MS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Esbeeb
Level 1
Level 1

MS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?

Post by Esbeeb »

Microsoft has made several gestures of goodwill towards the Linux community recently. They would like for us all to forget their past of loathing Linux, and fighting Linux tooth and nail pretty much to keep it off PCs.

What would YOU like to see Microsoft do, in order for them to prove that their new found love for Linux isn't just a sham to make money? What compatibility do they need to create to bridge the gaps to the Linux world (instead of ruthlessly creating gaps)?

Here's what I'd need to see, at least, to believe Microsoft:

All currently-supported versions of Windows (starting with Windows 10, and then working backwards to Windows 7) must fully support BTRFS (as a “first-class” filesystem, which just works “plug-and-play”), because BTRFS fully supports NTFS-style ACL’s, after all.
That is to say, when I plug in a USB stick, or external hard drive, formatted with BTRFS, Windows should open it (with full read-write access, creating no filesystem errors, allowing clean "Safe Removal"), and use ACL's in the same way as if I plugged the same thing in, NTFS-formatted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
--
- Linux Mint Mate, Asus Zenbook UX330U
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: MS loves Linux? What proof would YOU like to see of that?

Post by Pjotr »

Who cares what Microsoft does? We have something better. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't care how 'Microsoft' feels about 'Linux'. But on a practical level, I would welcome anything that makes it easier and more reliable (in the case of dual boot) to install Linux-based OSes on computers that were built with Windows in mind. In other words, don't try to lock in my hardware, and don't try to monkey up people's installations if they have chosen to dual boot.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Esbeeb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Esbeeb »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am Who cares what Microsoft does? We have something better. :mrgreen:
Microsoft can and regularly does make our lives hell (though various breakages in compatibility), so I think we need to care at least that much.

For example, Microsoft invented UEFI, then aggressively pushed all motherboard manufacturers to support it, then require it.

UEFI has been a major thorn in the side of the linux community for a long, long time. How long did it take for all the major distros to have good UEFI support? Like a decade?

Another big example: Microsoft also invented ACPI (when APM support in Linux had a far better chance of getting all sorted out cleanly), which is something that Linux distros have struggled like forever to support well (and this is still ongoing, and is far from sorted out for all the mobo types, and other related hardware, out there).
--
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Esbeeb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 amWhat would YOU like to see Microsoft do, in order for them to prove that their new found love for Linux isn't just a sham to make money?
What nonsense is this? Microsoft is a publicly traded company, of course their goal is to make money. It has to be.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Paranoid tinfoil hatted rubbish, nas ignorant as always. MS has been one of the biggest corporate contirbutors to the kernel project for YEARS. Why does Mint atttract so many conspicacy nuts???
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

An interesting question. Microsoft undoubtedly only loves Linux for clouds and servers, not as a competing OS for consumer devices. So whether their love for Linux is genuine or not, it's a bit moot for us here right? I think they will be doing little of immediate use for us here.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 am Paranoid tinfoil hatted rubbish, nas ignorant as always. MS has been one of the biggest corporate contirbutors to the kernel project for YEARS. Why does Mint atttract so many conspicacy nuts???
This is demonstrable false and untrue. Don't be boorish; check your facts and be civil.

The (roughly) yearly kernel development reports from the Linux Foundation have a chapter on who is sponsoring the work. While Microsoft made about 1% of the changes around 2012 [2], both before and after [1,3,4,5,6] they have not made it into the top 30 or warranted any mention. Microsoft's work on the Linux kernel around 2012 was almost exclusively to add kernel drivers for its Hyper-V virtualization hypervisor [7].

The top contributors are pretty much who you'd expect. Companies like Intel, Red Hat, IBM, Samsung, SUSE, Google, AMD... Not Microsoft, except for their Hyper-V driver work around 2012.

Sources:
Esbeeb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Esbeeb »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm Sources:
Microsoft no longer a top Linux kernel contributor
Thanks for the highly civilized, constructive post, free of any Ad Hominem attacks.
--
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I think M$ needs to prove its love with a sacrifice.

Get rid of UEFI.

Prove your love M$. We all know your creepy.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Esbeeb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 am Here's what I'd need to see, at least, to believe Microsoft:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ian-inXile - Microsoft Acquires Obsidian & inXile Entertainment
Written by Michael Larabel in Linux Gaming on 10 November 2018

M$ does not really love Linux. M$ only loves $$$$ and herself.

M$ saves $$$$ by using free Linux for her Azure and One Drive Cloud Data-servers, as do Google, Intel, IBM, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

M$ has been doing everything in her power to prevent free Linux from displacing non-free Windows in the desktop OS market. Some OEMs have even colluded with M$ in her anti-Linux efforts, eg the proprietary Intel RST RAID-disk driver and Intel Optane RAM/memory; and from 2020 onward, all new Intel processors will only support UEFI, ie no more Legacy BIOS.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in order to use that WSL - - you Still Have to Buy a Copy of their Windows System.
:roll:
Esbeeb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 am For example, Microsoft invented UEFI, then aggressively pushed all motherboard manufacturers to support it, then require it.

UEFI has been a major thorn in the side of the linux community for a long, long time. How long did it take for all the major distros to have good UEFI support? Like a decade?
That UEFI & that Secure_Boot are an example of why "MS loves Linux" - Not.
- - that's their way to Protect their Windows Product.
:twisted:

allowing it to be easier to Install an Alternative System, to their main product,
- would be one way to show Proof of an Better Community Attitude.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's stay on topic; the question was what would make you believe Microsoft loves Linux.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

What would YOU like to see Microsoft do = Where the sun don't shine
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Make direct X open source, and allow it to be used by every Linux Distro out there, as well as release the complete source code for Windows 3.1/3.11/95/98. Then make MS Office available for Linux.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Well if M$ behaved logically for once it would drop the hindrances to alternative OS's once it reaches the cloud platform nirvana it's currently striving for, after all since it wont be a desktop OS anymore why would it want to hinder what "used" to be it's rivals? Of course it wont though because it throw away long term logic thinking years ago.... or it's completely logical and there's another agenda we can only speculate on.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The proof I'd like to see is that they fix their updates so that they do NOT destroy Linux partitions .. and if it does happen, THEY pay for (or even provide*) forensic data recovery services, which as anyone who has looked into will know, is rather expensive.

Just my 2p worth. :wink:

*With appropriate privacy clause with respect to personal data.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

BG405 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm The proof I'd like to see is that they fix their updates so that they do NOT destroy Linux partitions .. and if it does happen, ...........................
Does this actually happen?
I assume it does....................how can it happen?

My question is from a position of comparative ignorance.

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Wompoo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 am
BG405 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm The proof I'd like to see is that they fix their updates so that they do NOT destroy Linux partitions [ ... ]
Does this actually happen?
No. But what can and did happen for the "Fall Creators Update" of autumn 2017 is the update inserting some form of restore partition in between Windows and Linux partitions, causing the first stage of GRUB on an MBR systems to potentially fail to locate its second stage and, thus, drop the user to a rescue prompt. Or reset the boot- order on a UEFI system to boot directly into Windows, re-enable secure and/or fast boot --- and/or all of the above.

It's basically expected that any major Windows update will bugger your bootloader but that's never been different either. That is, although you may need to be fairly technically competent to be able to unbugger, actual partitions being destroyed has never happened other than as a result of user error.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Getting tired of ignorant paranoid MS rants, and I haven't had any WIndows installed for years.

There are a number of large corporations who work on the Kernel Project, and Microsoft has been one of the top contributors for years.

The REAL enemy of Linux is cloud computing but none of these ranters ever seem to be able to understand that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”