[SOLVED] Debian or Ubuntu - Which version of wine is best for Mint Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackerbes

[SOLVED] Debian or Ubuntu - Which version of wine is best for Mint Linux?

Post by jackerbes »

I am running Mint 19 64=bit Cinnamon on a Toshiba Satellite L675D that has a dual core AMD processor. I do not have wine installed yet and have looked at it on the WineHQ wiki pages.

The Wine download page here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Lists two apparent candidates and I wonder if there is a clearly superior choice as far as using Ubuntu or Debian versions when installing to Mint Cinnimon. These two are the ones I am going to choose from:

Ubuntu - WineHQ binary packages for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 17.10, and 18.04 - https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Debian - WineHQ binary packages for Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, and Sid - https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian

Is there a clear "better choice" in a case like this?

And if there is a better place for info on installing and using Wine with Mint any suggestions are welcomed.

Jack
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Debian or Ubuntu - Which version of wine is best for Mint Linux?

Post by gm10 »

Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, so whenever given the choice, choose that.
jackerbes

Post by jackerbes »

Thanks for the quick reply. And there is a strong logic in what you say for sure! I don't think I ever recall reading that before and, for some reason, had gotten a vague impression as I eased into becoming a linux user (back around V 16) that the Debian versions were the best choice.

But now I know!

Jack
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mint bases on Ubuntu, which in turn bases on Debian, so if you cannot get a package for Ubuntu then Debian (Buster) would be the next best choice. While packages for Ubuntu 18.04 should install flawlessly, packages for Debian might create issues.
jackerbes

Post by jackerbes »

OK, that explains how I got the impression that Debian was involved I guess. I'm sure if I had studied the history of Mint I would have known more.

I'm very happy with having changed from Windows to Linux about two years ago. I still can dual boot to windows (7 Home Premium now) but only use it a couple of times a month at the most.

Wine has been great for me, I only use it for a few utilities and they all run well under wine.

As near as I can tell Microsoft and Windows are threatening their existence with gratuitous changes and simplifications. I would love to see all the public school systems change to Linux based machines and help the youngsters get smarter about computers and less addicted to the use of Windows machines.

I'll mark this solved and say thanks again!

Jack

Return to “Software & Applications”