[SOLVED] Is mokutil preinstalled in mint 19?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Is mokutil preinstalled in mint 19?

Post by overkill22 »

I'd like to know if the package 'mokutil' is installed by default in linux mint 19 or it is an additional package.
I was not able to find it in the list of packages installed by defaul in mint 19 here >>> http://packages.linuxmint.com/index.php

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Is mokutil preinstalled in mint 19?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Looks like it's preinstalled:

Code: Select all

apt search mokutil
i   mokutil                                            - tools for manipulating machine owner keys                   
p   mokutil:i386                                       - tools for manipulating machine owner keys
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 pm Looks like it's preinstalled:

apt search mokutil
i   mokutil                                            - tools for manipulating machine owner keys                   
p   mokutil:i386                                       - tools for manipulating machine owner keys
Thanks. How can I check this if I don't have a fresh installed machine?
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

overkill22 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 pm Looks like it's preinstalled:

apt search mokutil
Thanks. How can I check this if I don't have a fresh installed machine?
Good question. I've never had a need to check Mint's software repos. I guess you could check Ubuntu's - https://packages.ubuntu.com/ (choose bionic for the system name).
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...an easy way is by checking the filesystem.manifest file for the version of your choice...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [SOLVED] Is mokutil preinstalled in mint 19?

Post by smurphos »

It's not a default package in 19. To check what was present at initial install you can review the contents of /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz

This command will extract the contents to your home, parse the file to produce a package list and display that list in your text-editor.

cp /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz ~/ && gunzip ~/initial-status.gz && cat initial-status | grep "Package:" > default-packages.txt && xed default-packages.txt
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Thanks for that, smurphos. I checked its dependencies and none of them looked like something I might have added after the fact.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Interestingly it is in the manifest and is used by the installer - looking back at apt logs it gets purged from the installed OS as part of installation.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:48 am Interestingly it is in the manifest and is used by the installer - looking back at apt logs it gets purged from the installed OS as part of installation.
It took my attention today because I had an update pending for this package and I found it weird.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am It's not a default package in 19. To check what was present at initial install you can review the contents of /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz

This command will extract the contents to your home, parse the file to produce a package list and display that list in your text-editor.

cp /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz ~/ && gunzip ~/initial-status.gz && cat initial-status | grep "Package:" > default-packages.txt && xed default-packages.txt
I don't have that file
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

overkill22 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:57 am I don't have that file
Ever run bleachbit?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think mokutil might be retained and needed on systems with UEFI secure boot.... not sure. It's a dependency of shim mentioned in the linked article. My machine is legacy.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...that's very interesting actually:
i was under the impression that only packages listed in filesystem.manifest-remove get purged after installation?
Or do i have the wrong impression on that? mokutil is not listed in any 19.x filesystem.manifest-remove version... :|
Why that discrepancy? The plot thickens...
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:12 am I think mokutil might be retained and needed on systems with UEFI secure boot.... not sure. It's a dependency of shim mentioned in the linked article. My machine is legacy.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot
Main host (Mint 19 XFCE) w/UEFI (no SecureBoot): mokutil installed
Xubuntu 18.10 VM: no mokutil installed
LMDE3 VM: mokutil installed

Weird, huh?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:55 pm ...that's very interesting actually:
i was under the impression that only packages listed in filesystem.manifest-remove get purged after installation?
Or do i have the wrong impression on that? mokutil is not listed in any 19.x filesystem.manifest-remove version... :|
Why that discrepancy? The plot thickens...
No, the installer handles a few packages directly no matter the manifests. mokutil gets removed for non-EFI systems. Relevant code references:
https://github.com/linuxmint/ubiquity/b ... ll.py#L272
https://github.com/linuxmint/ubiquity/b ... l.py#L1407
smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am This command will extract the contents to your home, parse the file to produce a package list and display that list in your text-editor.

You know I love long scripts but may I suggest:

zgrep mokutil /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz
Or zmore/zless if you just want to browse through it. Makes handling .gz files much easier. ;)
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pmNo, the installer handles a few packages directly no matter the manifests. mokutil gets removed for non-EFI systems. Relevant code references:
https://github.com/linuxmint/ubiquity/b ... ll.py#L272
https://github.com/linuxmint/ubiquity/b ... l.py#L1407
Thank you gm10 :)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Or zmore/zless if you just want to browse through it. Makes handling .gz files much easier. ;)
I was waiting for you to come up with a nice extraction script-let to remove the Package: from the grep output and sort the packages in alphabetical order :wink: That was way beyond my overtired brain this morning.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:55 pm
gm10 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm

I was waiting for you to come up with a nice extraction script-let to remove the Package: from the grep output and sort the packages in alphabetical order :wink: That was way beyond my overtired brain this morning.
In that case how could I resist (you must be very tired, I know you could do this in your sleep - pun intended):

zgrep '^Package:' /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz|sed 's/.* //'|sort
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nice.... :D
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:01 pm

zgrep '^Package:' /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz|sed 's/.* //'|sort
Very nice!

Return to “Software & Applications”