Timeshift in Mint 19

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erikjan
Level 2
Level 2

Timeshift in Mint 19

Post by erikjan »

Yesterday I installed Mint XFCE 19, very nice. Before I could install the updates, I got the recommendation to execute Timeshift. During all the fourteen years that I am using Linux I never needed to restore an older version. I reinstalled new versions, but never needed to repair a system. Linux is stable and does not corrupt itself. I fully understand why such a program is needed for Windows: Windows corrupts itself and must be refreshed periodically. Is Linux Mint unstable? Is it unable to keep up its own trousers? If so, one should not use such a distribution!

Second question: I must decide which "snapshot level" to use, but I cannot find what a snapshot level is.

This version is beautiful, but the inclusion of Timeshift makes me doubt whether it is stable enough to use it or not.

Greetings,

Erik Jan.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Timeshift in Mint 19

Post by catweazel »

erikjan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:59 am This version is beautiful, but the inclusion of Timeshift makes me doubt whether it is stable enough to use it or not.
So turn it off. I don't use it and never will.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you don't have to un-install / remove T.S. as such:
- just un-check all of it's options, that are used to customise it's various back-ups.
then, just leave it in place .. ..
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
erikjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by erikjan »

thank you for your answers. I am glad to hear that it is an unneeded program. But I am still curious to lear what a "snapshot Level" is.

Thank you for your speedy answers.

Erik
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

erikjan wrote:.
If you disable Timeshift in LM 19, you should also refer to ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20 - Update Manager: understand and optimize it
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

The inclusion of Timeshift by default in LM19 is a mitigation for any possible problems caused by its more permissive update policy. In earlier versions certain updates were held-back and could be installed at the user's discretion. Now, they are installed unilaterally and providing a means of rolling-back in the event that something goes wrong with an update is a good idea. Linux Mint is targeted at users migrating from Windows and they won't be versed in Linux recovery measures.

Return to “Beginner Questions”