NEMO - impossible to find a repertory for the first try

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
francky
Level 1
Level 1

NEMO - impossible to find a repertory for the first try

Post by francky »

Hi,

I have linux mint 19.

In my computer there are two hard disks, one for the system and another for the datas. On the desktop, I have created launchers that open folders with NEMO. Those folders are in the datas hard disk and not in the system hard disk.

The launcher uses the folowing command :

Code: Select all

nemo //media/HardDisk/username/home/repertory
My problem is that when I clic on a launcher, NEMO display the following error message :
Impossible to find "//media/....." verify spelling and try again
So then I clic "ok" button and I clic on the hard disk in the Nemo window and Nemo display the contents of my data HD.
Then If I clic again on the launcher, it runs well.

To make short : NEMO is unable to find a folder on my second HD at the first time.

I think that the disk is not mounted by default but I'm not sure and I do not know how to do it !

Please help !

Thank you !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: NEMO - impossible to find a repertory for the first try

Post by all41 »

nemo //media/HardDisk/username/home/repertory
not //media but /media
Look in /media to find the mount point of the data drive

/media/HardDisk/uername/etc seems unusual.
perhaps /media/username/name_of_drive
If you cant determine the mount point post the results of terminal inquiry:

sudo blkid
and:

cat /etc/fstab
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
francky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francky »

Hi !

Thank you for your reply !

So I put out the bar before media and here is the complete way to the file. As you can see there is two usernames because I have installed a system on the data Hard disk. I thought that it can be easier to recover the datas by just starting on an other system.

nemo /media/username1/1ff9f79e-7cb2-40ec-94e2-d2a13278956d/home/username2/saves/folder
But even with that correction, I have the same error !

And here is the result of the "blkid" command (the hard disk with the datas is the first line) :

sudo blkid

/dev/sda1: UUID="1ff9f79e-7cb2-40ec-94e2-d2a13278956d" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000a018f-01"
/dev/sda5: UUID="eef2a402-41b7-4257-a3f2-41bc0f14ce6a" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="000a018f-05"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="c6e3c761-cde2-471a-af4c-06ffdeae19e5" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000d036e-01"
/dev/sdb3: UUID="1F42-A8CD" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="000d036e-03"
/dev/sdb4: UUID="4d294e40-f789-4a54-b128-ae3f3a2b7d88" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000d036e-04"
/dev/sdb5: UUID="b4c61099-bf58-4177-8a47-6dca700fdf80" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000d036e-05"
/dev/sdc1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="USBKEY" UUID="6E46-032C" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdf1: LABEL="KODAK AZ365" UUID="0403-0201" TYPE="vfat"
And here is the result of the "cat" command :

cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=b4c61099-bf58-4177-8a47-6dca700fdf80 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=eef2a402-41b7-4257-a3f2-41bc0f14ce6a none            swap    sw              0       0
Thank you !
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

So then I clic "ok" button and I clic on the hard disk in the Nemo window and Nemo display the contents of my data HD.
Then If I clic again on the launcher, it runs well.

To make short : NEMO is unable to find a folder on my second HD at the first time.

I think that the disk is not mounted by default but I'm not sure and I do not know how to do it !
The reason for this is that partition /dev/sda1 does not have an entry if the /etc/fstab file.
Use the 'Disks' utility in the Menu to mount this partition and select automount, then it will respond to your launchers on first try.

Locate the partition and click the 'gears' icon below, then select 'Edit Mount Options'
francky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francky »

Hello !

I have used Disks to tick the automount but I see that it is already ticked as you can see in the french copy screen !
Capture du 2018-11-05 21-14-31.png
What can I do please ?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The partition is mounted in /mnt and not in /media.
Your launchers should be pointing to that location and not to /media
Still not showing in /etc/fstab though
also have you updated grub?
in a terminal run:

sudo update-grub
Then reboot.
francky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francky »

Hello,

I have changed the way to the folder in the launcher, upgraded the grub and restart the system but I still have the same problem !

And I can say that it's worst than before changing "media" to "mnt" because after having clicking OK to the error message window, I click on the data hard disk and try again with the launcher but it still gives me the same error message while before the launcher was working at the second time.

I do not know if I'am really clear because it is a bit hard to explain so I can detail the steps of the actions and reactions :

1-I start the system LinuxMint 19.
2-I click on the launcher with the command "nemo /mnt/username1/1ff9f79e-7cb2-40ec-94e2-d2a13278956d/home/username2/saves/folder" -> Nemo opens in "/home/username1" and show error message.
3-I click on the data hard disk in Nemo that was opened in the step before. -> Nemo show me files and folders of the data HD.
4-I close Nemo.
5-I click again on the launcher -> the same result as the step 2 while before (when I had "media" in the way of the launcher's command) Nemo was able to open the right folder without error messages.

But I just tried with "media" instead of "mnt" and I also have the error message at second try (step 5) ! so it is not a problem of the way. So I will keep "mnt" in the launcher's command way as you explained to me.

Thank you for your help !!!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

In Nemo, navigate to the folder of choice in the the target drive. Toggle the location entry if necessary (Ctrl-L). Double check your launcher path matches the what is showing in the pathbar.

E.g.

My launcher command is nemo "/mnt/backup_drive/Music/African Head Charge/Off The Beaten Track" or xdg-open "/mnt/backup_drive/Music/African Head Charge/Off The Beaten Track"
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
francky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francky »

Hi !

It's now it works very well at the first time.

The thing I added are the double quotes !

I think I did'nt have wrote it in the commend !

Thank you

Return to “Software & Applications”