Is my system good enough for gaming?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Is my system good enough for gaming?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello
My CPU is AMD a8 quad core processor, 8gb ddr3 memory and 170gb HDD partition. Now 75 gb is occupied. Will steam games work decently?
Thanks for any responses.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is my system good enough for gaming?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know anything about AMD processors of that generation. I guess it depends on which A8 APU you have. Steam games include system requirements for Linux on their page, so check that and compare against your system.

The types of games that probably will work are 2D and older 3D games. Newer (3D) games will probably be too demanding graphics wise.

You can request a refund if a game doesn't play well enough as long as you've bought it no longer than 2 weeks ago and you've not run it for more than 2 hours total (120 minutes).

I have an old Intel i5-2500k and many games play fine on it. It helps that the kind of games that I like (old school type RPGs and action/puzzle platformers) generally work well on older hardware.
OldSchoolTech

Post by OldSchoolTech »

My HP laptop has an A10-5750M with Dual Graphics and it's just as ^ says, even that's only good for older 3D games or 2D titles. The other problem is that the drivers are really outdated and if I use Mint with the Mesa drivers, it seems to only use the APU and not the dedicated GPU. It's becoming a bit of a lost cause :P

I think it's like 8650G/8670M Dual Graphics.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Can docker be used to pack the Windows games instead of running them under Windows as a VM?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

steocullen91 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:16 pm My HP laptop has an A10-5750M with Dual Graphics and it's just as ^ says, even that's only good for older 3D games or 2D titles. The other problem is that the drivers are really outdated and if I use Mint with the Mesa drivers, it seems to only use the APU and not the dedicated GPU. It's becoming a bit of a lost cause :P

I think it's like 8650G/8670M Dual Graphics.
What are the possible free games I can play with my configuration. Your configuration is way better than mine.
Regards,
Deepak

OldSchoolTech

Post by OldSchoolTech »

Well I haven't done extensive testing on my laptop yet and my PC is way better, but for free games it will run Team Fortress 2 and I'm fairly sure it should be able to play Warframe assuming they'll work under Linux. I have to try out some of the games and find out what works since I'm still fairly new to using Linux.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 am A8 isn't a bad CPU.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-review/
Thank you.
The review is 7 years old , things and processors have changed so much during this time.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:50 pm I don't know anything about AMD processors of that generation. I guess it depends on which A8 APU you have. Steam games include system requirements for Linux on their page, so check that and compare against your system.

The types of games that probably will work are 2D and older 3D games. Newer (3D) games will probably be too demanding graphics wise.

You can request a refund if a game doesn't play well enough as long as you've bought it no longer than 2 weeks ago and you've not run it for more than 2 hours total (120 minutes).

I have an old Intel i5-2500k and many games play fine on it. It helps that the kind of games that I like (old school type RPGs and action/puzzle platformers) generally work well on older hardware.
Mine is a8 7410 . I will see if there are any free games in steam. A8 is old 7 to 8 years old
Regards,
Deepak

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

My 7 year old i5-2500k is about 2 to 3 times faster than an A8-7410. Might be likely that the A8 has better graphics performance. Anyway, you'll have to try what works and not but newer titles likely will have trouble.

Here are all the games for Linux on Steam tagged as "free to play": https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... 8&os=linux

You can also use https://libregamewiki.org to find actual free software games for Linux.
OldSchoolTech

Post by OldSchoolTech »

The i5 2500k isn't a bad CPU at all even to this day. I used to have an i7-2600 and to this day that's still pretty amazing and they can be had second hand for about €65 :P
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

steocullen91 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 am The i5 2500k isn't a bad CPU at all even to this day. I used to have an i7-2600 and to this day that's still pretty amazing and they can be had second hand for about €65 :P
Not so in India, even 2nd hand systems are costly.
Regards,
Deepak

OldSchoolTech

Post by OldSchoolTech »

Oh feck, that sucks. I can buy that CPU cheap enough here from a store called CeX and just build a computer provided I could even find a socket 1155 motherboard to put it in.

Aside from that though I think your laptop is close enough to being the same as mine so it should do fine on some of the lighter games.
sammartin8935

Post by sammartin8935 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 pm Hello
My CPU is AMD a8 quad core processor, 8gb ddr3 memory and 170gb HDD partition. Now 75 gb is occupied. Will steam games work decently?
Mint cinnamon should be fine with your specs, for max performance some people might want mate or xfce
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

sammartin8935 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:05 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:22 pm Hello
Mint cinnamon should be fine with your specs, for max performance some people might want mate or xfce
I was wondering about steam games with my specs.
Regards,
Deepak

HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

I was wondering about steam games with my specs.
I am playing X3 Albion Prelude from Egosoft like.. forever.. 1400 hours on the Game, aproaching 1500 :P
Here are my specs:
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.9
Linux Kernel 4.15.0-42 generic
Processor: Intel© Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz × 4
RAM: 3.9 GiB ddr2
SSD: 460.2 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] proprietary driver
Monitor: Asus full HD IPS pannel (works just fine).
chaser301

Post by chaser301 »

I don't think your system is good enough to game. But some games that were released in 2010-2012 might work just fine.
NevyNeverKnowsBest

Post by NevyNeverKnowsBest »

Truth be told, you really won't know until you try. From my experience, even the oldest and weakest systems can still emulate GBA and SNES games fairly well at full speed. However, I am betting you likely want to play the bigger and more modern titles. Granted, keep in mind you're on Linux; you likely won't be getting the same performance as a Windows 10 system, and if you're going through WINE that's an entirely different issue as well.

Try it and see.
MarkTheMorose
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MarkTheMorose »

A bit of a glib answer, but any PC is good enough for gaming, depending on what games you want to play! A PC with a dedicated graphics card and fast CPU is the best route, but personally I have PCs here that have just APUs, where the graphics component is built-in to the CPU. AMDs current Ryzen APUs have good Vega graphics. Their older generation APUs, the Ax line, have reasonable Radeon graphics, but the CPU lacks level 3 cache, which seems to drag gaming performance down.

That said, there is more than one way to game on Linux: there are native games - those coded to run under Linux, and often as simple to install as looking in the Software Manager or Package Manager; then there are old (pre-1995) PC games that run under DOS, and can usually be played fine under DOSbox.

Then there's Wine that can allow some more modern Windows games to play in Linux. There is a Steam client for Linux, and the more recent development of Proton, opening up a wider range of Windows games, though these tend to need better hardware, depending on the games you intend to play.

Lastly, there is emulation. Run games from the classic consoles and home computers! This is good for lower-end hardware, as any PC from the last 10 years should be capable of running an emulator to let it play 8-bit console games NES, Master System, and Gameboy. Even the lowly Raspberry Pi can emulate 16-bit systems like the Amiga, Mega Drive/Genesis and SNES.

My own main PC is currently using an AMD A8-9600 APU, no graphics card, and 8GB of RAM. I have 3 favourite Windows games installed via Wine: Age of Empires, Sniper Elite (Berlin 1945), and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It plays those three faultlessly, and I've no doubt there are plenty of others from the time that will play well. I also run the occasional DOS game with DOSbox, and have emulators for the Commodore 64, Plus/4, and VIC-20 (the VICE emulator), and Atari VCS/2600. Not forgetting, of course, a few simple Linux games like AisleRiot for solitaire, Suduko, and Frozen Bubble.

I just wish I had more time to play!

Return to “Gaming”