PDF reader with form filler feature

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tinfish
Level 1
Level 1

PDF reader with form filler feature

Post by Tinfish »

Hi All,

I am in need of a PDF reader / editor that has a form filler feature. Master PDF Editor looks like a candidate for my situation (Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit). Are there similar options in the Mint repository? If not I could use some guidance installing non repository software (and any dependencies).

The second question is: are the DEB files for Master PDF Editor compatible with my version of Mint?

Other software recommendations would be appreciated ......

Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: PDF reader with form filler feature

Post by xenopeek »

Tinfish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm are the DEB files for Master PDF Editor compatible with my version of Mint?
Probably. Just download the .deb file for Ubuntu and double-click the file in your file manager to launch the installer. If it is not compatible with your Mint version it will show you why.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Tinfish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm Other software recommendations would be appreciated
I like, use and recommend Master PDF Editor. I am not thrilled the free version inserts a watermark, but I cannot hold that against them.

There are rare occasions when I find a stubborn PDF and Master PDF Editor will not give me the results I need. In those cases I fall back to a Win7 virtual machine and use either an Adobe product or Foxit.

There is a Linux version of Foxit, but I do not recommend it. It is missing key features, it has a nasty habit of making Foxit the default reader every time it is run, and the .run installer makes me nervous.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I have Master PDF installed on a test live USB, Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit - was recently able to complete some government forms no problem.

I'm currently running version 4.3.89 downloaded some time ago and installed from a .deb - maybe others will know better but my recollection is that with current version 5+ there began to be some persistent and irritating nagging to upgrade to the commercial version, so I uninstalled and went back to version 4, which does all I want and doesn't nag. It's been a while since I looked at the newer version, so I could be wrong about it.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Not bad for non-personal stuff

https://www.pdfescape.com/
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

You can use Chrome (Chromium). I haven't tried lately, but Chromium used to do the job. To save your work use print to file function. There is also pdfedit and Libreoffice.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum »

If you are just looking to fill in and save/print pdf forms, I thought the default Mint reader (Evince/Xreader) would do that for you. I remember using it to print out my tax forms.
Tinfish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tinfish »

Still working through my choices ( thanks to one and all). I do not want to upset a good OS that is depended upon daily so a test machine is in the works for occasions like this.....
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Just use your browser - Firefox and Chrome/Chromium both have good native pdf support.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I2k4 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 am I have Master PDF installed on a test live USB, Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit - was recently able to complete some government forms no problem.

I'm currently running version 4.3.89 downloaded some time ago and installed from a .deb - maybe others will know better but my recollection is that with current version 5+ there began to be some persistent and irritating nagging to upgrade to the commercial version, so I uninstalled and went back to version 4, which does all I want and doesn't nag. It's been a while since I looked at the newer version, so I could be wrong about it.
Yeah,
version 5 is a PITA
I went back to 4.x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”