SOLVED - Linux Mint 19 UEFI issue and boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Linux Mint 19 UEFI issue and boot problem

Post by special_20 »

Hi everyone,

Since yesterday afternoon I have a problem to boot my laptop. This is a Lenovo Ideapad bought on http://www.linux-shop.fr (french website) with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon installed on it. When I boot I have the 3 following options :
1. Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
2. Advanced options for Linux Mint 19 CInnamon
3. System setup

If I choose the first option then I get the following problem : "Problem loading UEFI : db X.509 certificate (-65)", see the following picture :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/42/984l.jpg

I found on some forums that people overcame this issue by disabling "Secure boot" option in the "System setup" section. I tried but it did not get any better.

I also tried "Advanced options for Linux Mint 19 CInnamon" where I can boot previous versions of Linux using "recovery mode" or not but what ever version I choose I always get the following error : "Failure : File system check of the root filesystem failed", see the following picture :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/42/a8ty.jpg

I searched different forums for a solution but I did not find something helping me. So what I plan to do now is to boot with a USB stick with linux on it and apply the "boot repair" tool. Do you think this can be a good idea ? Do you have any other ideas ?

It is worth noting that this problem appeared without doing something special, I mean I was not trying to install Windows in dual boot or installing a new ssd hard drive. I just wanted to reboot my laptop because I had a problem with Firefox and then when rebooting this problem appeared...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Linux Mint 19 UEFI issue and boot problem

Post by michael louwe »

@ special_20, .......
special_20 wrote:.
Which Lenovo Ideapad are you using.?

Seems, the French Linux-Shop has pre-installed LM 19 Cinnamon in Raid disk mode using the btrfs file system which is not mainstream and is now borked. Normal install is non-Raid and ext4 file system.

By default, in LM 19, Linux kernel and all 4 Levels of updates are applied when "Install updates" at Update Manager is clicked. Maybe, this default setting was what borked your laptop, eg a kernel update/upgrade. LM 19 users are expected to be experienced enough to use the built-in Timeshift program to recover from any buggy update.
....... Try recovering with Timeshift if you have snapshots or System Restore points = boot the Live LM 19 USB/DVD and launch Timeshift. If all else fail, reinstall LM 19.
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...besides Secure Boot, try disabling TPM in your UEFI's settings.
michael louwe wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 am Seems, the French Linux-Shop has pre-installed LM 19 Cinnamon in Raid disk mode using the btrfs file system which is not mainstream and is now borked.
...wrong - his filesystem is ext4. But that's besides the point at the moment at least.
Last edited by thx-1138 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

In advanced mode in grub you can select your previous kernel to boot. Choose it and see if you can boot successfully.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
gm10

Post by gm10 »

special_20 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:18 am I also tried "Advanced options for Linux Mint 19 CInnamon" where I can boot previous versions of Linux using "recovery mode" or not but what ever version I choose I always get the following error : "Failure : File system check of the root filesystem failed", see the following picture :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/42/a8ty.jpg
So basically you either didn't shut the system down cleanly or the disk is failing, and now your filesystem is corrupt. So do as it tells you to, run fsck manually at the initramfs prompt:

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda2
While you're at it also check your EFI partition:

fsck /dev/sda1 
The UEFI boot issue might go away after that. Otherwise boot to your UEFI and reset the UEFI key store/management/whatever it's called.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 am Which Lenovo Ideapad are you using.?
Sorry I forgot to mention the number, this is ideapad 320.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 am So basically you either didn't shut the system down cleanly or the disk is failing, and now your filesystem is corrupt. So do as it tells you to, run fsck manually at the initramfs prompt:

fsck /dev/sda2
While you're at it also check your EFI partition:

fsck /dev/sda1 
The UEFI boot issue might go away after that. Otherwise boot to your UEFI and reset the UEFI key store/management/whatever it's called.
I tried to use these commands at the initramfs prompt. At the beginning of the display I choose the 'yes for all' option, there were informations displayed and then now it looks like it entered an infinite loop displaying y, see picture :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/42/kqt6.jpg

Do you know if this can be long ? Do I just have to wait ?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Never seen that before. Try running it with the -y parameter to automatically confirm all questions:

fsck -y /dev/sda2
Do you have a picture of the errors it was trying to correct? Might be your disk is really failing to a point where no amount of fsck will save it (e.g. you dropped your laptop and the disks read/write head crashed onto the platters, damaging their surface).
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...the very first errors in your very first picture are TPM related. Start with that, tell us how it goes.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

special_20 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:20 am I tried to use these commands at the initramfs prompt. At the beginning of the display I choose the 'yes for all' option, there were informations displayed and then now it looks like it entered an infinite loop displaying y, see picture :

https://zupimages.net/up/18/42/kqt6.jpg

Do you know if this can be long ? Do I just have to wait ?
After my last message, when I was stuck in this "infinite y loop", the laptop finally switched off because it ran out of battery... Then I restarted and the laptop did boot normally. It looks like every thing works fine and that I did not loose any data. I suppose that this "infinite y" displaying was some kind of displaying bug and that the "fsck /dev/sda1" and "fsck /dev/sda2" did their job.

Just to be sure to clearly understand what happened : there were some corrupted sectors on my hard drive that were preventing my laptop from booting normally, this is it ?

Anyway I have to thank you all for your reactivity, suggestions and answers, I really do appreciate ;)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Good news that it wasn't anything more serious then. You should still check the SMART data by going Mint menu > Disks and then from the hamburger menu (the 3 horizontal lines) at the top select SMART Data & Self Tests and check that everything is ok.
special_20 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 am Just to be sure to clearly understand what happened : there were some corrupted sectors on my hard drive that were preventing my laptop from booting normally, this is it ?
Yes, exactly. Small errors can be recovered from during the normal boot operation but more severe issues as in your case require a manual fix. Pay attention not to let your laptop run out of battery while you are using it and do not otherwise shut it down irregularly (in particular don't hold down the power button to shut it off), for this is what can cause these issues.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am Good news that it wasn't anything more serious then. You should still check the SMART data by going Mint menu > Disks and then from the hamburger menu (the 3 horizontal lines) at the top select SMART Data & Self Tests and check that everything is ok.
Ok, thanks for this last recommendation, in the assessment column, every value is set to OK !

Return to “Installation & Boot”