software rendering

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crowbar
Level 1
Level 1

software rendering

Post by crowbar »

Cinnamon is the most advanced GUI I have used.
Still, there is two things I do not understand:

1. Why Cinnamon still has the " Running in software rendering mode" problem ? I found the first comments about this from from before 2013. The other versions of Mint work with no problems. Why not copy a piece of code from there ?

2. Why is there no possibility to add the scroll arrows ? It is hard to slide through a large list without them. With a touchscreen it is hell. I know there is an option for this in a config file, but it does not work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: software rendering

Post by xenopeek »

Software rendering usually means the driver for your graphics card doesn't support hardware accelerated rendering. The CPU can also do the rendering but it is less efficient (obviously) at it than the GPU. MATE and Xfce don't use the GPU by default for their graphics while Cinnamon does. Hence the difference between versions you noticed. Software rendering isn't bad it will just be a bit slower (as the CPU will have to handle graphics tasks as well besides all else it does, instead of that being offloaded to the GPU).

You'll see this message for example when running Cinnamon on a virtual machine. Possibly also on older AMD graphics cards or Nvidia graphics cards before switching to the proprietary graphics driver.

If you want help from others to solve this issue, share the output of the command inxi -Frxz run from the terminal.
crowbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crowbar »

Thank you.
I have four different eeePC computers which give the message.
In my Acer laptop Cinnamon is great !
I already installed MATE to the eeePC's to get rid of the message. Didn't know that the other versions don't use GPU.
Now the eeePCs feel faster with Mate, than with Cinnamon, but there might be other reasons.

So far I have not found a solution to the other nuisance, missing arrowheads in scroll bars.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

crowbar wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 amfour different eeePC computers which give the message.
There's too many netbooks that go by the "eeePC" name to tell anything from that. As I said;
xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 pm If you want help from others to solve this issue, share the output of the command inxi -Frxz run from the terminal.
As for scrollbars, that's particular to the theme you're using. Other themes might have scrollbar arrows. Install some other themes to experiment. You could also try editing the theme. See this post and the post immediately after it for the changes you'd need to make for Gtk2 and Gtk3: viewtopic.php?t=222496#p1176194. Obviously replace the directory and filenames with the one for your theme.

A right-click or shift left-click will scroll by one page when clicking anywhere on the scrollbar (above or below the slider). If you can emulate that somehow with a touchscreen?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

crowbar wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 am
I have four different eeePC computers which give the message..
eeePCs were crap when new and haven't improved over time. I should know, I have a similar netbook. Trying to run Cinnamon on old hardware which was weak when new is frankly ridiculous. It's designed for modern hardware.

If you run inxi -G in the terminal on any of those eeePCs do you see the word llvmpipe anywhere? POst the text results of that here. You likely have no 3D video acceleration on them at all.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”