Well I give up

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Well I give up

Post by catweazel »

powerchord84 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:13 pm hah, your mom sounds awesome
I'm 85 and she's still kicking. I walk with a cane and she never fails to assert, "ladies before cripples!"
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

photonfanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm I'm not sure if there is any point to making this thread, other than I think everyone should talk about their experiences, so that the main issues that tend to bug everyone, get out into the public consciousness and may someday be fixed. These are just my experiences. That out of the way, be warned I'm not the type to sugar coat stuff so if you've got sensitive little Linux ears, you may not want to read further. I formatted my Mint SSD today, I'm gonna try Zorin. If that doesn't work out, I may end up trying something based on slackware or red hat. I'm seeking the distro that has the most polish. So in terms of polish for the desktop environment, yeah I want it to be just like Windows. Microsoft has poured hundreds of millions into their desktop environments, and it shows. I know you can't complain because Linux distros are generally free, but that doesn't make it any easier to give up the addiction when you've had a taste of the good stuff. There are a ton of little reasons I say this, and I doubt they'll ever be addressed because I tried 5, and 10 years ago and things were the same. So if it was going to get better, it would have by now.

But I am going to keep trying, to keep seeking that perfect linux distro for me. Its just that mint isn't it. I had issues with the 1440p monitor (going through all the settings that are scattered to the wind) and issues with getting everything to look the way I wanted. And to be completely honest I hate the look. I changed it a lot and it... still just looks like something from 2005. I need that modern look and feel. I've determined that I just can't be without it, so I have to seek it elsewhere. I'm a very visual person (probably more than most) and it has to be right. Suffice to say I probably could have adopted Mint Cinnamon 19 back in the Windows xp days. Or the early mac osx days. That era.

So thanks to all for the help, it is much appreciated.

I'm late to the party, but I absolutely, positively DESPISE "flat" desktops. I cannot think of a word that will describe how much I positively LOATHE them. They are the singlemost UGLIEST THINGS I have ever seen in my life, except for my boy's girlfriend. But I guess, if he likes her, it's on him...

I have BROKEN Arch installations trying to get my desktop to look the way I want. I am now breaking Mint systems trying to get them to look the way I want, thanks to the GTk3XX implementation. I have a $700 video card that is well capable of drawing a good-looking desktop, and I am at the mercy of some of the ugliest themes I have ever seen.

I suppose, after all, "newer" is "better", right?
/rant
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:27 am
I'm 85 and she's still kicking. I walk with a cane and she never fails to assert, "ladies before cripples!"
<SNERK!>

Ye Gods and little fishes. Mine's 96! (When I take her out for a ride I tell people, "Hey look! I took my antique out today!" :lol:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 am
<SNERK!>

Ye Gods and little fishes. Mine's 96! (When I take her out for a ride I tell people, "Hey look! I took my antique out today!" :lol:
lol - mothers :)

I was out with her shopping one day and someone we knew came up and said to me, "You're getting around really quick on that cane."

I said, "Yes," pointing to my mum, "it's made out of her broom!"

She handbagged me :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

photonfanatic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:49 am
In my long experience, the longer an os runs and the more time it has to "get used" to the computer, the less it crashes. Who knows. I figured it was just mint settling in, and that it would stop eventually and I wasn't worried about it.
Yea... no, mint doesn't do that.

Wow, there's a whole ton of great looking stuff in that desktop thread!

-crashing is not typical at all. The mass majority of users never experience it ever.
powerchord84

Post by powerchord84 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:58 am

<SNERK!>

I was out with her shopping one day and someone we knew came up and said to me, "You're getting around really quick on that cane."

This. The world needs more of this.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 am
Moem wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 am I don't get it... whenever I have to handle Windows it feels ugly to me.
To me, Windwoes 10 is just far too glary.
Causes Panic Attacks :mrgreen:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:58 am

<SNERK!>

As well she should have!! :lol:

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pepi wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am
catweazel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 am
Moem wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:12 am I don't get it... whenever I have to handle Windows it feels ugly to me.
To me, Windwoes 10 is just far too glary.
Causes Panic Attacks :mrgreen:
No, just sore eyes.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 am I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime
From your .sig. Does that include your partial trip around the outer edges of the galaxy, and does it include the up and down motion of the solar system in relation to the centre of the galaxy? If not, your calculations are a bit off.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 am I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime
From your .sig. Does that include your partial trip around the outer edges of the galaxy, and does it include the up and down motion of the solar system in relation to the centre of the galaxy? If not, your calculations are a bit off.
Gee...no it doesn't. You mean, I've gone even further than that? Also, I did not include the nearly 1.75M miles I have driven in my cars.

It also doesn't include any Astral Travelling, or otherwise spacing out... :wink:

Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 am
Is that the science homework for this week ?

" Calculate the extra distance arising from " out-of-plane " excursions by the solar system .
.... remember to show all workings in the margin . "

:mrgreen:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 am Gee...no it doesn't. You mean, I've gone even further than that? Also, I did not include the nearly 1.75M miles I have driven in my cars.

It also doesn't include any Astral Travelling, or otherwise spacing out... :wink:
lol
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 am " Calculate the extra distance arising from " out-of-plane " excursions by the solar system .
.... remember to show all workings in the margin . "
Indeed.

The first part of the solution is to work out the n-body problem for the Sun. For this, you will need to apply Newton’s law of gravity to every particle in the Sun to calculate a net force, followed by the application of Newton's second law of motion.

That's the n-body problem for three particles in the Sun.

To keep it on topic, I recommend you give up.
Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 am
The first part of the solution is to work out the n-body problem for the Sun. For this, you will need to apply Newton’s law of gravity to every particle in the Sun to calculate a net force, followed by the application of Newton's second law of motion.
Nah .... I'm not having any of that .
It just makes unnecessary work and headaches , where a " sum over all particles " approach would work fine .
catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 am To keep it on topic, I recommend you give up.
You're probably right .... I'll get my coat
:lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 am It just makes unnecessary work and headaches , where a " sum over all particles " approach would work fine .
It's even simpler if you treat the mass of the Sun as a single particle.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Don't forget the distance all those electrons rotating around all those atoms in your body, They've got to have travelled a few billion Km, too. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Uh...I'll stick with my original estimate, thanks...

:lol:

Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Telyx »

catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 am
Faust wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 am It just makes unnecessary work and headaches , where a " sum over all particles " approach would work fine .
I don't know why, but that reminds me of this one... "you know you're a mathematician if you assume a horse is a sphere to make the calculations easier."
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Telyx wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm
catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 am
I don't know why, but that reminds me of this one... "you know you're a mathematician if you assume a horse is a sphere to make the calculations easier."
Whoever thought that one up didn't think it through, though I suppose it was invented as a funny remark. It's easier to assume that the horse is an oblong block, and in reality, this is what calculus does; you can take an odd shape, morph it into one or more regular shapes and produce an estimate of its volume.

Return to “Open Chat”