Well I give up

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
photonfanatic

Well I give up

Post by photonfanatic »

I'm not sure if there is any point to making this thread, other than I think everyone should talk about their experiences, so that the main issues that tend to bug everyone, get out into the public consciousness and may someday be fixed. These are just my experiences. That out of the way, be warned I'm not the type to sugar coat stuff so if you've got sensitive little Linux ears, you may not want to read further. I formatted my Mint SSD today, I'm gonna try Zorin. If that doesn't work out, I may end up trying something based on slackware or red hat. I'm seeking the distro that has the most polish. So in terms of polish for the desktop environment, yeah I want it to be just like Windows. Microsoft has poured hundreds of millions into their desktop environments, and it shows. I know you can't complain because Linux distros are generally free, but that doesn't make it any easier to give up the addiction when you've had a taste of the good stuff. There are a ton of little reasons I say this, and I doubt they'll ever be addressed because I tried 5, and 10 years ago and things were the same. So if it was going to get better, it would have by now.

But I am going to keep trying, to keep seeking that perfect linux distro for me. Its just that mint isn't it. I had issues with the 1440p monitor (going through all the settings that are scattered to the wind) and issues with getting everything to look the way I wanted. And to be completely honest I hate the look. I changed it a lot and it... still just looks like something from 2005. I need that modern look and feel. I've determined that I just can't be without it, so I have to seek it elsewhere. I'm a very visual person (probably more than most) and it has to be right. Suffice to say I probably could have adopted Mint Cinnamon 19 back in the Windows xp days. Or the early mac osx days. That era.

So thanks to all for the help, it is much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Well I give up

Post by MrEen »

As this thread isn't a request for support, it really should have been posted in the Chat section.

I will say though that I have been stunned by some of the users desktops in this thread.

I think you can probably still accomplish that which you seek. It just depends how much effort you want to put into it.
Last edited by Pierre on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It Is Now in Chat ..
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

If you're looking at Zorin OS, might I suggest you give Elementary OS a try? That has a nice polish UI. Might I ask which Slackware derivative has a polished UI? Before moving to Mint a few months ago, I ran Slackware for about 10 years and it's not polished unless you spend the time to make it that way.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm I'm not sure if there is any point to making this thread, other than I think everyone should talk about their experiences, so that the main issues that tend to bug everyone, get out into the public consciousness and may someday be fixed. These are just my experiences. That out of the way, be warned I'm not the type to sugar coat stuff so if you've got sensitive little Linux ears, you may not want to read further. I formatted my Mint SSD today, I'm gonna try Zorin. If that doesn't work out, I may end up trying something based on slackware or red hat. I'm seeking the distro that has the most polish. So in terms of polish for the desktop environment, yeah I want it to be just like Windows. Microsoft has poured hundreds of millions into their desktop environments, and it shows. I know you can't complain because Linux distros are generally free, but that doesn't make it any easier to give up the addiction when you've had a taste of the good stuff. There are a ton of little reasons I say this, and I doubt they'll ever be addressed because I tried 5, and 10 years ago and things were the same. So if it was going to get better, it would have by now.

But I am going to keep trying, to keep seeking that perfect linux distro for me. Its just that mint isn't it. I had issues with the 1440p monitor (going through all the settings that are scattered to the wind) and issues with getting everything to look the way I wanted. And to be completely honest I hate the look. I changed it a lot and it... still just looks like something from 2005. I need that modern look and feel. I've determined that I just can't be without it, so I have to seek it elsewhere. I'm a very visual person (probably more than most) and it has to be right. Suffice to say I probably could have adopted Mint Cinnamon 19 back in the Windows xp days. Or the early mac osx days. That era.

So thanks to all for the help, it is much appreciated.
You do realize that Mint is NOT Cinnamon, right? There are a bunch of DEs available; some are geared more for efficiency, some for looks. To be honest, I don't think you're going to find a Linux DE as "polished" as Windows. With a stranglehold on driver development, Windows can push a GPU to its limits; much more difficult in Linux. I wish you luck in your quest.

