18.3 upgrade to 19 failed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

18.3 upgrade to 19 failed

Post by catch22 »

Trying to upgrade Mint 18.3 (Cinnamon 64bit) to Mint 19, but the upgrade process is halted after a while, showing this error:

Code: Select all

Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
	LANGUAGE = "en_US",
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LC_MONETARY = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_ADDRESS = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_TELEPHONE = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_NAME = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_MEASUREMENT = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_IDENTIFICATION = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_NUMERIC = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LC_PAPER = "de_BE.UTF-8",
	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

------------------------------------------------
!!  ERROR: Failed to upgrade some of the packages. Please review the error message, use APT to fix the situation and try again.
!!  Exiting.
Fingers crossed that it can be fixed :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 18.3 upgrade to 19 failed

Post by deepakdeshp »

I hope you have the backup.
I guess it offers a dry run as an option?Was it successful?
And anyway it is advised to do a clean install for upgrade from 18 to 19.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Obviously in mintupgrade has a bug, which causes a fail if locale is not en_something. You could try to set en_US.UTF-8 locale as default and try again. Via Terminal command

sudo nano /etc/default/locale
... edit, save (Ctrl 0 and Ctrl x) and reboot.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm I hope you have the backup.
I guess it offers a dry run as an option?Was it successful?
And anyway it is advised to do a clean install for upgrade from 18 to 19.
The dry run showed no expectancy of problems, so I went for it.
I have a backup of my data, and for the first time tried out Timeshift.
If need be I will do a clean install of Mint19, but would rather not have to spend so much time on configuring the system to my liking again, because it is so time consuming.
Unfortunately I haven't got any "play" time these days to tinker much on the computer :|
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

catch22 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm Unfortunately I haven't got any "play" time these days to tinker much on the computer :|
Just couple of checks: Is there enough room for upgrade?

df / /home
Is Timeshift running during an upgrade?

(ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep timeshift >/dev/null && echo ”running” || echo ”not running”)
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 pm Just couple of checks: Is there enough room for upgrade?

df / /home
Is Timeshift running during an upgrade?

(ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep timeshift >/dev/null && echo ”running” || echo ”not running”)
The terminal refuses to come alive, so I'll have to use Timeshift again to revert completely to the original 18.3 - time to seriously consider a clean install or for now leave 18.3 as is, I guess..
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, administrollaattori. Hello, Catch22.
administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pmObviously in mintupgrade has a bug, which causes a fail if locale is not en_something. You could try to set en_US.UTF-8 locale as default and try again.
Cannot confirm so. During its whole life, my system has been set to de_DE.UTF-8. This has not caused any trouble while running mintupgrade upgrade from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19.

And, there is no hint that perl dropping back to LC_ALL=C is the issue at all.

The real problem, Catch22, is what follows. Sadly you have only posted the starting lines, not the whole error messages.

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

!!  ERROR: Failed to upgrade some of the packages. Please review the error message, use APT to fix the situation and try again.
!!  Exiting.
This is the third or fourth time, my own in-place upgrade included, that I read this error message, which makes "mintupgrade upgrade" abort.

The relevant part of error message can be found in this post, here, and all of the error messages till "mintupgrade upgrade" aborted in the attached file Zotac_Mint18.3_to_Mint19_upgrade1.zip. (You do not have to read the whole session logfile, just go down to line 10,914 and read from there to the end.)

In order to find out which software packages stopped "mintupgrade" you have to read allthe messages, not just the first few lines.
You have to fix the root cause, which succeeded in my case.
Then you can relaunch mintupgrade upgrade; and it will complete. At least it did in my case.

In case identifying the root cause and solving it exceeds your current Linux knowledge and skill (no offense meant, we all started green once upon a time, only some of us tend to forget), then indeed you may be better off falling back to a clean installation of Mint 19.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

karlchen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm Hello, administrollaattori. Hello, Catch22.
administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pmObviously in mintupgrade has a bug, which causes a fail if locale is not en_something. You could try to set en_US.UTF-8 locale as default and try again.
Cannot confirm so. During its whole life, my system has been set to de_DE.UTF-8. This has not caused any trouble while running mintupgrade upgrade from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19.
I got the same error (perl: warning: Setting locale failed) than catch22. My locale was fi_FI.UTF-8. I noticed that Timeshift was running, so I killed its process (sudo killall timeshift). I also noticed that there was only 1,6 GB space left in / partition. Anyway I tried to fix the issue running command sudo dpkg --configure -a which got the update process going again.

My fault was that I was not removed huge amount of Kernels before an upgrade, so that configure -a seemed to last forever, so I aborted the process and made a simple noob solution as fresh installation which took about ten minutes. :oops:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

administrollaattori wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:37 am
karlchen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm Hello, administrollaattori. Hello, Catch22.
I got the same error (perl: warning: Setting locale failed) than catch22. My locale was fi_FI.UTF-8. I noticed that Timeshift was running, so I killed its process (sudo killall timeshift). I also noticed that there was only 1,6 GB space left in / partition. Anyway I tried to fix the issue running command sudo dpkg --configure -a which got the update process going again.

My fault was that I was not removed huge amount of Kernels before an upgrade, so that configure -a seemed to last forever, so I aborted the process and made a simple noob solution as fresh installation which took about ten minutes. :oops:
But what about the customizations and installing the extra applications apart from LM medium? That would have taken quite some time.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:26 pm But what about the customizations and installing the extra applications apart from LM medium? That would have taken quite some time.
Those things does not take so long time. :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”