Icons in the Start menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Icons in the Start menu

Post by GS3 »

When I create a Launcher/Shortcut on the desktop I can assign it an icon of my choosing (in "properties") but I have a bunch of shortcuts in the Start menu - Other that have no icon assigned and I do not know how I can assign them icons. How can I do it?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
T_Characht3r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Icons in the Start menu

Post by T_Characht3r »

Even though I use linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 32-bit, I'm pretty sure you can't change a shortcut if it is associated with a package installed on mint, at least from a user-friendly method.
Don't 'Wine' about emulating Windows.
if your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line.
*NOT SO ACTIVE, PM ME IF I FORGET A DISCUSSION .*
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

In Cinnamon Right click on the menu, select configure, navigate to menu, select Open the menu-editor.

Navigate to the menu item of interest, select properties, click on the icon place-holder image - select an icon from the file-picker dialog.

If you are not using Cinnamon please share which Desktop Environment you are using.
Last edited by smurphos on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

RMB on 'Menu' logo, select 'configure.'

In window that opens, select 'Menu' tab and 'Open the Menu Editor' option.

Navigate to the relevant file, highlight and select 'Properties' then in the subsequent detail window LMB on the image of the icon; this should open up a selector.

Works for me in LM18.3 Cinnamon x64 anyway.
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

:lol: Missed by that much...
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

At least we both had the same answer,.... :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Thank you both! I feel sheepish now seeing it was so obvious and easily found.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”