A couple of quick notes: "...sensitive little Linux ears"??? Come on, now - was that really necessary? And "..adopted CInnamon in the Windows XP days"??? It's hard to take anyone seriously when they make statements like that. By now you should have figured out that the Linux platform's main focus is stability; everything else is secondary. If that's not for you, then so be it. You're not the only one I've encountered that feels as you do
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

another fairly polished system to try out is MX Linux:
https://mxlinux.org/
and which usually comes Highly Recommended,, by some Folks.
:)
- - you shouldn't need to go back to that Windows System, or any incantation of it, in fact,
as there will be an Linux System that is Just Right for You.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't get it... whenever I have to handle Windows it feels ugly to me. Not specifically 'polished' at all. I guess it's mostly a matter of what you're used to! I do hope the OP will manage to find an OS (and DE... polish is mostly in the DE after all) that hits the spot.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 am I don't get it... whenever I have to handle Windows it feels ugly to me.
To me, Windwoes 10 is just far too glary.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Begs the question, If Windows is so "polished" why are you looking at Linux, any derivative? Sorry, I will disagree, that Linux is not as polished as Windwoes. It is waaaaay more stable, doens't require the high maintenance of Windows and, with a bit (a little bit, mind you) of effort, can positively gleam. If you like a polished (rude word that rhymes with heard), stick with the M$ product. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 am (rude word that rhymes with heard)
BIRD!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

:D
catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 am
BIRD!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 am
BIRD!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
photonfanatic

Post by photonfanatic »

[/quote]
lsemmens wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 am Begs the question, If Windows is so "polished" why are you looking at Linux, any derivative? Sorry, I will disagree, that Linux is not as polished as Windwoes. It is waaaaay more stable, doens't require the high maintenance of Windows and, with a bit (a little bit, mind you) of effort, can positively gleam. If you like a polished (rude word that rhymes with heard), stick with the M$ product. :D
Doesn't seem like you can multi quote on this forum, so I'll just quote one person and try to address several different posts. Its not waaaay more stable, its not even way more stable. Mint crashed on me 4 times in roughly 1 week. Total crash during various activities, had to restart the computer. Once the screen just went black and it would do nothing. Another time i was listening to a youtube video (music) as I used libre office, and the sound just got stuck on one note or something and kept repeating itself. Then the computer just stopped responding to anything. Had to hold down the power button. Another time it went into something called "Fallback mode" or something. But no icons worked. I could click and click and they just didn't work. The last time I don't know what happened, I was actually typing on this forum and the computer just restarted. No updates were going... nothing. It just restarted out of the blue. I have no idea why. I don't care what might have happened, or what any cause was, or why you think I should cut it a break in this one instance.

Windows 7 crashed on me a few times though it wasn't some kind of a problem that gave me grief. Windows 10 hasn't crashed on me once in the 3 years I've been using it. Not once. I've had applications crash here and there, yes. But not the OS itself, I just got back to the desktop and reloaded it. Some linux users who haven't used windows in years seem to think windows is as crash happy as it was in, i dunno the mid 90s or something. Times change. Hell xp didn't even crash much, for me. But even those 4 linux crashes were not a big deal to me. In my long experience, the longer an os runs and the more time it has to "get used" to the computer, the less it crashes. Who knows. I figured it was just mint settling in, and that it would stop eventually and I wasn't worried about it.

As I said, the disclaimer in the op was for the people who seem to get hurt feelings. I only reported my experience and personal wants/needs, nothing more. I don't really feel one way or the other, to me an OS is an OS as long is it does what I want. I really don't care who makes it. I have only one reason for wanting to make the switch: Security. That's it. If it wasn't for that issue, I never would because there would be no real reason to. But, since microsoft unfortunately adopts the attitude that they care only about their wallet and very little about making their customers happy, well they've driven me away. And as such, I will seek a linux distro until I finally land upon one that meets my standards. Microsoft has chosen... well no security as far as I'm concerned. Oh they may not want other people who don't pay them to have access to your data, and they may take steps to prevent that. But barring that yeah there isn't much security. Your data is theirs, essentially. You don't own the OS, you rent it from them. All of this is inherently quite insecure. So I've got no choice but to switch. Far as I'm concerned mac os doesn't exist and neither does apple. I want to be able to look at microsoft that way but it looks like its going to be another 10 or 20 years before that happens.

