Well I give up

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Well I give up

Post by majpooper »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm I'm not sure if there is any point to making this thread . . . ?
Uhh . . . actually there isn't.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Using advanced search, First post of topic only:

Search found 36529 matches: solved

I think it's just you, dude.
photonfanatic

Post by photonfanatic »

Moem wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 am
photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 am Doesn't seem like you can multi quote on this forum
You can. Seems like you jumped to conclusions, instead of asking. (I think I see a pattern here.)
Ah, so like linux you can make it work if you really want to. But its unlike like the other forums, and not intuitive. (I think I see a pattern here) :mrgreen:

lol j/k, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a complaining fest. I'm liking zorin much better, it seems I should have tried it first. It could still use some work on the themes, and like mint its not quite as snappy as W10, but I think I can learn to live with it.

As for gomer lol he's trolling. Garbage is way too strong a word. It may not be exactly what I like, but I'll learn to live with it for the far superior security. There is a difference that I do notice, but again I will have to run it for about a year and see if the OS does that "settle in" thing that some of them just seem to like to do, before they'll run great.

And I'll be surprised if reactOS is finished 10 years from now. lol
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 pm Ah, so like linux you can make it work if you really want to. But its unlike like the other forums, and not intuitive. (I think I see a pattern here) :mrgreen:
Well, if you've not used something else, then you aren't familiar with other ways, and you might find this quite workable. (I think I see a sense of humor here. Always nice! :mrgreen: )
photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 pm I'm liking zorin much better, it seems I should have tried it first.
Ah but now you know more about what you like and don't like. That's not a bad thing. I'm glad to hear Zorin is working for you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

hehe this thread helps prove there are at least two kinds of user groups

1- Meh, if it just works and nothing blows up I'm happy - Windows
2- If it does not work it's all my fault this type of OS is my great software love and I need to continually re-affirm how superior it is to all the other one's - Linux

Some posts in this thread make it seem like the posters are married to their OS. Linux is the wife, Windows is the evil temptress, Mac (mostly in the form of tablets) is the expensive mistress

(runs and hides)
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm ... the desktop environment, yeah I want it to be just like Windows. ... because Linux distros are generally free, but that doesn't make it any easier to give up the addiction when you've had a taste of the good stuff. ...
If you expect any Linux distro to be just a "free" "Windows", then you will always be disappointed. Maybe, just stay with "the good stuff" then? But I like your optimism in finding a more polished desktop environment by running slackware!
photonfanatic

Post by photonfanatic »

I did say I can't complain because its free. But I was hoping that after all this time, some team had just knocked it out of the park. That happens with stuff from time to time. Not frequently, but it does happen. I just love the windows environment. I even saw a video where someone put it on linux! ROFL
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 pm .... I'm liking zorin much better, it seems I should have tried it first.
That is interesting. Zorin was the first distro I have tried on one of my own laptops (2016) because a certain website recommended it as top replacement for Win7. But Zorin fried something (related to display) in that laptop prompting me to send it back to where I bought it from. When I got it back, I installed Mint 18 MATE on it and it's been working since then.

I may have to try that Zorin again and see what has changed in 2 years. I've got a test machine with the following installed on multiboot:
- Windows 7
- Mint 19 Cinnamon
- Mint 18.3 Xfce
- LMDE 3
- MX 17.1
- Debian 9.5 Stretch

Which of the 5 Linux distros should I kick out to give way for Zorin? :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

its actually really easy. even I can run multiple linux flavours via multiboot and on many different machines, even build an arch..sorta, work in progress. I think you need to just take a reset, get away from any sense of entitlement, and enjoy whats out there. There is so much, the fruit of so many, its FOSS.. On the other hand, there are very serious problems happening at MS. They have a bad dev process and its killing them. I like that they are trying to go to a rolling release thing but their last release caused deletion of data for really stupid reasons. They have no Linus T! Anyway, your rant is ignorant and misplaced. Get some learning and come back
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

OP: What do you think of Manjaro KDE? I'm using it to type this on & find it quite well polished .. although I think Mint Cinnamon is too; they are just different styles of "polish" & it's all down to taste.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

mediclaser wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm
photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 pm .... I'm liking zorin much better, it seems I should have tried it first.
That is interesting. Zorin was the first distro I have tried on one of my own laptops (2016) because a certain website recommended it as top replacement for Win7. But Zorin fried something (related to display) in that laptop prompting me to send it back to where I bought it from. When I got it back, I installed Mint 18 MATE on it and it's been working since then.

I may have to try that Zorin again and see what has changed in 2 years. I've got a test machine with the following installed on multiboot:
- Windows 7
- Mint 19 Cinnamon
- Mint 18.3 Xfce
- LMDE 3
- MX 17.1
- Debian 9.5 Stretch

Which of the 5 Linux distros should I kick out to give way for Zorin? :)
Guess what? I tried it again today after 2 years of avoiding it. Looks like they have fixed the bugs that caused random erratic displays. But I'm glad we have tons of choices for Linux distros, because I don't like the way Zorin won't let me customize its own file manager (to my liking), the panel, and the date/time format showing at the bottom of the screen. I won't mention the other things I don't like because this is not the proper place to complain about them. Anyways, I guess I'll have to give it another 2 years to see if I would like it on the 3rd try. Mean time, I will re-install Mint 19 Cinnamon which I removed temporarily for Zorin. :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
photonfanatic

Post by photonfanatic »

Everybody is constantly installing, reinstalling, formatting, etc. All you ever hear about is people distro hopping and trying out this or that. I know here come the exceptions who've never done it but its pretty common.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm Everybody is constantly installing, reinstalling, formatting, etc. All you ever hear about is people distro hopping and trying out this or that.
Well, no one is going to post just to say 'Still on the same system as last month. All going well. Nothing to report.'

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Still on the same system as last month. All going well. Nothing to report.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What a coincidence! Me, too!

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

TBH distro hopping is just plain exhausting and having to figure out quirks on a new system and constant tweaking is more annoying than "fun".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 am TBH distro hopping is just plain exhausting and having to figure out quirks on a new system and constant tweaking is more annoying than "fun".
I think it comes down to one's idea of fun. I enjoy tinkering with linux OSen and learning new things. I blame my mother for that. One day, in my young, impressionable youth, we were discussing what I wanted to do to earn a living. She put her arm around me and said, "Son, you've got a terrible body, better you should develop your brain." :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm
photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm Everybody is constantly installing, reinstalling, formatting, etc. All you ever hear about is people distro hopping and trying out this or that.
Well, no one is going to post just to say 'Still on the same system as last month. All going well. Nothing to report.'
MrEen wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:04 pm Still on the same system as last month. All going well. Nothing to report.
Moem wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:05 pm What a coincidence! Me, too!
Same! Mysterious!

Maybe we should start a "Nothing to report"-Thread? :mrgreen:
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm Everybody is constantly installing, reinstalling, formatting, etc. All you ever hear about is people distro hopping and trying out this or that. I know here come the exceptions who've never done it but its pretty common.
Get new friends :D
powerchord84

Post by powerchord84 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:13 am
rambo919 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 am TBH distro hopping is just plain exhausting and having to figure out quirks on a new system and constant tweaking is more annoying than "fun".
I think it comes down to one's idea of fun. I enjoy tinkering with linux OSen and learning new things. I blame my mother for that. One day, in my young, impressionable youth, we were discussing what I wanted to do to earn a living. She put her arm around me and said, "Son, you've got a terrible body, better you should develop your brain." :mrgreen:
hah, your mom sounds awesome

Return to “Open Chat”