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Picasa substitute - Virtual Machine?

Post by pgmer6809 »

A couple of Questions?
a) I did not know there was a version of Picasa that worked with Linux. I thought it was a Windows only app, hence you would run it with WINE.

If in fact there is a Linux version that works with LM17 then
b) What if the OP created a Virtual machine in Mint19, installed LM17 there and then put his Picasa on that Virtual Machine?

But that seems a bit like overkill since we are really running Linux already so, suggestion #2

c) Could he take the LM17 version of Picasa and bundle it with whatever MInt17 libraries etc he needs into a FLATPAK or even a Docker container and then run THAT in Mint19?

As I said I don't know the answers to this -- I have not done any playing with virtualization, containers or flatpaks. But it seems to be the "in" thing nowadays to address precisely this kind of support issue.

pgmer6809
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Well. I followed the link to “Chip” and hopefully downloaded it correctly.

When I executed it, I got the License agreement, Picasa 3 Setup Screen telling me that it had been set up on my Computer,
Picasa opened onto my Desktop and I thought I had cracked it.
However, I could not do anything with it at all. The screen looked as it should, Menu along the top, but a blank column down the left side, and in the middle of the main screen are the words “No Photos found” the screen is just inactive, I cannot even close the window until I reboot.

I then uninstalled it (I thought), Copied and pasted the Picas .exe file form my Windows 10 PC and opened that, getting the same result.

The situation is that it will not now uninstall from the Applications Menu, I don’t know how I can purge Picasa from my PC to try a clean install from my Windows 10.

I also do not now how I can check to see if Wine is installed and working correctly, In the Applications list I have “Wine” inside that folder there is , Configure Picasa Photo viewer, Picasa 3 and Uninstall, but I cannot uninstall either Photoviewer of Picasa/

Any ideas please?

Thank you.

pgmer6809, thank you for your suggestions, however I did a clean install with LM19, saving my Home Folder to an external drive and then copying the contents into the new Home folder, also reinstalling other software, I am really pleased with the result. I have been using Picasa with LM17 for years with very good results,
I would not know how to start using a virtual machine??

EdB, thank you too, As I have said above, although the Picasa window opens, it is inactive, I cannot do anything at all?
Faust

Post by Faust »

slinger1953 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:17 am I would not know how to start using a virtual machine??
I was just reading the replies and that very thing came to mind .

It may look daunting if you have never done it before ( as with many things ) but it is remarkably easy .

Install Virtualbox , click on "New" then mostly go with the default options offered .
Make sure you have the Mint17 iso to hand and then click on " Start" .
Browse to the location of the Mint17 iso and you will be up and running in minutes !

Once you've tried virtual machines a few times it becomes quite addictive .
Note :- having plenty of RAM makes things run much more smoothly ( 4GB is OK , but 8 or more is ideal ) .

It's a useful workaround for a lot of folks in your situation , and it avoids having to dedicate hardware to an old OS .
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Thank you Faust, I will have a look at this tomorrow (or tonight), and respond.
Thanks again

Aaaah! I have just thought, I originally installed Picasa when it was available to download online, which cannot be done now, apart from "Chip" as I have just been advised about. however I will install VM and give it a try....
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Picasa Version 3.0.0 (Build 57.4402,0) for Linux is, I think, the last version and it works here on LM 18.3. Google it or PM if you want the 64bit deb.

[Edit] Oops - sorry! Just noticed the bit about upgrading to LM19! Anyhow, I can also confirm Picasa39 works in Wine with LM19 Cinnamon. Again, google it or PM if you can't find the exe installer.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi slinger1953, and anyone else regarding Picasa,

If you read the link from Google on Picasa that I provided before, you will see this is a defunct, no longer updated or maintained, application and has been this way for years now regardless of any computer operating system (MS Windows, Mac, or Linux) AFAIK.

Moving on from Picasa
https://picasa.google.com/

I would highly recommend that you make the effort to find an application or applications to install and use instead of Picasa and they are available for Linux and other OS's without installing Virtualbox or Wine, etc... Try some similar applications and if need be, shows others how to use them, or ask here. At one time, people had to learn Picasa and it is the same with any software or operating system, but once you have learned it, it becomes easier to use.

Picasa Is Going Away (GONE): 11 Apps That You Can Use Instead
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/picasa-go ... e-instead/

5 Best Linux Photo Management Software In 2018 | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/linux-photo-management-software/

8 Picasa Alternatives Made for Linux
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-picasa- ... ade-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

slinger1953 wrote:
however I will install VM and give it a try....
There's also the option of dual booting between Mint 19 and Mint 17.
slinger1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by slinger1953 »

Well, I don’t remember exactly what I did, but Picasa is now up and running almost perfectly on my LM19.
I thought perhaps it was Wine that was causing some of the problem, so I uninstalled what I thought were the files, by using the Package Manager.
then I hopefully cleaned my system with :- sudo chmod +x mintcleaner.sh

I then found what version of Wine I needed for my setup here:- https://www.tecmint.com/install-wine-on ... inux-mint/

I had already installed my copy of Picasa from LM17.

After installing the correct version of Wine, I found that the Wine application Icon in applications showed Picasa Photo Viewer which I had installed earlier, Picasa 3 and Uninstall.

I tried to add it my desktop but could only open it from Applications., I have created a trial collage, added text, resized and printed, it’s fine so I’m relatively happy with the result.

I’m going to keep all of the suggested apps options for the time being, but thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions.

So….Picasa will run on Linux Mint 19 Tara as long as you already have the .exe file.
Mind you, I did download that from https://www.chip.de/downloads/Picasa_13013772.html, but I had a problem doing that.

Thank you all again.
freerk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Picasa substitute Solved

Post by freerk »

Return to “Software & Applications”