I like to play the occasional cutting edge video game, (on all max settings) and thus I'm not going to be able to abandon windows completely unless it happens to be for Vulkan. Even then I'd have to build yet another expensive gaming rig, and linux is often behind times when it comes to cutting edge hardware. So its windows on the high end gaming rig, and linux on the every day workhorse rig.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 am Doesn't seem like you can multi quote on this forum, so I'll just quote one person and try to address several different posts. Its not waaaay more stable, its not even way more stable. Mint crashed on me 4 times in roughly 1 week.
Your only posts asking for help were related to the size of icons. There's been a few posts like yours lately; Complain about Mint crashing or not working properly yet never once asking for help in sorting it out. You have only yourself to rage at and you cannot project your failure onto the volunteers in this forum.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 am Doesn't seem like you can multi quote on this forum
You can. Seems like you jumped to conclusions, instead of asking. (I think I see a pattern here.)
This is how:
- Start a new reply
- Scroll down to the post you want to reply to
- Select the precise part you want to quote
- Click the handy quote button next to that post
- Select and quote from other posts to your heart's desire.

To illustrate, here's a quote from your first post in this topic:
photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm So thanks to all for the help, it is much appreciated.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I don't know why some people like to make such a song and dance about them leaving Linux Mint. Attention deficit? :mrgreen:
Choose what you like best, and happy trails, mate.

Anyway, desktop Linux (first Ubuntu, then Xubuntu, then Linux Mint) has been running extremely stable on my machines for well over a decade. As reliable as a ship's diesel engine. The thing just keeps chugging along nicely, no matter what I throw at it. In all those years, the instability hiccups can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

As far as looks are concerned: I don't care much for bells and whistles. For the sake of speed, I even disable most of the ones that are "on" by default.

I think Mint currently combines the best that desktop Linux has to offer. It looks nice enough, is easy to use, provides a high level of security and reliability, is light on the system resources, has long term support and gives me speedy access to my favourite applications. Which in the end, is all I really care about.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 am I have only one reason for wanting to make the switch: Security. That's it. If it wasn't for that issue, I never would because there would be no real reason to. But, since microsoft unfortunately adopts the attitude that they care only about their wallet and very little about making their customers happy, well they've driven me away. And as such, I will seek a linux distro until I finally land upon one that meets my standards. Microsoft has chosen... well no security as far as I'm concerned. Oh they may not want other people who don't pay them to have access to your data, and they may take steps to prevent that. But barring that yeah there isn't much security. Your data is theirs, essentially. You don't own the OS, you rent it from them. All of this is inherently quite insecure. So I've got no choice but to switch. Far as I'm concerned mac os doesn't exist and neither does apple. I want to be able to look at microsoft that way but it looks like its going to be another 10 or 20 years before that happens.

I like to play the occasional cutting edge video game, (on all max settings) and thus I'm not going to be able to abandon windows completely unless it happens to be for Vulkan. Even then I'd have to build yet another expensive gaming rig, and linux is often behind times when it comes to cutting edge hardware. So its windows on the high end gaming rig, and linux on the every day workhorse rig.
The not-very-user-friendly and fragmented/disunited Linux desktop OS, even though free, has a minuscule about 2% world marketshare since its birth in 1992. Hence, not many OEMs and software/apps/games developers support Linux = not financially viable and/or a waste of resources to do so. Similarly for the dying Win 10 Mobile. Linux did not die but has been able to survive for so many years only because of the "non-profit"/volunteer garage-hobbyist developers, eg Linus Torvald.
....... So, you are stuck with Win 10 and no-privacy/security, unless you give up high-end gaming and cutting-edge hardware. Businesses and professionals(eg movie and music makers) are also stuck with Win 10.

Will Google's new Fuchsia OS be the "Saviour".? Hopefully, Linux desktop or Linus will change to be more appealing to the masses, eg by adopting some kind of anti-forking policy or by adopting Google's or M$'s business model.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

^ ...you too can Join The #ToastArmy - same poem every day...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

so are you complaining about Zorin or Linux Mint?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think the OP needs to try a different DE, as has already been mentioned. Maybe KDE or Trinity?
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Schultz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm I think the OP needs to try a different DE, as has already been mentioned. Maybe KDE or Trinity?
+1

That's why I mentioned earlier that Mint ≠ Cinnamon.

Return to “Open Chat”