Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 - Settings Desktop No Longer Accesses Backdrops

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 - Settings Desktop No Longer Accesses Backdrops

Post by gregoryshock »

Something got messed up.

Settings Desktop Wallpaper. The correct directory path is /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ But it can't read those files anymore. It appears to me that it lots permissions. How do I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 - Settings Desktop No Longer Accesses Backdrops

Post by MrEen »

Hi gregoryshock

I am also using 18.3 Xfce. For me, that directory only contains links to files within /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-sarah with the exception of linuxmint.png (which is also in /usr/share/backgrounds) Maybe the links are messed up? Try changing the folder to anything under /usr/share/backgrounds and I'll bet it works.

Hope that helps.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am Hi gregoryshock

I am also using 18.3 Xfce. For me, that directory only contains links to files within /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-sarah with the exception of linuxmint.png (which is also in /usr/share/backgrounds) Maybe the links are messed up? Try changing the folder to anything under /usr/share/backgrounds and I'll bet it works.

Hope that helps.
I throw all my wallpapers into the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ and I don't normally have any problems. I think what sorta got this started is I was in the icons as root. I have a program that needed an icon so was installing an icon file in the /usr/share/icons Somehow when it tried to automatically change the wallpaper it changed it to the icon instead. Then I couldn't change the directory back where it should be. Today I got into xfce4 as root and renamed the directory backdrops to backdrops backup. Then I created a new backdrops directory. I copied the link files over from another linux mint 18.3 xfce install that I have in virtualbox, and then went to my wallpaper back up drive and re copied all 3,000 + wallpapers over to the backdrops directory. This seems to have fixed it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, I am glad you're fixed.

But, 3000+ wallpapers? :shock:
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 am Well, I am glad you're fixed.

But, 3000+ wallpapers? :shock:
It's good to have lots if you always want a fresh desktop and not keep seeing the same ones over and over again. There is another program one can use for this but I decided to no longer use it. These are all the ones it collected for me.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Yeah, I get it.

I started playing around a little with wallpapers then realized I almost never see my desktop anyway. I like a lot of what I see in the Desktop Screenshots threads, and even added Conky because of those, but I usually have to switch to an empty workspace just to see it.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm Yeah, I get it.

I started playing around a little with wallpapers then realized I almost never see my desktop anyway. I like a lot of what I see in the Desktop Screenshots threads, and even added Conky because of those, but I usually have to switch to an empty workspace just to see it.
That happens to me too, because normally I have all my programs running full screen. Sometimes I use the Show Desktop Icon. I never us a Conky because it's always covered up. When I want to see the time I just use the clock in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, on the panel. People who can view the desktop at all times must either have a giant monitor, multiple monitors or they have an extra computer doing nothing that they just glance at once in a while. I guess
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

One time I was in this file .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml finding what wallpaper was running. I wasn't editing the file as root or anything like that. But as I was in it , it tried to change wallpapers. Somehow it made a screen shot of that file and put it up as the wallpaper. Then I had to go back into Desktop settings and change everything back to correct directory again.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I only use Conky for monitoring CPU's, RAM, File System stats and a quick check of the weather. I once had an issue that was spamming a log file and filled my partition in minutes (I use 12-14GB out of 37GB,) so this gives me easy access to see that everything is normal.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I use CPU graph, System Load Monitor, and Psensor to do those things. They live on my panel.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gregoryshock wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:53 pm I use CPU graph, System Load Monitor, and Psensor to do those things. They live on my panel.
I would actually prefer that but with my aging eyes, the panel isn't big enough to accomodate. And the one time I tried Psensor either my RAM or CPU usage shot up to rediculous levels.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pmAnd the one time I tried Psensor either my RAM or CPU usage shot up to rediculous levels.
I had clamAV on my Linux Lite System and I noticed the CPU doing stuff when it should be quiet. I don't know what 'changed' because it had been on my system for several weeks, but all of a sudden it just started doing that. I did some searching around with google and ended up just removing it. I haven't had any problems with psensor doing that on any of my linux systems. However the last time I tried psensor on Linux Lite 4.0 XFCE Based on Ubuntu 18.04 the pull of menu wouldn't work. I can't remember what psensor does on Linux Mint 19 XFCE. But it's been working just fine on my 18.3 installs, and it's working just fine on my linux lite 3.8 xfce install.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

To be fair, it may have been my previous desktop last year that I had that issue with Psensor. It was an old XP 32-bit system that I stretched as long as I could. Once the browsers stopped allowing updates on it, that's when I came to Mint. I should probably look into a few apps again that I had tested on that system but tossed now that I have something built in this decade. :)
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

gregoryshock wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 am Something got messed up.
Settings Desktop Wallpaper. The correct directory path is /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ But it can't read those files anymore. It appears to me that it lots permissions. How do I fix this?
Simple,
-Open, by Thunar, the folder "/usr/share/xfce4" as root.
https://i.imgur.com/9SrR4Ve.png

-click, in the backdrops folder, with right-click-> properties.
http://i.imgur.com/jHVYhFU.png

-in "tab " "Permissions ", Put:
Owner = root
Powers = Read and write
recursively apply.

Group = root
Powers = read-only
recursively apply.

Other
Powers = read-only
recursively apply.

Click on the button "close " or "Ok "

Everything will return to the original.

As a common user you can only read the "backdrops " folder but you cannot change anything.
To change something inside the folder, you should open it as root.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:59 am
gregoryshock wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 am Something got messed up.
Simple,
-Open, by Thunar, the folder "/usr/share/xfce4" as root.
https://i.imgur.com/9SrR4Ve.png

-click, in the backdrops folder, with right-click-> properties.
http://i.imgur.com/jHVYhFU.png

-in "tab " "Permissions ", Put:
Owner = root
Powers = Read and write
recursively apply.

Group = root
Powers = read-only
recursively apply.

Other
Powers = read-only
recursively apply.

Click on the button "close " or "Ok "

Everything will return to the original.

As a common user you can only read the "backdrops " folder but you cannot change anything.
To change something inside the folder, you should open it as root.
Yes I know, but when you have 3,000 plus files the computer kinda freezes up, and I did not have time to wait for it do all of that. I have changed permissions successfully in the terminal for that many files. However I keep forgetting the command for it.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

gregoryshock wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 pm .... I have changed permissions successfully in the terminal for that many files. However I keep forgetting the command for it.
Since the years 80 I only use terminal (Command prompt) rarely.
In 2018, at the end of the second decade of the 21st century, I will not be doing this constantly.
A little Letrinha, a wrong little bell and a mess.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm
gregoryshock wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 pm .... I have changed permissions successfully in the terminal for that many files. However I keep forgetting the command for it.
Since the years 80 I only use terminal (Command prompt) rarely.
In 2018, at the end of the second decade of the 21st century, I will not be doing this constantly.
A little Letrinha, a wrong little bell and a mess.
I think in this case I would need to use the terminal. Or do what I did, and start all over.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

I'd have to consult to pass you the correct commands. But I'd have to test them first.
I can't keep commands in memory.
Wait for someone more experienced will help you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”