Gloria - Desktop effects [kinda solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Gloria - Desktop effects [kinda solved]

Post by Kaye »

Hey everyone,

Just installed Gloria main today. I'm trying to enable Desktop effects, but when I try to (in the Appearance menu), it simply shows me a dialog that says "Desktop effects could not be enabled."

Edit: Also, where can I find the equivalent of Felicia's Configuration Editor in Gloria?

Any help?

Thanks,
Kaye
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gloria - Desktop effects

Post by gibbs1984 »

Have you installed your graphics drivers, I think that message normally comes up when they haven't been installed, it does in my VirtualBox Mint 7 where I haven't installed them.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Control Center > Hardware Drivers
Make sure that you have the proper graphics drivers enabled. What are the specs on your system?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

That would be the problem. I'm currently showing no graphics drivers. I have a Intel X3100. I've checked and /etc/X11 exists so I don't know why the driver isn't showing up (no drivers appear in the hardware drivers menu). How can I fix this?

Edit: On a similar note, I'm having a small problem with my audio. I had to switch to OSS (which I expected), however, although sound works on YouTube and Limewire, other apps such as Rhythmbox and Banshee are not playing my tracks. Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks,
Kaye
icefire

Post by icefire »

I am having the same problem as Kaye. No desktop effects and no drivers detected. Everything worked in Mint 6 ... what happened? How can this be fixed? :? :?: ....Thanks :?: icefire
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

So I'm still having the Compiz problems. Thought I'd give an update on the audio issue. I managed to get Audacious working, but I would really like to use Banshee or Rhythmbox and I still can't get either of them to work. I expect it's a problem with codecs or the programs not recognizing OSS.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Hi Kaye!

What Intel graphics chip does your system use? If you open a terminal and type lspci (lower-case L, not a 1 :mrgreen: ) then look for "graphics controller", then you'll know for sure what you've got. That's important because there is a step in this workaround that is done differently for certain chipsets.

I used the fix Exploder found, in this thread here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p154132 I also applied his Flash fix.

My problem was sluggish Compiz, as opposed to no Compiz, but I had success with the workaround, following the Safe method. Back up everything, make backup copies of the config files and put them somewhere safe, just in case, then roll up your sleeves and go for it! You can copy-paste the long command strings into the terminal. Reboot when you're done and see if it works.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Hello Katzedecimal, nice to hear from you again :)

Unfortunately, however, my problem persists. If I try to enable effects the error "Desktop effects could not be enabled" still shows up, and I'm still not registering any drivers in the Hardware Drivers menu :(
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

No one has any ideas?
Kaye

Re: Gloria - Desktop effects [kinda solved]

Post by Kaye »

Ok so I dug a little deeper. Turns out the Intel x3000 and x3100 are blacklisted due to a bug that hasn't been fixed yet, and compiz should work once they're whitelisted. I found a workaround here: http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/04/ubu ... ivers.html, but I don't think I'm going to do it because of the stability issues. Hopefully that helps anyone with a similar problem to me.

-Kaye
icefire

Post by icefire »

Hey Kate

Thanks for the information. I too suffer from the same problem. Read the blog and played with it for a bit but no luck....so, I too will wait for the fix. How will we know when the fix has been made? Thanks for help and persistence.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I assume the bugfix would be included in the software updates.. I may be mistaken though. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could confirm that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”