no icon captions on desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marin

no icon captions on desktop

Post by marin »

Hi everyone!

i have instaled Mint 6 XFCE CE but as soon as i turn on the compositing in settings manager - WM tweaks, the icon captions on the desktop just disappear!!!

i have installed the Nvidia 96.43.09 driver through the EnvyNG and enabled the compositing in xorg.conf.

i tried the mintDesktop system tweaks but the caption letters just flash for the moment and than disapperar again :(

the text is visible in menus, thunar and everywhere else but desktop!?

please advise...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: no icon captions on desktop

Post by Husse »

Just the captions?
Try to rename the icons - mark them and press F2 - give them a name
Might work
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I wouldn't think this would make much difference, but if you go to settings/desktop settings/behavior and have a look and see if you have some very large or very small font size selected. The safest is just to tick 'Use system Font size'.

That is a very strange error :?
marin

Post by marin »

thanks husse for replying :)

to humor you i tried it.
renaming itself was succsessful :D but their new names icon labels remained invisible...

it seemed as a white text on white background situation. i tried mintDesktop assistant to change the color of the text. on execution of the mint's script the text flashes below icons for the fraction of the second but than it vanishes again!

more - in open office applications there is no text in the menues or toolbars at all while compositing is on.

not having compositing throws off AWN and Cairo-dock and with them the desktop i was acustomed at.

earlier, while installing nvidia driver, the EnvyNG applied some patches to it during installation. i'll try to build the 43.96.11 driver from nvidia site.

@viking777:
under Desktop preferences/behaviour the 'use system font size' is ticked
under User interface preferences font is DejaVu Sans 10 and font DPI is 'sustem default'
viking777

Post by viking777 »

From what I read it is a combination of Xfce, the particular Nvidia driver you are using and font antialiasing. The solution is apparently this:

I edited ``/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" and then added

Code: Select all

<match target="font">
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>
You could always try it but I can't guarantee a thing :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

The reason I suggested renaming is that I found something about making captions invisible that included renaming, so it was a bit of a shot in the dark
marin

Post by marin »

thanks for your effot guys
its hard to solve this.

the addition to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf resulted in stopping of font aliasing. it has the same effect as unticking the font aliasing in User Interface Settings. also, this method of stopping it from the fonts.conf file is 'senior' to User Interface Settings where, then, ticking no longer produce the effect.

also, when i switch aliasing off the font, all letters in the user interface, get smeared regardless of the state of compositting :(

i have found some suggestions on the netabout making the gtk 2.0 file in the user folder i coukd try.
marin

Re: no icon captions on desktop [SOLVED]

Post by marin »

upgrade of NVidia driver to version 96.43.11 brought things back to normal.

editing th ~/.gtkrc-2.0 did not have any effect on the problem.

i'd like to thank everyone and close the topic. till next time.
tivasyk

Post by tivasyk »

the same problem here. occured immediately after installing proprietary nvidia driver (96.43.09) so i had no problem figuring out the reason =)

however no newer 96.x.x driver is available through standard mint repositories at this time =/ and i'm too lazy to install manually and fix this =) so... waiting for driver update in repositories.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Have you tried disabling the Xfce composite engine?
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Xfce”